I LOVE this Dog!

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby Hoyden » May 10th, 2006, 11:38 pm

About 1/2 hour ago, Birdie drops her new bone from the butcher, comes over to me, whines and nudges me with her head.

Okay, a muscle spazm is coming on, but I'm sitting down.

Then she knocks the mouse out of my hand and shoves her way into my lap and leans against me. We're in for a nasty spasm, this is her way of making sure I'm okay.

Muscle spazm passes and I start to breathe normal and calm down. Birdie stays close by and watches me, making sure I'm okay.

I resume my hunt for flowered ribbon and it occurrs to me, that in just under a year, this dog has helped make my life easier and helped me gain back independence I had lost.

A year ago, I would not have ventured out of the house with out my husband or oldest daughter. A year ago, I was a nervous wreck because I never knew when or where a muscle spasm would occur and I could only hope I wouldn't end up falling somewhere. A year ago, I used to cry with frusteration because I felt helpless.

She has helped me gain enough confidence in myself and in her abilities that I actually drove over 2.5 hours away from home last weekend to visit SisMorphine. Without Mark or Autumn, just the Gremlin, the dog and I. A year ago, I wouldn't have driven more than 20 minutes away from home by myself.

It's amazing that in just under a year, how much a part of my life this little seal colored dog has become, how much I have come to depend on her and how much of my life she has given back to me.

I just looked over to see her curled up in her spot on the couch, watching me with her pretty brown eyes and realized how much of a bond has grown between us and how much I love this little dog.
Moral courage is the most valuable and usually the most absent characteristic in men ~ General George S. Patton, Jr.

She taking all the stars down from her sky to hang them up someplace new, where there's better weather and the sky's a different blue. ~ Autumn Fields
Hoyden
Collar Queen

Postby Jenn » May 11th, 2006, 12:14 am

:loveU: :hug3: That's so great, thanks for sharing!! Good things come in small packages.
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby msvette2u » May 11th, 2006, 1:18 am

How very cool...thank you for sharing :)
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby Purple » May 11th, 2006, 3:16 am

Thanks for sharing. I think the bond between a dog and its human to be somewhat of a miracle. Enjoy your miracle!
Purple
I live here

Postby SisMorphine » May 11th, 2006, 7:33 am

These dogs really do give people freedom and it's an amazing thing to see and experience. I'm so glad you found Birdie and have again found your freedom.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby luvmyangels » May 11th, 2006, 8:31 am

I am a firm believer that all things happen for a reason. So there is a reason Birdie is in your life to help you with what you are going through. She sounds like such a special dog. You are very lucky to have her as she is to have you.
I am "The Rat Queen".

Have a great day!! :)

Mary Ann & The Furry Bunch:
Cookie & Knuckles
Rabbit: Butterscotch
The Rattie Bunch: Girls: Noodle & Raisin Boys: Gus, Melvin, Oliver, & Toby
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby dogcrazyjen » May 11th, 2006, 8:32 am

Thanks alot, tears before 9 am!
dogcrazyjen
Devoutly Bully

Postby katiek0417 » May 11th, 2006, 9:45 am

You obviously have something special with Birdie....I am so glad that you have her, and your independence, back....
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby mnp13 » May 11th, 2006, 9:58 am

How awesome!!! It's great that you have so much more freedom now. It stories like yours that will help save our breed.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Maryellen » May 11th, 2006, 10:04 am

that is truly inspirational.... Awesome news.... someone should write a story about you and birdie in the newspapers..
Maryellen
I live here

Postby Romanwild » May 11th, 2006, 11:07 am

cool :)
Romanwild
I live here

Postby SpiritFngrz » May 11th, 2006, 11:19 am

You're going to make me cry! I love Birdie too. Give her a hug from me :) Good girl Birdie!
SpiritFngrz
I live here

Postby bustersmama » May 11th, 2006, 4:42 pm

Great story! I knew when I saw Birdie online to be adopted she was a special dog. I am so happy that she has made your life easier.
bustersmama
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby satanscheerleader » May 11th, 2006, 4:55 pm

How cool is that! :D
satanscheerleader
Loyally Bully

Postby pitbullmamaliz » May 11th, 2006, 5:21 pm

It always amazes me how animals can sense things like that.
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby Asta » May 11th, 2006, 6:34 pm

Oh gosh i am getting all mushy here! Thats the most beautiful thing i have heard in quite some time :) I am happy you guys have eachother!

Cheers,

Åsa
Asta
Welcome Wagger

Postby turtle » May 14th, 2006, 11:21 am

Thanks for posting this! What a wonderful dog and how lucky that you both found each other.

Can you contact any pit bull magazines and see if they want to run this as a feature story? It certainly is good PR for the breed...

Hugs to you and Birdie!
-------------------------------------------------------

I may be slow but I get there - a turtle's motto
turtle
Loyally Bully

Postby cheekymunkee » May 14th, 2006, 3:54 pm

You made me cry. It always amazes me how much these dogs give us & all they ask in return is a little food & a pat now & then.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Jesseca » May 15th, 2006, 4:35 pm

That is so sweet. Thank you for sharing and reminding all of us how wonderful these dogs truely are
Jesseca
Devoutly Bully

Postby billwoo » July 1st, 2007, 3:30 pm

Yup...Treat em right and they will do anything for ya.
billwoo
Just Whelped

Next

Return to Training & Behavior