Training.

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby Megumi-Oni » October 14th, 2009, 11:47 am

I was told to post up my intro to the training session to generate some lively discussion. Please feel free to find my intro, as I am new and still learning to navigate this forum.

With that said, I'd like to read more from this section and find out what people are doing. I use Bark Busters of Central CT, and I've had great success so far. The name doesn't really give justice to their vast skills and knowledge, but I'll let you all research that program if you choose. For now, I'm simply trying to solicit ideas for discussion.

Thanks!
Megumi-Oni
Just Whelped

Postby maberi » October 14th, 2009, 12:19 pm

I've never heard of Bark Busters but checked out their website. I'm always a little skeptical of chain dog training businesses but I'm glad it is working for you guys.

I took their test to see if my dogs needed their training and got a C. Naughty naughty dogs :|

Problem areas for me

1.) When the doorbell rings, does your dog bark and/or run to the door? Frequently

2.) Does your dog jump up on visitors (and sometimes on you)? Sometimes

3.) Does your dog chew on things like shoes, children's toys, or trash? Sometimes

4.) Does your dog play too roughly with children and/or adults? Sometimes

5.) Does your dog dig holes in the yard? Sometimes

6.) Does your dog "steal" items such as food from counters or tables? Sometimes

7.) When in a "stay," does your dog leave the stay before being released? Sometimes (Kayden)

8.) Does your dog show aggression or unfriendliness toward other dogs or people? Sometimes

9.) Does your dog run ahead of you up/down stairs and/or through doorways? Sometimes (if I don't ask them to wait)

10.) Does your dog walk ahead of you or pull you when on the leash? Sometimes

11.) Has your dog ever bitten a person or another dog? Yes
Look beyond what your own eyes see
maberi
I Save My Empty Calories For The Bottle

Postby mnp13 » October 14th, 2009, 12:50 pm

Megumi-Oni wrote:I was told to post up my intro to the training session to generate some lively discussion. Please feel free to find my intro, as I am new and still learning to navigate this forum.

Just copy and paste, you can do it, I have faith in you :wink:

With that said, I'd like to read more from this section and find out what people are doing. I use Bark Busters of Central CT, and I've had great success so far. The name doesn't really give justice to their vast skills and knowledge, but I'll let you all research that program if you choose. For now, I'm simply trying to solicit ideas for discussion.

If you're using it, why don't you tell us about it? Why do you like it? What drew you to it?

I just read what Matt posted, and I think Ruby and Riggs are gonna fail... I'm waiting on the emails, but Ruby got a C and Riggs got a D.

Some of the questions are pretty subjective. What is "playing too rough"? Most people would have heard failure over all three of our dog's version of play, and I honestly think it's 100% normal. Connor is a true saint and is able to temper his play style so that he can play with a 3 year old or a 30 year old, my two are just wacko but I like them that way and I don't think they are "too rough" they are just not appropriate for kids.

Ruby - C
When the doorbell rings, does your dog bark and/or run to the door? frequently
Does your dog demand attention by nudging your arm? frequently
Does your dog jump up on visitors (and sometimes on you)? sometimes
Does your dog ignore you when you call him to come? sometimes
Does your dog bark while outside, at passers-by, or just about anything? sometimes
When left alone, does your dog show visible signs of stress or anxiety? frequently
Does your dog "steal" items such as food from counters or tables? frequently
Does your dog run ahead of you up/down stairs and/or through doorways? sometimes
Does your dog walk ahead of you or pull you when on the leash? sometimes
Has your dog ever bitten a person or another dog? yes

Riggs' email isn't showing up for some reason... but he had 'sometimes' on all the bad ones. lol
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Malli » October 14th, 2009, 1:25 pm

:nono: :rolleyes2:

only a 66
While these dogs need training, frequently they don't receive it because their annoying behaviors are "just not bad enough." It's unfortunate because "C" dogs can improve quickly and bring great joy and happiness to families. And, with training, the owner can be assured the behaviors will only get better -- not worse

clearly I've not given Oscar the training he deserves.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby mnp13 » October 14th, 2009, 1:38 pm

Malli wrote:clearly I've not given Oscar the training he deserves.

You're a bad bad owner. :bitchSlap:
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby furever_pit » October 14th, 2009, 1:42 pm

Dylan got a 48 (B). I'm not even bothering to do the puppy because, well he's not trained. lol

I have a few clients who have used Bark Busters and who have liked it. I do like the fact that they have a guarantee type thing so that if you have problems later on down the road a trainer can come and give you a refresher. On the other hand, I don't particularly like the heavy reliance on noise sensitivity. (For example, throwing a bag of nuts and bolts to the floor when the dog barks.) So I, personally, would not use them.
furever_pit
Supremely Bully

Postby Marinepits » October 14th, 2009, 1:51 pm

furever_pit wrote: (For example, throwing a bag of nuts and bolts to the floor when the dog barks.)

Oh, HELL no! Not on my wood floors! :cuss: :lol3:
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby Marinepits » October 14th, 2009, 2:12 pm

Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby mnp13 » October 14th, 2009, 2:43 pm

furever_pit wrote: (For example, throwing a bag of nuts and bolts to the floor when the dog barks.)

ooooooo.... sort of like using a penny can?

Those work really well!

Here is Connor with his.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByteOS5SE6k
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby katiek0417 » October 14th, 2009, 4:02 pm

Cy got a 100 (D).... :? :rolleyes2: :crazy2:
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby Malli » October 14th, 2009, 4:18 pm

katiek0417 wrote:Cy got a 100 (D).... :? :rolleyes2: :crazy2:

show off.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby TheRedQueen » October 14th, 2009, 4:26 pm

:cry2: Score is crying quietly in the corner...he got a C for the first time in his life... :sad2:

Score's Quiz Score: 55
Grade: C While these dogs need training, frequently they don't receive it because their annoying behaviors are "just not bad enough." It's unfortunate because "C" dogs can improve quickly and bring great joy and happiness to families. And, with training, the owner can be assured the behaviors will only get better -- not worse.
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby katiek0417 » October 14th, 2009, 4:50 pm

Malli wrote:
katiek0417 wrote:Cy got a 100 (D).... :? :rolleyes2: :crazy2:

show off.

lol :mrgreen:

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby Megumi-Oni » October 14th, 2009, 5:05 pm

Wow! Guys, thanks for taking off with this one!

Yeah, I'll tell you more about Bark Busters later when I get home.

I'm glad some of you have found that quiz... it's fun! I think Megumi got an 88 or something.

I'll take it again and post up!!

Yey!
Megumi-Oni
Just Whelped

Postby Malli » October 14th, 2009, 5:39 pm

TheRedQueen wrote::cry2: Score is crying quietly in the corner...he got a C for the first time in his life... :sad2:

Score's Quiz Score: 55
Grade: C While these dogs need training, frequently they don't receive it because their annoying behaviors are "just not bad enough." It's unfortunate because "C" dogs can improve quickly and bring great joy and happiness to families. And, with training, the owner can be assured the behaviors will only get better -- not worse.

Its ok, Oscar and score got the same grade ;)
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby furever_pit » October 14th, 2009, 6:13 pm

mnp13 wrote:

ooooooo.... sort of like using a penny can?

Those work really well!

Here is Connor with his.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByteOS5SE6k

LOL
I understand that the method does work with some dogs, I'm not disputing that. I just prefer not to use them on my dogs. For one, I know both my dogs would think it was a toy. And two, I don't like to encourage noise sensitivity in my working dogs.

I just took the test for Gator, the puppy. He got a 116.
This category of dogs has issues that can be serious if not addressed soon. Owners of these dogs are constantly being annoyed and irritated by their behavior and are beginning to think, "Something has got to be done." Fortunately, dogs can change their behavior quite easily, so these owners should seek help immediately.

And I can say that I do not feel this way about my little man. He's mostly funny, sometimes annoying...but I know he's gonna be an awesome dog when he grows up a little.
furever_pit
Supremely Bully

Postby TheRedQueen » October 15th, 2009, 12:05 am

Sawyer got an 85...who let this dog be a Service Dog? :nono:

Inara got a 68

Ripley got a 32...because he's an old man lump now. :giggle:
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen

Postby katiek0417 » October 15th, 2009, 5:11 am

furever_pit wrote:LOL
I understand that the method does work with some dogs, I'm not disputing that. I just prefer not to use them on my dogs. For one, I know both my dogs would think it was a toy. And two, I don't like to encourage noise sensitivity in my working dogs.

I agree 100% with this...I've seen several working dogs with noise issues, and most are created in some way...so I don't like to use sounds they may eventually hear in a trial as a correction....of course, I think about how most of my dogs would react...and they'd probably go after it and bite it...but still not risking it!

TheRedQueen wrote:Sawyer got an 85...who let this dog be a Service Dog? :nono:

Inara got a 68

Ripley got a 32...because he's an old man lump now. :giggle:

Well, I know how you answered the question about him jumping on people :wink: lol

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby TheRedQueen » October 15th, 2009, 9:14 am

lol

It didn't ask if you *wanted* the dog to jump on you or not... :dance:

TheRedQueen

Postby katiek0417 » October 15th, 2009, 9:58 am

TheRedQueen wrote:lol

It didn't ask if you *wanted* the dog to jump on you or not... :dance:

Semantics! :wink:

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy