Canine Good Citizen Test

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby maberi » October 3rd, 2009, 9:10 pm

There are some members on here who give the test, so they can give you specifics on how the whining affects the test. My guess is that if it is just a couple of whimpers when you leave, you will be fine.

That was the hardest part of the test for Earl. Earl won't stand nicely for someone else on a leash (tries to pull them across the building) so I worked on putting him in a down stay after I left. We worked up slowly increasing the time I was out of site, and everytime I came back and he held his down stay, he got huge rewards (fed him his dinner this way for a few weeks).

Once they realize you being out of site isn't a big deal (and equals good rewards), the stress level will go down. Just keep practicing, keep things positive and you guys will be fine.
Look beyond what your own eyes see
maberi
I Save My Empty Calories For The Bottle

Postby katiek0417 » October 3rd, 2009, 10:55 pm

I'm a CGC evaluator, and I usually allow a whimper or two when the owner first leaves. However, if it turns in to (or even starts) as howling or screaming, I will fail them...if they whimper a couple of times then become interested in other things, and ignore the fact that the owner leaves, then I will still pass the dog...

ETA I also don't like if the dog starts to show excessive anxiety like pacing, constantly pulling towards where they saw the owner leave, etc...

I agree with Matt...start leaving him, then giving him big rewards when you return.
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Return to Training & Behavior