I LOVE this Dog!

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby randi81 » July 2nd, 2007, 11:49 am

That's so awesome!
-Randi.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body; but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
randi81
Full of Bully

Postby Hoyden » July 2nd, 2007, 1:08 pm

Wow! Talk about memories. Birdie is curled up on her bed her in my office at work, waiting for her next errand.

A little more than a year later and she has grown so much. She has learned so many new tasks and become such a part of me that I depend on her and not having her with me leaves me feeling half dressed and wondering how the heck am I going to do certain things with out her help.

People expect to see her when they see me and most don't know my name, but they sure know hers.

She has also become a part of our company at work and most of our reps and clients know her or know about her. She is our inter-office messenger system, official greeter and stress reliever. Nothing like taking the dog out for a walk to to chase a toy to relieve tensions.
Moral courage is the most valuable and usually the most absent characteristic in men ~ General George S. Patton, Jr.

She taking all the stars down from her sky to hang them up someplace new, where there's better weather and the sky's a different blue. ~ Autumn Fields
Hoyden
Collar Queen

Postby luvmypitties » July 2nd, 2007, 10:37 pm

I think that is awesome. i know I rely on my dogs so much just for normal things like happiness, stress reliever and they keep me occupied. I couldnt imagine having a dog that gives you what Birdie gives you. I think it would be an awesome feeling!
Tina
Our thoughts and prayers are with Mick and Christine! We love you both!

RIP my precious Noah! You are greatly missed and still so loved!!! 7-12-06-- 2-21-07
RIP Abby! I always loved you!
luvmypitties
I live here

Postby amazincc » July 3rd, 2007, 4:36 am

That is incredible! I bet you can't even begin to imagine what life was like without Birdie... did you train her to recognize your symptoms?

I am a diabetic, and Mickey can tell when my blood sugar gets very low - he starts nudging and pushing me relentlessly... :)
Dogs are THE BEST!
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby SisMorphine » July 3rd, 2007, 8:04 am

All of you with your good dogs who just want to help you! I have a sighthound who thinks it's funny to walk me through holes in fields allowing me to twist my ankle . . . he's a jerk.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby TinaMartin » July 3rd, 2007, 8:40 am

I think that is great! My sister had a pit that was a seizure alert dog for my niece. The best part is like your dog Dakota learned it on her own. She is gone now but we will never forget her. Give your wonderful girl an extra snuggle for me.
TinaMartin
The Hair Whisperer

Postby Hoyden » July 3rd, 2007, 2:36 pm

On July 03 2007, 3:36 AM, amazincc wrote:That is incredible! I bet you can't even begin to imagine what life was like without Birdie... did you train her to recognize your symptoms?

I am a diabetic, and Mickey can tell when my blood sugar gets very low - he starts nudging and pushing me relentlessly... :)
Dogs are THE BEST!

I have to give the credit to my other pit bull, Petey. I believe that he played a large role in training her to recognize them. I could have never done it without him.

Honestly, I don't want to think about functioning with out Birdie because just the thought of going back to the way things were before her is not an option for me. Before we got her and I threw myself into learning and training her, I was depressed and at times, suicidal. I didn't want to live the rest of my life grounded because I couldn't go anywhere alone.
Moral courage is the most valuable and usually the most absent characteristic in men ~ General George S. Patton, Jr.

She taking all the stars down from her sky to hang them up someplace new, where there's better weather and the sky's a different blue. ~ Autumn Fields
Hoyden
Collar Queen

Postby amazincc » July 3rd, 2007, 3:03 pm

Oohhh... in that case I am twice as happy for you... sounds like you were in a crappy situation... :hug3:
Thank God for dogs and the lessons they teach us... :)
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby Fear_the_Sheeple » July 3rd, 2007, 7:40 pm

How amazing dogs are, thank you for sharing your story, it warms my heart.
Fear_the_Sheeple
Enlightened Bully

Previous

Return to Training & Behavior