Kinzyl has a new glich

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby Malli » April 14th, 2009, 2:40 am

airwalk wrote:On the other hand, something to consider, is she only doing this with very specific people, not just something like all men or all men with hats...sometimes I think dogs have much better instincts about people than we do. She may have a handful of men she just plain doesn't like.

well, yes.... But, Oscar's issues had really just started to become an "issue" and his behavior presented itself with "weird people", most of them were odd in behavior one way or another, although I didn't feel threatened by them or really act any different to them.

Even if he is picking out "sketchy" people, I really feel that his behavior is still not ok :| Especially given his breed. And we all know its about appearences. If someone is really doing nothing that warrants the behavior (trying to interact with a pet is a pretty benign action), then it may mark either 1) their own impression of the breed, wich they may express to others, 2) other people who witness this "attack" perception of the breed, if they see this seemingly unwarranted behavior (e.g."oh my dog, that Pit Bull just snapped and acted aggressive toward that person doing nothing!")

If I'm ever clearly threatened I know Oscar will back me up, but I'd like him to be taking cues from me instead of deciding on his own :| I don't expect him to love on everyone, but I do expect him to tolerate any one I want him to, wich sometimes includes creepy or sketchy people, or those who I simply don't like.

I also wonder if allowing gaurding or apprehensive type behaviors is a bit of a slippery slope? If the behavior would spread towards poeple who weren't deserving of the dog's reservations?
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby katiek0417 » April 14th, 2009, 8:13 am

madremissy wrote:
airwalk wrote:On the other hand, something to consider, is she only doing this with very specific people, not just something like all men or all men with hats...sometimes I think dogs have much better instincts about people than we do. She may have a handful of men she just plain doesn't like.

And that is OK, right?????? I don't like all people but should I expect her to. I guess she should at least be polite. :| She suckers them in with her waggly butt and happy dance then she gets them petting her then barks.

Ok, well I have to say that both men in the last month have had some missing teeth. I am serious. But I don't think that is it.
One had a hat the other didn't.
Katrina, I am just going to bring treats with me everytime we walk. So in the case that we happen upon another stranger I will TELL them to not approach until I give them a treat to give her. Let's see if that will work.

Did they speak at all?
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby madremissy » April 14th, 2009, 10:20 am

Yes, they spoke. They speak before they approach and that is when she goes into her happy dance. I make her sit, then try to tell them to let her sniff their hand first. She is ok with that.They pet her and after about 15 seconds and then she barks. The one guy stopped and let her sniff again. She did still happy, but she barked again, I made her stay in her sit and then she kinda turned around beside me and starting looking at other things on the road. This guy was a talker so I stood there for 15 minutes letting him talk. Kinzyl was now on her sniffing duty behind me on the side of the road. Does that give good enough picture. Meanwhile the wife and her yappy dogs were still sitting in the car which was half in the drive and half out. She never once really acted bothered by the dogs barking.
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby katiek0417 » April 14th, 2009, 10:24 am

madremissy wrote:Yes, they spoke. They speak before they approach and that is when she goes into her happy dance. I make her sit, then try to tell them to let her sniff their hand first. She is ok with that.They pet her and after about 15 seconds and then she barks. The one guy stopped and let her sniff again. She did still happy, but she barked again, I made her stay in her sit and then she kinda turned around beside me and starting looking at other things on the road. This guy was a talker so I stood there for 15 minutes letting him talk. Kinzyl was now on her sniffing duty behind me on the side of the road. Does that give good enough picture. Meanwhile the wife and her yappy dogs were still sitting in the car which was half in the drive and half out. She never once really acted bothered by the dogs barking.

The reason I asked if he spoke was because people do speak funny if they are missing teeth (in the field of linguistics, it has been shown that teeth, tongue, cheeks, etc are necessary for the production of speech)...so I'm wondering if the gentlemen sounded a bit "off" to her...

The fact that she started sniffing around you, and looking at other things, also makes me believe that this was more of an avoidance situation...when you watch dogs that go into avoidance, they will look at everything except for the object they are avoiding...

At least that's been my experience...

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby madremissy » April 14th, 2009, 10:34 am

Keep going.......... So is that a good thing or bad? I am sorry I have so many questions. I just don't want to do anything to screw her up.
The avoidance thing is in here with some stuff. I thought she was just being either snobbish or was just being her.
EX: When she is laying on the couch and someone sits down. Sometimes she will stay there and other times she will get up and go to the bedroom.
When her and Sammy lay on the porch in the sun. Sammy will go get next to her and sometimes she stays in that spot and other times she will get up and move to get her own spot.
I have no idea if this has anything to do with avoidance but I thought I would throw it out there. She can be a snob.
madremissy

Postby katiek0417 » April 14th, 2009, 11:16 am

madremissy wrote:Keep going.......... So is that a good thing or bad? I am sorry I have so many questions. I just don't want to do anything to screw her up.
The avoidance thing is in here with some stuff. I thought she was just being either snobbish or was just being her.
EX: When she is laying on the couch and someone sits down. Sometimes she will stay there and other times she will get up and go to the bedroom.
When her and Sammy lay on the porch in the sun. Sammy will go get next to her and sometimes she stays in that spot and other times she will get up and move to get her own spot.
I have no idea if this has anything to do with avoidance but I thought I would throw it out there. She can be a snob.

Some dogs just want to be alone...and the behaviors of her moving away from people, etc, I see more as that...Like, Sacha, for example, isn't an overly cuddly dog...she doesn't want to sit on the same couch as me, etc...not avoiding me...just doesn't want to snuggle...

Personally, I don't like for my dogs to avoid things...I try to do whatever I can to get them used to whatever it is that they don't like....and I typically use food in this case...for example, Dru used to avoid grates (like storm grates in the road)...I used food to finally get her used to them...now she walks over them like they're regularly paved...

However, there are many people who don't mind if their dogs avoid things....

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby airwalk » April 14th, 2009, 11:17 am

Well see not encountering inmates is a good thing, yes?

Sarah that's a great explanation of how I was trying to explain it. You did a much better job than I.
airwalk
I live here

Postby madremissy » April 14th, 2009, 11:31 am

I really appreciate everyone's input.
Now I have to go recruit people to practice with. :wink:
Diana, I understood you to. Sometimes I have to have a picture drawn :oops:
madremissy

Postby Malli » April 15th, 2009, 3:51 am

yeah, avoidance is better then bad behavior, but for my own dog, I'd prefer him to be able to handle the situation "head on"...

I guess its preference :|
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Previous

Return to Training & Behavior