OCD Chewing

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby juniper8204 » July 4th, 2009, 5:44 pm

I've had Oona for a little over a year since she was 5 weeks old. Since she hit about 6 months old, she chews everything...and when I say everything, I mean it. I left her in the bathroom one day while I mowed grass, and when I came back in, it looked like Hurricane Katrina had torn through it. She chews...and EATS...twigs, leaves, rocks, plastic, rope... she has no prejudice. She constantly has to have something in her mouth. If there's nothing available, she searches through the house until she can find something suitable. It's driving me crazy. She's even chewed through her METAL kennel several times to get out and wreak havoc in the house...for the last month, I've had to keep her primarily outside while I can do some repairs from what she's done and to keep her from doing more damage. I got her several Nylabones which have lasted, but it seems she loses interest in them. Stuffed animals last about ten minutes. I've gone through countless leashes when she decides she doesn't want to be on the leash anymore (this happened a lot while housetraining). I'm at my wit's end...I don't know what to do. I've never had a dog with this amount of "chew drive". All my dogs chew, but only on their toys and it's not a drug to them.

Any suggestions?
Jen
Mommy to Mindy Lou and Moose

Pits are addicting!!! If I foster any more, my husband will have my head!
juniper8204
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby amazincc » July 4th, 2009, 5:54 pm

When did you add Raja to your family?
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby juniper8204 » July 4th, 2009, 5:57 pm

Raja was left on my doorstep one morning in late Feb./early March. She's a handfull, but so squishy so that makes up for it. She was about 8-9 weeks old when she came here.

I've been out of the loop on PBT lately...I was preparing for my husband getting home from the Middle East and trying to plan a vacation too. Otherwise, I'd been on here posting pics and bragging. My computer accumulated a lot of dust the last several months. lol
Last edited by juniper8204 on July 4th, 2009, 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jen

juniper8204
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby amazincc » July 4th, 2009, 6:00 pm

Hmmm... I just asked because I was wondering if that might have something to do w/Oonas behavior... :|
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby juniper8204 » July 4th, 2009, 6:04 pm

No...that behavior was evident way before Raja came along. Since last year sometime.
Jen

juniper8204
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby BigDogBuford » July 4th, 2009, 7:07 pm

juniper8204 wrote:No...that behavior was evident way before Raja came along. Since last year sometime.

When did your husband leave?
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby juniper8204 » July 4th, 2009, 7:37 pm

He left in January 2008. I got Oona in the spring of '08. The first time he saw her was in October 2008 when he was home for R&R. He just came back a month ago.
Jen

juniper8204
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby pocketpit » July 4th, 2009, 9:26 pm

She's teething or just finishing up her teething and in my experience dogs chew alot following the eruption of their adult teeth.
I would keep a supply of durable toys, and treats on hand that you can rotate (so things are not the same all the time and her interest won't wane as much) and make sure that she gets them mostly as a distraction when you have to crate her or leave her somewhere without supervision. Rotate her regular toys a bit and I would consider coating non chewable items in nasty tasting stuff to discourage destruction of things you value. It goes without saying that exercise is important as well but mostly you just have to put up with months worth of chewing before they begin to grow out of that stage.
pocketpit
Supremely Bully

Postby Marinepits » July 4th, 2009, 9:38 pm

juniper8204 wrote:He left in January 2008. I got Oona in the spring of '08. The first time he saw her was in October 2008 when he was home for R&R. He just came back a month ago.

Congratulations! I'm glad he's home safe. :)
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby hugapitbull » July 5th, 2009, 7:42 am

I have no advice for the obsessive chewing, but would like to thank your husband for his service to our country and thank you for being by his side. It is a true sacrifice the whole family makes for all of us to continue to experience freedom and I am appreciative of that sacrifice.
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby juniper8204 » July 7th, 2009, 9:32 am

Thanks for the comments about my hubby. He was a contractor with the DoD, but was still in the middle of it. Had a total of 35 convoys and countless chinook flights through Afghanistan and Iraq...I was a nervous condition waiting to happen. lol

As far as Oona goes, I went out and bought two Kong toys...one red and one black, and they seem to be holding her interest really well so far and they have also been able to withstand her incessant chewing. I've been taking her on walks double the norm, and I've noticed a bit of difference there. My hubby was near pulling his hair out about her, but I think he's (and me!) are starting to see that maybe she just needs some redirection. Not every dog can be as perfect as my Mindy Lou. **sigh** :D
Jen

juniper8204
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby amazincc » July 7th, 2009, 2:38 pm

YAY for Kongs!!! :D

Interactive toys are usually a good idea for chewers... like an everlasting treat ball, where the dog has to "work" for treats. Glad you found something that holds Oonas attention for the time being. :wink:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby kera09 » July 10th, 2009, 10:40 pm

i swear by marrow bones(soup bones) you can get them at the grocery store or butcher. they are messy but will leave them occupied for a long time. the bones are so strong they cant chew through them, or at least none of mine have. ive found its the only thing to keep them occupied for that long! a great bone for the crate or a non carpeted floor!
duge, ava, lulu and martini's momma :)
kera09
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Return to Training & Behavior