accident? :(

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby TheRedQueen » June 21st, 2009, 10:48 pm

The "Socialization Camp" sounds wack... :| What's the purpose of not talking to the dog during a stressful situation? :rolleyes2:
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby katiek0417 » June 21st, 2009, 10:59 pm

TheRedQueen wrote:The "Socialization Camp" sounds wack... :| What's the purpose of not talking to the dog during a stressful situation? :rolleyes2:

Well....I guess the purpose would be if the dog is stressed, and you're talking to the dog, it might be perceived as reinforcement....think about the dog that's afraid of thunder and you sit there and say "it's okay, don't worry..." in a sing-song voice...

In a group situation, it might be hard to monitor what EVERYONE is saying, so it's easier to have a "no talking" policy.... :|

Kerstieazy wrote:Well I just guess I am confused on what to do because they do play together very well most of the time. so i guess I would feel bad if they never got to doggie play anymore because I know that I can play with him but he likes to play with bowser, usually.

Mac is in obedience class. He has been since I got him and plan to keep doing it and going through the other levels of obedience they offer.

He might enjoy playing with you more if he's not getting his needs fulfilled with Bowser. And, he may do better in obedience...I've noticed with my own dogs, that they don't do as well with obedience with me if they get too much play time with other dogs...if I limit their time, they work better for me...I become the source of their joy. Kinda like they're saying to themselves "why should I do anything for you when I can go home and play with Bowser?"

This isn't to say my dogs NEVER play with other dogs...but I do limit their time...especially if I think they start liking that more than playing with me!
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby TheRedQueen » June 21st, 2009, 11:07 pm

katiek0417 wrote:
TheRedQueen wrote:The "Socialization Camp" sounds wack... :| What's the purpose of not talking to the dog during a stressful situation? :rolleyes2:

Well....I guess the purpose would be if the dog is stressed, and you're talking to the dog, it might be perceived as reinforcement....think about the dog that's afraid of thunder and you sit there and say "it's okay, don't worry..." in a sing-song voice...

In a group situation, it might be hard to monitor what EVERYONE is saying, so it's easier to have a "no talking" policy.... :|

Yeah, I guess that makes sense on a certain level...but it still sounds hinky to me. Especially for someone claiming to be a behaviorist. :| I'd rather have someone telling me *how* to talk/touch my dog in certain situations.

And I've been hearing a lot lately about how talking or "coddling" during stressful/fearful moments doesn't really reinforce anything. I think it was Dr. Patricia McConnell's blog a few weeks ago...talking about how it doesn't really make things worse. If you're scared of thunder, someone telling you NOT to be scared of the thunder won't make a difference.

ETA...it was her blog:

http://www.theotherendoftheleash.com/yo ... derstorms/
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby katiek0417 » June 21st, 2009, 11:28 pm

TheRedQueen wrote:Yeah, I guess that makes sense on a certain level...but it still sounds hinky to me. Especially for someone claiming to be a behaviorist. :| I'd rather have someone telling me *how* to talk/touch my dog in certain situations.

And I've been hearing a lot lately about how talking or "coddling" during stressful/fearful moments doesn't really reinforce anything. I think it was Dr. Patricia McConnell's blog a few weeks ago...talking about how it doesn't really make things worse. If you're scared of thunder, someone telling you NOT to be scared of the thunder won't make a difference.

ETA...it was her blog:

http://www.theotherendoftheleash.com/yo ... derstorms/

I understand what she is saying in her blog...but don't know that I agree with it. I've seen several cases where it HAS reinforced the fear...and I admit that early on I was very guilty of it with rocky (even though I knew better)...
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Previous