Play Dates ????

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby ArtGypsy » July 7th, 2009, 11:20 am

Okay.

How Important are they?

Unlike the other doggies in my life, there are different rules/considerations for my Dar.

The Daughter of the Math Teacher at the school has a pittie and asked Kelcie if she thought we could ever have a 'play date' with her dog.

of course, I'd have to ask a lot of questions about DA and stuff, but is it worth the risk for two owners to try and let two strange dogs play? From what I understand she has a young female and wants to have them socialize.

I take Dar to Puppy Play Group and Doggie Day care once in a while at the Trainer's house, but that gets a bit pricey for me; not to mention the 30 mile drive.

does anyone have any guidelines, suggestions or advice for me??

So far, the only dog Dar has ever been aggressive towards is Macy. The Dog Trainer says he totally follows all doggie rules there at play group; even with some pushy little bull terriers. She said Dar takes corrections from other dogs very well and isn't a concern for HER, regardless of breed type, sex, size or age of the other dogs.

Someone give me some input.

thanks........

Right now, I'm off to York for a few hours, so I wont' be here to answer a question.

Jody
“Hope has two beautiful daughters: their names are Anger and Courage.
Anger that things are the way they are.
Courage to make them the way they ought to be.”----Augustine
ArtGypsy
First I Caught Her, Then I Didn't Share My Fries

Postby mnp13 » July 7th, 2009, 11:30 am

If it is two dogs and two handlers and you are right there to supervise, I'd say let them meet and see how it goes. Most dogs are social animals, even the super dog aggressive ones often have one or two "friends." It doesn't hurt to give it a try, but have sturdy flat collars on both of them just in case.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Marinepits » July 7th, 2009, 1:47 pm

What Michelle said.

I've done the "doggy play dates" with all my guys when they were little pups and we only did it when we could completely control the environment -- no strange dogs running into the group, no screaming kids tearing around, etc. They all did well when they were young and all gradually grew out of "play dates" as they got older, Katy and Mac FAR quicker than the other three, LOL.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby amazincc » July 7th, 2009, 2:50 pm

ArtGypsy wrote:
The Daughter of the Math Teacher at the school has a pittie and asked Kelcie if she thought we could ever have a 'play date' with her dog.

Jody

How old is the other dog? Spayed?
Have you given any thought of where/how the two of them will meet?
I think "proper introductions" are HUGELY important in the dog world, and can make or break a potential friendship. :wink:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby ArtGypsy » July 7th, 2009, 6:30 pm

amazincc wrote:
How old is the other dog? Spayed?
Have you given any thought of where/how the two of them will meet?
I think "proper introductions" are HUGELY important in the dog world, and can make or break a potential friendship. :wink:

Okay.....Make or Break.... :smileUp:
does this mean I Introduce her and Ms. or MIss Dog to Dar?? I don't want to break any rules of etiquette. :dance: :dance:

Seriously though.

Nice sniffing..........play bows--good thing.......

meet at the park with flat collars and sturdy leashes......

first sign of growl, stop....... :|

walk them around, no sniffing first??????

It really isn't a problem at doggie day care, but she's different, and there's a giant female rottie that keeps an eye on doggie interactions and corrects. Wild.
ArtGypsy

Postby amazincc » July 7th, 2009, 6:53 pm

I would start by going for a walk together... people "in the middle", thereby keeping the dogs separated, just in case. On-leash, of course. :wink:
Once they tire out a bit... see how, or if, they want to interact, and go from there. Bring treats! :)
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby ArtGypsy » July 7th, 2009, 7:16 pm

amazincc wrote:I would start by going for a walk together... people "in the middle", thereby keeping the dogs separated, just in case. On-leash, of course. :wink:
Once they tire out a bit... see how, or if, they want to interact, and go from there. Bring treats! :)

THANKS!!!

I didn't ONCE think of treats............or a walk first.
You Rock.
ArtGypsy

Postby mnp13 » July 8th, 2009, 1:14 pm

ArtGypsy wrote:Nice sniffing..........play bows--good thing.......

No, those are not necessarily a "good thing." Cleo used to do the play bow and do the friendly sniff thing, then when they passed at the shoulder to sniff butts she whipped around and grabbed the other dog by the back of the neck. That happened twice before I became wise to it - once might have been a fluke, but twice? She was such a "special" dog. :rolleyes2:

first sign of growl, stop.......

Take a look at this video that we made last spring when Liz was at my house. You'll see that Inara wants to play, but though most people would think that Riggs wants to play too... he really wants to play. Body language is far more telling than vocalization.
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=23382

walk them around, no sniffing first??????

I'd say that is a good start. Take them for a nice long walk, it will take some of the edge off of their energy and give them a chance to check each other out without direct contact.

It really isn't a problem at doggie day care, but she's different, and there's a giant female rottie that keeps an eye on doggie interactions and corrects. Wild.

I'm not trying to be a bitch, but this sentence makes me cringe. Just the thought of a pack of dogs together with one dog playing "referee" give me the heeby-jeebies. At some point, she may correct a dog that decides to challenge that correction. The resulting fight will likely end up involving most of the dogs there - and even if there are two or three people present, it will be a long and difficult process to get all of the dogs apart.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Malli » July 8th, 2009, 1:42 pm

I second the walk, its like indirect interaction. Lets them get used to eachother without having to deal with eachother directly. Oscar -who is very bad with introductions and nervous of most medium and larger dogs and reacts very poorly- does really well when he meets a dog first through a walk - much less obnoxious behavior and more correct to doggy etiquette
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby TheRedQueen » July 8th, 2009, 2:42 pm

I actually prefer to let dogs meet off-leash, if possible...as there is a human at the end of the leash that can create problems that might not be there otherwise. ;)

But if you're going to introduce on-leash, remember to keep yourselves calm, keep your faces neutral, keep your body language loose and easy, and keep your leashes loose too. Don't anticipate problems which can cause your body language and facial expressions too tense. Let the dogs do their thing, and allow them to sniff butts and greet appropriately.

Watch their faces more than their body language...tails and bodies can send off subtle signals that we humans interpret as dogs getting along, while their faces are tensed up and telling the real story. The nice thing is that dog faces are remarkably like ours when it comes to reading the emotions...if their have wide happy grins with the corners of the mouth relaxed, it should be good. Tight, puckered lips are a bad sign. Very similar to reading a human's face.
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby ozarks bullies » July 10th, 2009, 7:20 pm

Atticus has a "girlfriend" named Bella that he has playdates with from time to time. We introduced them on familiar yet neutral territory (PETCO). We walked around the store together to let them get to know each other and to drain a little of Bella's 15 month-old pit bull energy. After that, it was butt sniffing, play bows, pogo hops, and zoomies.
ozarks bullies
Just Whelped

Postby kera09 » July 10th, 2009, 10:27 pm

whenever we introduce a new friend its always in a neutral location! i always let them sniff for a sec or 2 max! then we walk around for a bit if they seem to be doing ok, we let go of the leashes.dogs can feel intimidated if they are both on leash and may feel threatened. leaving the leashes on is easier if something happens. praise for good behavior and watch both dogs intently! Also make sure this person knows what can happen if 2 pitbulls get into a fight. this is serious business, you may be watching everything but the other owner may be like "oh that behavior is fine, he or she does that all the time" keep close and be watchful and im sure they will do fine and bff's forever! hehe
duge, ava, lulu and martini's momma :)
kera09
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Return to Training & Behavior