male dog leg lifting question

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby Ino » November 27th, 2009, 6:05 pm

I don't know if this is a common behavior, but Ino has taken to lifting his hind leg and propping it up on the neighbors 12 y/o German Shepherd's head (only her- not the Beagle or Lab mix) when she lowers it to play with a ball or sniff something :| . It happens quite often, but it does not appear to be sexual (no thrusting and as my friend puts it- his lip stick is away). There is no thrusting or anything like that- it is more like a urination leg lift. First he walks by her a few times real close to her head- but in a low (submissive appearing) stance like he does when he is about to submit to her. Once she does not react with a growl after a few times of rubbing his whole body against her head and sniffing or licking her mouth, he slowly props his hind leg up and relaxes it on her head. I am not sure if it is a dominance thing- he has always acted in a way overly submissive with her. She surprisingly does not seem to mind the leg propped on her head :crazy2: and she has always been the dominant one with Ino and the Lab mix. An example of the overly submitting thing is he lets her pin him over and over but then he starts provoking her to keep doing it. He also rolls on his back sometimes after she pins him. Not sure if he qualifies as an example in the post on being aggressively obsequious. Just wondering what you guys think the reason is for it??? He seems to treat her almost like a mother and definately has a different relationship with her then he does with the Lab mix (really submissive and more calm/gentle). She has been around him several hours every day since he was 8 weeks old.
Ino
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby TheRedQueen » November 29th, 2009, 10:46 am

That's a new one for me...interesting behavior. Ripley used to stand over other dog's heads...mainly his big brother...just hover over his head with a "what?!?!" look on his face. Never was a humper, just stood like that.

I would definitely term him aggressively obsequious based on what you've written...but as long as she doesn't mind, I wouldn't worry too much. Just be careful with him greeting other dogs that he doesn't know as well, and that aren't as patient. :rolleyes2:
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby Ino » November 29th, 2009, 11:02 am

Thanks for the reply :D . Actually, come to think of it- when he does greet other dogs, he stays calm and lets them sniff him completely and remains totally still (appearing submissive) until they are done. He has always lifted his leg for them so they can smell his male area when they get to it. He has done that since he was very young and maybe that is part of it. The Shepherd also has the tendency to smell his area when they are playing and he rolls on his back so it could be that he thinks she finds that area interesting and he uses it as an advantage to distract her. Maybe it is a way to get her to drop the ball by making himself seem unthreatening?? It is kind of comical when he does it because he is real slick about it and always gets what he wants when he does it (the ball or whatever she was playing with), but I am not sure how well received it would be with other dogs. Luckily- other than letting another dog sniff him there when they first meet (he just lifts his leg a little but does not prop it up on their head)- it seems to be a behavior specific to her, and she seems to not mind at all :| .
Ino
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby TheRedQueen » November 29th, 2009, 11:06 am

Yeah, I do know some dogs that lift their leg for easy access...(hussies!) :wink: It seems to be that funny mixture of submission and confidence... :|

My guys will do certain things to good friends and relatives that they would NEVER think of doing to strange dogs. Score ADORES nibbling on Inara's back fur...and it gets her to play. He doesn't do this to any other dog...until this morning, he did the same thing to Dove, a field spaniel who is here for Service Dog training. He hasn't seen her for almost a year...and she was a puppy when she stayed here. I think he was excited to see her! lol
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen

Postby Ino » November 29th, 2009, 11:19 am

Aww- glad they are having a reunion!!! :D Ino definately is different with each dog- he is extremely gentle with the lil old beagle, a bit more playful with the Shepherd- but still pretty careful because she is old, and all out rough and tumble playful with the Lab mix. He loves to be chased so he goes slow when the Shepherd is chasing him- but just fast enough that she does not catch him until he wants her to. Then they both play tug-o-war but he does not pull with her like he does the Lab. It is comical watching 2 big dogs grip a tennis ball or small stick together lol!!
Ino
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby TheRedQueen » November 29th, 2009, 11:47 am

Ino wrote:Aww- glad they are having a reunion!!! :D Ino definately is different with each dog- he is extremely gentle with the lil old beagle, a bit more playful with the Shepherd- but still pretty careful because she is old, and all out rough and tumble playful with the Lab mix. He loves to be chased so he goes slow when the Shepherd is chasing him- but just fast enough that she does not catch him until he wants her to. Then they both play tug-o-war but he does not pull with her like he does the Lab. It is comical watching 2 big dogs grip a tennis ball or small stick together lol!!

He definitely sounds like a good player...he knows when to self-handicap himself, which is lovely to see! What a good boy!

TheRedQueen

Postby Ino » November 29th, 2009, 12:03 pm

He really is a good sport. The Lab mix gets snotty with him sometimes because she does not like that the Shepherd is the alpha in the pack (which Ino could care less about)- so when the Shepherd tries to pin the lab, she gets mad and nips at Ino because she knows the Shepherd won't put up with her if she gets nasty to her. He so far has tolerated it every time. He may punch her (he learned to swat like the cats) but he can manage to turn it into play and get her to drop the attitude. I think if I were a dog- I'd have kicked her butt a long time ago!!! He is 2X her weight and is much stronger but he tolerates her at her worst. They act like brother and sister!!!!
Ino
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Return to Training & Behavior