Fixing Crabbing in an Attention Heel

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby TheRedQueen » October 14th, 2009, 11:26 am

maberi wrote:
TheRedQueen wrote:I've been playing around with Score with the platform (about 2-3 inches with rubber matting) to help with his hind-end awareness. He's very good, but it's a fun thing to do. I've been working on him moving his back legs onto the platform, without getting his front legs on...he's got to back up and put them up. He's really having to concentrate...fantastic! :D

It will be even cooler when you can take the platform away and get him into a handstand :wink:

I KNOW! :shock: If I ever got off my butt and trained more...lol
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby furever_pit » October 14th, 2009, 11:45 am

maberi wrote:I was curious how tight you want your dog up against you in the heel position when sitting. I've noticed some handlers have their dogs shoulder touching their leg, while other have a few inches between them and their dogs. Kayden tends to stick his head out to the left away from me so he can see my face (short neck syndrome).

I'm glad that the perch method is working out for you. I think it is a pretty fun exercise and Dylan seems to enjoy it too.

I actually didn't give a whole lot of thought to whether or not Dylan's shoulder was touching me when he is sitting in the heel position. It just kind of worked out that way. But, I do like that that is how it has worked out for us. If nothing else, I can call Dylan into a heel with my eyes closed and I'll know when he gets there. lol

If Kayden is sticking his head out to the left in order to see you maybe it would be better for him to be allowed to sit just an inch or two from you? I would be careful about how much space you allow between the two of you. Personally, I prefer a tighter heel.
furever_pit
Supremely Bully

Previous

Return to Training & Behavior