I had the boys "evaluated" today... (very long)

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby Miss_Pits » January 6th, 2010, 10:22 am

:goodStuff:

Very well said Michelle!
Amanda

Dogs are miracles with paws.
Miss_Pits
Just Whelped

Postby TheRedQueen » January 6th, 2010, 10:32 am

I told *my* John about this (for those that don't know...he's ALSO in a wheelchair)...and his first comment was..."if something were to go wrong at the dog park, how in the world would he be able to stop that fight?" :confused:

We're all for the right of the disabled...but part of being disabled (a lot like training dogs with issues) is to NOT put yourself in bad situations where you're gonna have trouble. My John can't imagine taking ANY of our dogs to the dog park by himself for "training" or "socialization"...much less take someone's admittedly STRONG pit bull. :nono: Seriously...wtf?

I mean, the whole thing is pissing me off...as a trainer, as a dog owner, as a woman...but this is one part that's really sticking in our craws. And honestly, at least a quarter of the dogs that meet *my* John for the first time have trouble with the moving scooter (wheelchair)...it's not anything from which we judge the dog! :doh:
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby TinaMartin » January 6th, 2010, 1:21 pm

All I got is wow :shock: Both dogs have names. They are not non entities. Any "trainer" that cant give a dog his given identity has no true interest in what needs to be done for the dog. His name is Sepple not that dog. There is so much wrong with what he said I have trouble with seeing anything right. Thank you Michelle for touching on those points so nicely. I am not sure I could have worded a response so nicely.
Not only am I a member of the Michelle says my dog is fat club I'm the president!
I can Alpha Roll hair!
TinaMartin
The Hair Whisperer

Postby amazincc » January 6th, 2010, 3:24 pm

TheRedQueen wrote:I told *my* John about this (for those that don't know...he's ALSO in a wheelchair)...and his first comment was..."if something were to go wrong at the dog park, how in the world would he be able to stop that fight?" :confused:

To quote this John -
"My being in a wheel chair is actually going to work to your advantage, because if I can handle your dog, so can you."
:|

Michelle - requesting permission to forward your post via e-mail. :D

I had already given John a PBT card when we met... I don't know if he has checked out the forum or not.
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby mnp13 » January 6th, 2010, 3:38 pm

"My being in a wheel chair is actually going to work to your advantage, because if I can handle your dog, so can you."

Conversely, if he does something that he absolutely can not handle and he is alone (like a dog park), whose advantage is that?

lol

I was really writing that for our amusement, but go ahead and send it if you want, he's welcome to come here and respond. :wink:
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby TheRedQueen » January 6th, 2010, 6:18 pm

mnp13 wrote:

Conversely, if he does something that he absolutely can not handle and he is alone (like a dog park), whose advantage is that?

lol

I was really writing that for our amusement, but go ahead and send it if you want, he's welcome to come here and respond. :wink:

John wants to know if he's willing to fall out of his wheelchair to protect your dogs...maybe you should email him that question... :rolleyes2:
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby amazincc » January 6th, 2010, 6:35 pm

TheRedQueen wrote:John wants to know if he's willing to fall out of his wheelchair to protect your dogs...maybe you should email him that question... :rolleyes2:

He wasn't even willing to "fall out of his wheelchair" when Sepp head-butted him while saying "hi"... so, I'm thinking no. lol
Not to mention that he brings his own dogs as well while training other peoples'... at a dog park. Bad idea, even if you're a walkie. :nono:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby Patch O' Pits » January 9th, 2010, 2:45 pm

Wow I misses all this...

I hope you find a good trainer that you are totally comfortable with to work with you.

You may want to check out some group classes when you are up for it.

Hugs for you and the "kids" :wave2:
Patch O' Pits Pursuit-O-Perfection

Run Hard at the Rainbow Bridge My Angel Sock-M! I Love You Baby Girl! Now that your Mom Starlit is up there too, please help her learn the ropes, love and keep her company until I can see you both again. Starlit I love you!
http://i14.tinypic.com/2a8q345.jpg
Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Previous

Return to Training & Behavior