So this TRAINER said...

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby msvette2u » May 5th, 2006, 7:12 pm

Kona's potential adoptive family emailed me with this...

We have
recently consulted with a professional guide dog trainer who gave my husband
and I alot of information that has led us to think that there are too many
unknowns about Kona to take the chance with our toddlers. Her information
was very specific in regards to dogs with toddlers. She recommeded a dog who
was at LEAST 2 years old with a history with young children. She also
believes that Kona has been through so much, her initial abandonment, her
pregnancy, and nursing, and she said that she could not think of Kona as
anything other than exausted at this point. Given that point of view she
said that her energy level and general temperament may be really difficult
to see right now.

What do you guys think of this? Keep in mind, neither the potential adoptive home nor the trainer has MET Kona, and the trainer has not even spoken with me regarding her...
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby Jesseca » May 5th, 2006, 7:14 pm

:noWay: Ok, this so called trainer is going to make a judgement without even meeting Kona? I have a lot to say, but I think Michelle's word filter would catch most of it
Jesseca
Devoutly Bully

Postby luvmyangels » May 5th, 2006, 7:17 pm

Ooook! How can any of them make a judgement on her when they have never seen her. That is unfortunate for them because they will be missing out on a really good dog. Wow! Sorry to hear this. The right person or family will come along and see that she is a very special dog and they will be lucky to add her as a member of their family. Good luck.
I am "The Rat Queen".

Have a great day!! :)

Mary Ann & The Furry Bunch:
Cookie & Knuckles
Rabbit: Butterscotch
The Rattie Bunch: Girls: Noodle & Raisin Boys: Gus, Melvin, Oliver, & Toby
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby msvette2u » May 5th, 2006, 7:35 pm

Thanks - I think it's insane too!!!
I wrote back...I doubt they'll listen tho...

Well that is sad, and disappointing for Kona, definitely, but I understand.
I wonder however, about taking the advice of someone who hasn't met Kona or even talked to me about her personality. If this gal knew me and my ability to assess dogs and had talked to me, I could understand it, but she doesn't know me, and hasn't talked to me about Kona at all.

Is there any chance you might want to still come visit this weekend and see how she is yourself? Because I DO understand all that this person is saying yet I still feel 100% sure that Kona is...a "what you see is what you get" dog, despite the rest. She's so submissive with people it's incredible...even when we were pushing on her teats to express the milk of her infected duct/mastitis, she laid quietly and let us do those things.

Anyway I understand completely, either way, and of course you want the best for your family.

Just let us know,
Yvette
msvette2u
I live here

Postby Jesseca » May 5th, 2006, 7:44 pm

I'm curious to what any of the trainers on the board think of this?
Jesseca
Devoutly Bully

Postby msvette2u » May 5th, 2006, 7:49 pm

The thing is, we've fostered more than one pg/nursing mom and boy you can tell the highstrung ones easily...we've had more than one dog try to EAT our other dogs upon sight!
PG/Nursing affects them I'm sure but not to the extent you can't see what they are like otherwise...
msvette2u
I live here

Postby Patch O' Pits » May 5th, 2006, 8:22 pm

Honestly , I would suggest to them that they not only come to see the dog , but that this so called trainer or better yet another trainer who is willing to actually eval the dog should come out with them as well. Of course worded nicely LOL

Wow I can't believe this person judged the dog site unseen. Hmmmm sounds like maybe someone with a problem with the breed to begin with IMO
Patch O' Pits Pursuit-O-Perfection

Run Hard at the Rainbow Bridge My Angel Sock-M! I Love You Baby Girl! Now that your Mom Starlit is up there too, please help her learn the ropes, love and keep her company until I can see you both again. Starlit I love you!
http://i14.tinypic.com/2a8q345.jpg
Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Postby msvette2u » May 5th, 2006, 8:39 pm

No kidding...we had one foster mom that was so...for lack of a better term...psychotic...that we literally could not have her in the house. She had a big litter and we got them all adopted out but Mom had something wrong with her mind and we couldn't fix that. She went to WSU and got spayed but who knows after that. And then we fostered a nursing mom, an American Eskimo that was totally highstrung and we had to lock all our dogs up just to let her out potty or she'd try to eat them alive. Insane! Thing is...even these dogs with the exception of the first anyway, went on to get good homes and be good pets.
I'm like you-- I think the "trainer" has issues with this breed anyway and it's very sad. Because of idiots like her, dogs will languish and die in shelters.
The family? They need a stuffed animal. Or they can go BUY one from a breeder (hah) and take their chances with IT too...
msvette2u
I live here

Postby cheekymunkee » May 5th, 2006, 9:28 pm

Patch O' Pits wrote:Honestly , I would suggest to them that they not only come to see the dog , but that this so called trainer or better yet another trainer who is willing to actually eval the dog should come out with them as well. Of course worded nicely LOL

Wow I can't believe this person judged the dog site unseen. Hmmmm sounds like maybe someone with a problem with the breed to begin with IMO

My first thoughts were breed prejudice. Very sad.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby luvmyangels » May 5th, 2006, 9:44 pm

May I make a comment and please do not take offense but I would not have even asked them if they wanted to see her this weekend. They will unfortunately always have in the back of their mind what this trainer person said and the first thing they felt Kona did that was good, bad or indifferent they would find a reason to give her back or dump her somewhere. That is not the life you would want for her. Hope you don't mind my two cents.
I am "The Rat Queen".

Cookie & Knuckles
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby msvette2u » May 5th, 2006, 9:46 pm

They won't come. Maybe they'll feel guilty about it. I don't know. I doubt it. But you're right...and I don't think it will happen either.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby luvmyangels » May 5th, 2006, 9:50 pm

I just wanted to say I am sorry that you have to deal with people that just don't get it. You have done such a great job and I know it is disappointing when you think you have found the right family. I guess in this case it was better to find out in the beginning then when you were further into it. Just know there is a right family and they will be so thankful for all your hard work. Thank you for everything you have done.
:groupHug:
I am "The Rat Queen".

Cookie & Knuckles
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby msvette2u » May 5th, 2006, 10:04 pm

Awww thanks so much. It is disappointing, to know what an absolute GEM she is, just a sweet dog - and what a good potential match, now struck down because some freaking idiot trainer who probably just got a job, thinks she can diagnose a dog long distance!??? How idiotic!!!
And I wasn't offended and I was thinking the same thing...oh well, let them go get a nasty little cockapoo or something.
No offense, cockapoo owners ;)
msvette2u
I live here

Postby Nelson » May 5th, 2006, 10:23 pm

And what if that person did go this weekend?

What if they loved the dog and took it home?

What then with their "trainer"?

A trainer who is quick to give an all out evaluation of a dog he hasn't seen, is obviously showing an overflow of ego and thiness of knowledge.

People like this most probably will have a "field day" tearing down the dog to reafirm their position taken.

There's nothing worse than having a highly esteemed trainer peck on you constantly on how inadequate your dog is. :o

Who would want that type of load on your back? Keep your head high, it's their loss and your dogs' gain. That means that there IS someone better for this dog. :)
Nelson Rodriguez

"Ah grasshopper, how is it that you cannot?" Master Po
http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/WorkingPitBulls/
Nelson
Just Whelped

Postby msvette2u » May 5th, 2006, 10:26 pm

Thank you for your kind words. I think there must be too. She's too good for them.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby SisMorphine » May 5th, 2006, 11:31 pm

Truth be told, the more I learn about dog behavior the more I tend to steer away from rescues (aka: the unknown).

But on my emotional level I have fallen in love with Wally, who has turned out to be the most fantastic dog ever. And I have taken on Halo, part of who's past I know, the previous 2 owners, though, I know nothing of. And I love Venus, my foster, more than I've loved any other foster, even though her past has been very sketchy.

So my rationality goes one way and my heart goes another. I really couldn't blame the family/trainer for saying no to a dog with an unknown past, but I would also urge them not to make a decision until they've met her.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby msvette2u » May 6th, 2006, 12:12 am

Exactly...and she's not totally unknown either, I'd get one from a rescue sooner than a shelter where nobody has assessed...I mean her PAST is unknown but she's been with us over a month...
Actually one of their earliest mails mentioned another dog they rescued and it turned out to be way too rambunctious for their family and I sensed almost a fear/reluctance to take on another dog so I guess it isn't totally unexpected, but to listen to someone who has not met her, doesn't make sense to me.
I think they wanted a "reason" to back out...
msvette2u
I live here

Postby dogcrazyjen » May 6th, 2006, 7:39 am

I would be hesitant to recommend an unknown dog of questionable background sight unseen. Perhaps they asked this trainers advice, and to cover her butt she just said no.
dogcrazyjen
Devoutly Bully

Postby PittieLove » May 6th, 2006, 9:30 am

Jesseca wrote::noWay: Ok, this so called trainer is going to make a judgement without even meeting Kona? I have a lot to say, but I think Michelle's word filter would catch most of it

thats a good point. How can u judge something/one that u have never met?
Bulldog Pride.
PittieLove
Confident Young Bully

Return to Training & Behavior