Guard Dog, ON!

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby BigDogBuford » April 8th, 2009, 12:50 am

So we have this really nice Neo that comes to stay with us, Suede....about 185lbs. He was a bit of a turd when he first started boarding with us, but he was an adolescent rescue and definitely tested me. He played keep away in the off leash area for TWO HOURS. Eventually I just had one of the girls go to McDonald's and I sat right in front of him on the other side of the fence and ate one. He decided I was ok after that!

So today I was walking him around the back of the property and he heard a vehicle on the gravel road and immediately went into guard dog mode. Stood all forward on his front legs, chest out, scorpion tail and a deep "Woof". And then he wouldn't move. *sigh* He was on full alert for a good 4-5 minutes. Eventually he decided all was clear and we headed back to the barn. Suede's all grown up!
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby Malli » April 8th, 2009, 3:26 am

:giggle:
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby pitbullmamaliz » April 8th, 2009, 6:58 am

He was just guarding any potential cheeseburgers you may have been hiding on you!
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby SisMorphine » April 8th, 2009, 7:52 am

Awwww! Your boarding kennel now belongs to him :)

We have a Neo Mastiff puppy who comes to daycare. I need to get her picture because at 7months old she's bigger than Blue and Teeny combined!!! So far she is a total sweetheart, hasn't shown an ounce of aggression, which is strange/awesome to me since every other Neo puppy I've met was PTS before 18 months old for severe aggression issues. Ironically those dogs were all "well bred", and this little lady was a pet store purchase. That's right . . . selling Neos in a pet store. Superb :rolleyes2:
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby Marinepits » April 8th, 2009, 8:03 am

SisMorphine wrote:That's right . . . selling Neos in a pet store. Superb :rolleyes2:

A friend of mine bought a Neo from a pet store and he's turned out to be a really nice mellow dog, but still has the guarding tendency. No aggression towards humans at all. So weird, huh?
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby maberi » April 8th, 2009, 8:35 am

Lol, that is great. Gotta love when they put on a show to protect their territory :wink: 185 lb dog is a bit of a deterrant to say the least.

Earl runs around the yard like he is the king of the world (tail high, head up, giving warning barks). I thought it would be fun one night to actually test him out. I came back from a run on a cold night so I had a winter hat and a black mask on. Earl was out so I snuck up the driveway to the gait and then popped my head over the gate so he could see me. Earl's hackles went up, he barked and then took off with his tail in between his legs. :doh:
Look beyond what your own eyes see
maberi
I Save My Empty Calories For The Bottle

Postby airwalk » April 8th, 2009, 10:06 am

Awww Suede is all grown up and meeting his genetics.

It always surprises me when Scooter actually acts like a Mastiff, it's so not like his every day personality.
airwalk
I live here

Postby BigDogBuford » April 8th, 2009, 10:49 am

maberi wrote:
Earl runs around the yard like he is the king of the world (tail high, head up, giving warning barks). I thought it would be fun one night to actually test him out. I came back from a run on a cold night so I had a winter hat and a black mask on. Earl was out so I snuck up the driveway to the gait and then popped my head over the gate so he could see me. Earl's hackles went up, he barked and then took off with his tail in between his legs. :doh:

Well you probably looked scary! Poor Earl. :)
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby Malli » April 8th, 2009, 2:56 pm

haha

every time I try to "test" Oscar he knows its me :|
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby demolitionic » April 9th, 2009, 11:43 pm

pitbullykisses wrote:You just described my Martini! :mrgreen: A Neo also, but he was doing that at about 9 months. :rolleyes2: If he heard a weird noise down the street when I took him outside for his before bedtime pee break, he'd basically plant himself between me and the noise and stare in that direction. Just looking for the source (not like he'd see it.....they aren't exactly known for their eagle-like eyesight.). :wink:

He's super protective of his mommy though. Which has its good and bad points. I don't have to worry about being mugged though, that's for sure. :wink:

I LOVELOVELOVELOVE Martini!
Time to nut up or shut up.
demolitionic
Devoutly Bully

Return to Training & Behavior