Showing HA at 10 months? (long read)

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby freakfingers12 » August 29th, 2009, 1:03 pm

Hello there guys, I am new here and I have an APBT at 10 months old named Dimebag. Here's where I need your help.

He has been showing aggression towards my friends lately and I think it is quite serious. I don't know if it is okay for a puppy to bark and jump and bite on clothes of a stranger, but he did that to my friends. I couldn't control him. Behind the locked gates, he kept bashing on the gates wanting to "attack" my friends who stands on the other side of the gates. I leashed him and tried to bring him closer to my friends. Along the way I gave him commands like sit and stay repetitively. He obeyed but as soon as I say okay or the treats are finished, he scamper and lounges towards my friends. He even tried to climb on my friends who remained calm. I quickly snapped on his leash before he could go any further afraid he would really bite them.

An accident happened when he was on the leash, and my friend suddenly panicked when a vase fell off and broke. My dog diverted his attention towards my friend and ran over to him and bit off his clothes. During the "attack", he seemed to pull back a little and instead of biting real hard, he kinda nipped the clothes. But later, he continues to bark and jump again like crazy.

My friends tried to feed him treats and give him belly rubs, but he wouldn't let my friends anywhere near him. Whenever they approach, he stood his ground as if ready for battle.

Days before, I introduced a friend of mine to him outside of my house. He growls a little bit because my friend was holding a puppy. But I snapped on his leash and then he was okay with him as well as the puppy. He even showed love towards the puppy. Played with her and cuddled her. It was easier than the aggression at home. He also got along well with my friend's parents when introduced outside of the house.

Another incident happened in the house when one of my friend got his pants ripped by my dog. My dog doesn't seem too angry or furious at him but he bit his pants into pieces.

I tried another method. I had my friends standing close behind me and walking around the house. I leashed my dog and whenever he sits or stays or as long as he doesn't pull or bark, I treat him and praise him many many times. Soon, the barking and jumping towards my friends got lesser and lesser. Still, that was for one day's work. I hope he doesn't forget that tomorrow.

I also realise that he barks less after exercising. But he still does it!

I hope you guys could advice me on my dog's behaviour. I wonder if it is normal for a 10 months young puppy.

Thank you.
freakfingers12
Just Whelped

Postby amazincc » August 29th, 2009, 3:51 pm

First a couple of questions... is Dimebag neutered? Do you practice NILIF? How old was he when he left his Mom/siblings? How do you "discipline" him when he acts up?

From your description he doesn't sound HA, per say, but he sounds like he needs better manners when greeting and interacting w/people... and I personally think he's definitely too old and too big to be "mouthing" people (and clothing).

Has he ever been evaluated by a behaviorist? How is he at vet visits?
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby iluvk9 » August 29th, 2009, 4:20 pm

I am NO trainer, but I would like to suggest you get this under control before someone gets seriously hurt.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby cheekymunkee » August 29th, 2009, 10:07 pm

At that age dogs kind of lose their minds & act like brats. It is called the teenage years, although it usually doesnt last long. That being said it sounds to me as if he is in dire need of training and a firm hand ( not a spanking just someone to show him who is boss). Do a search for NILF ( nothing is life is free) and practice it religiously with him. And in the mean time you may want to look for a behaviorist in your area to see if there are any other problems that need addressing. Where do you live?
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby freakfingers12 » August 29th, 2009, 10:20 pm

Hey amazincc, Dimebag is not neutered yet. I plan to neuter him at 12 months old. I've heard of NILIF but I don't really went through to read about it. I got him when he was 7 months old. He was with his mother and father at that time. When he acts up I ask him to sit and treat him. Or ignore him until he shows the right behaviour then treat him. Or pull on his collar and say no to him. It depends on the situation.

I hope this is his brat stage. But this is extremely abnormal and I can't tolerate biting a human at all! I don't know what to do. I don't want to euthanise him...
freakfingers12
Just Whelped

Postby kera09 » August 29th, 2009, 10:48 pm

Dimebag is not neutered yet. I plan to neuter him at 12 say no to him.

why are you waiting?? Neuter him asap and talk to an animal behaviorist.
duge, ava, lulu and martini's momma :)
kera09
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby freakfingers12 » August 29th, 2009, 11:04 pm

Well I haven't contacted any professional behaviourist yet. I do not know anyone in my area. I'll have to ask around asap. And I am in Malaysia btw.

When we're out, for vet visits, to parks, to friends' house; he gets really quiet and obedient. He gets along pretty well with every human or dog outside.

kera09, it is due to some financial issues I am having right now. :wink: Also I heard that this is the time for them to fill out and if neutered now, he might not be as filled out as he is supposed to. Really?
freakfingers12
Just Whelped

Postby kera09 » August 29th, 2009, 11:58 pm

im not to sure if thats true or not...do they have any low cost spay/neuter programs around you?
duge, ava, lulu and martini's momma :)
kera09
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Marinepits » August 30th, 2009, 8:40 am

cheekymunkee wrote:At that age dogs kind of lose their minds & act like brats. It is called the teenage years, although it usually doesnt last long. That being said it sounds to me as if he is in dire need of training and a firm hand ( not a spanking just someone to show him who is boss). Do a search for NILF ( nothing is life is free) and practice it religiously with him. And in the mean time you may want to look for a behaviorist in your area to see if there are any other problems that need addressing. Where do you live?

Agreed. Definitely look into NILIF, and here are a few links to get you started:

http://www.k9deb.com/nilif.htm

http://www.greyhoundlist.org/nothing_is_free.htm

http://www.nomorehomelesspets.org/behav ... /nilif.htm
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby furever_pit » August 30th, 2009, 12:00 pm

It doesn't sound like HA to me. Sounds like a puppy who doesn't know his manners and who is just trying to get people to play with him. I'd definitely do the NILIF thing as well. You can also start redirecting him to things he is allowed to chew on and play with instead of just correcting him for going after clothes. Show him that it is okay to play with people, but he needs to use his toys. If he is unable to calm down crate him for a bit and then bring him back out on leash and give him another try.

P.S. - I have a cat named Dimebag too.
furever_pit
Supremely Bully

Postby BigDogBuford » August 30th, 2009, 12:23 pm

Yeah, he sounds like his name should change from Dime Bag to Douche Bag for the time being. :giggle: He's in a super bratty stage that needs to be nipped in the bud ASAP. Work on NILF and get him neutered as soon as you possibly can. Take away all his special privilidges and indulgences until he's not acting like a turd. Sometimes in this phase they need a come to Jesus moment....
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby Pit♥bull » August 30th, 2009, 3:42 pm

BigDogBuford wrote:Sometimes in this phase they need a come to Jesus moment....
:spit:
btw You owe me a keyboard.
Pit♥bull
Supremely Bully

Postby BigDogBuford » August 30th, 2009, 4:05 pm

Pit♥Bull wrote:
BigDogBuford wrote:Sometimes in this phase they need a come to Jesus moment....
:spit:
btw You owe me a keyboard.

:D
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby freakfingers12 » August 31st, 2009, 4:07 am

It is such a relieve to hear that from you guys. I am not really sure about low cost neuter program, but I think there is free neuter sponsored by SPCA. I'll neuter him asap~

Also I contacted his behaviourist, but he is busy and I can't make an appointment with him until a week or so. He's the only behaviourist in my area.

He does look more anxious than aggressive, and more attention seeking than fearful. I hope it is. I am no expert at reading body language.

Btw, Thanks again guys for the advice and links. Totally appreciate it. :dance:
freakfingers12
Just Whelped

Postby amazincc » August 31st, 2009, 11:16 am

Start him on NILIF right NOW, and don't let him get away w/any asshat behavior. My boy temporarily "lost his mind" at that age as well, but things are starting to calm down again... :wink:

HA is a very specific type of aggression, and your description of Dimebag sounds more like unruly, bad-mannered puppy who's doing some serious boundary testing. :hug3:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Return to Training & Behavior