High Court backs ban on pet shock collars in Wales

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby TheRedQueen » November 17th, 2010, 12:04 am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-11763664

A ban on the use of electric shock collars to train cats and dogs in Wales has been upheld by the High Court.

The legislation was passed in March but challenged by Petsafe Ltd, which makes pet products, and the Electronic Collar Manufacturers Association.

Sitting at the High Court in London, the judge dismissed the challenge and ruled the ban lawful.

The assembly government's ban had attracted support from animal welfare groups such as the RSPCA.

"A number of groups, including the Kennel Club, have been campaigning for some time to ban them because they have the potential to have adverse consequences for animals, and are cruel and unnecessary.

"Others maintain the scientific evidence does not support a ban or regulation, and that the devices help to avoid injury to animals on roads or at the hands of farmers protecting their stock."

Continue reading the main story

Start Quote
In Wales, reward-based training and control of animals is acceptable... the use of collars which deliver an electric shock to a dog or cat is not”
End Quote
Elin Jones

Rural Affairs Minister
The legislation prohibits the use on cats or dogs of any electronic collar designed to administer an electric shock.

Rural Affairs Minister Elin Jones said: "The decision to ban the use of these shock collars came after three separate public consultations and notification to the European Commission.

"Legislation to implement the ban was passed unanimously by the National Assembly for Wales on 23 March, 2010 and came into effect the following day.

"Today's decision vindicates our careful approach in making these regulations.

"In Wales, reward-based training and control of animals is acceptable. The use of collars which deliver an electric shock to a dog or cat is not."
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby maberi » November 17th, 2010, 4:59 pm

Wow :shock:

I wonder how they plan on enforcing that
Look beyond what your own eyes see
maberi
I Save My Empty Calories For The Bottle

Postby furever_pit » November 17th, 2010, 8:53 pm

Seems pretty unenforceable to me. It will also probably be pretty costly to attempt to enforce it too.

Regardless of my opinion on e-collars, these kinds of laws and bans really irk me. Dogs are property and I don't think it is really anyone's right to tell people what they can or can't do with their dogs (exempting outright neglect or abuse of course). This is the kind of thinking that led to hog hunting with dogs being banned in certain areas, hunting dog competitions being made unlawful, and that will also continue to threaten all the sports/jobs that people participate in with their dogs that the general public and the government do not understand.

Seems like a darn shame to me to be honest.
furever_pit
Supremely Bully

Postby mnp13 » November 18th, 2010, 1:48 pm

I can't imagine how it will be enforceable. They probably won't sell them, and people will end up reporting other people for having them from other areas.

Like I said in another thread, the public's view of e-collars is very skewed. Many people call it "abuse" if you use one for training, but then talk about how awesome Invisible Fence is. I listened to that discussion in person, and couldn't believe my ears...
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Return to Training & Behavior