My next brats evaluation

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby furever_pit » December 9th, 2009, 2:33 pm

My first thought is that she reminds me of Gator. lol
He will pop up and try to take treats or bark if he thinks I am being too slow with the treats. I just ignore him until he does what I had asked him to. Such a stinker that boy!

Your Jekyll and Hyde comment made me laugh too. My Mom witnessed a "come to Jesus" moment between me and one of the dogs a week or so ago and her reaction totally cracked me up...it was like I had grown a second head right in front of her. haha.
furever_pit
Supremely Bully

Postby maberi » December 9th, 2009, 2:59 pm

furever_pit wrote:My first thought is that she reminds me of Gator. lol
He will pop up and try to take treats or bark if he thinks I am being too slow with the treats. I just ignore him until he does what I had asked him to. Such a stinker that boy!

I agree

It is not uncommon for dogs to try different things to get a treat when they think they have done the correct behavior but the reward doesn't come when learning a new behavior. I would ignore the mouthing and click for the correct behavior. As long as you are consistent, the mouthing should die fairly quickly when she figures out that doesn't get her what she wants. I would be careful about giving her any feedback when she does mouth because she could interpret this as something positive.
Look beyond what your own eyes see
maberi
I Save My Empty Calories For The Bottle

Postby maberi » December 9th, 2009, 3:23 pm

One other thing to consider

The owners might say to you that this dog already knows sit. I would argue that although the dog might know sit at home, she probably doesn't know the command in a strange building with a new handler and a lot of distractions around her. When you add the fact that she might be new to the clicker and you are now adding duration, you start seeing some outward frustration when she doesn't get the reward when she is used to it coming.
maberi

Postby mnp13 » December 9th, 2009, 3:41 pm

I'm not adding duration with her, I was waiting for her to sit - not waiting to give her the treat after the sit.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby maberi » December 9th, 2009, 4:13 pm

maberi wrote:One other thing to consider

The owners might say to you that this dog already knows sit. I would argue that although the dog might know sit at home, she probably doesn't know the command in a strange building with a new handler and a lot of distractions around her. When you add the fact that she might be new to the clicker and you are now adding duration, you start seeing some outward frustration when she doesn't get the reward when she is used to it coming.

Well than I would argue all of the above points minus the duration.

Earl knows how to turn in a circle right and left on cue. If I handed him off to you in the building he runs flyball in and told you to give him those commands he probably wouldn't respond. Or he might turn to the right (more natural for him) but blow off the left turns and jump up on you to get the treat. I'm the only person Earl has ever worked with so he generalizes some of his commands very poorly with other people, especially when you add environmental stimuli to the situation.

IMHO the mouthing of the arm is frustration because she isn't clear as to what you want from her.
maberi

Previous

Return to Training & Behavior