gutting stuffed toys

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby Hundilein » March 24th, 2009, 10:04 am

Any suggestions for teaching a dog not to gut stuffed toys? Personally, I just live with it and rarely give my girls stuffed toys, but we had a dog get adopted this weekend who is tearing up stuffed toys in her new home. Their other dog chews stuffed toys, but doesn't rip them up. My thought is that they might be able to teach the dog not to rip toys up while they are watching, but it will be difficult to completely get rid of the behavior unless they give her an alternative outlet. They bought rope toys, bones, and kong toys for her, but she's not as interested in them. I'm assuming they have not tried stuffing the kongs, but I hesitate to suggest that as a replacement for an all the time kind of toy since there are two dogs in the house who could potentially fight over food.
Sarah and Renee - aka wild child
Hundilein
Loyally Bully

Postby TheRedQueen » March 24th, 2009, 10:16 am

Hmmm...just off the top of my head...plush toys with no stuffing? (not as much fun to gut?)...or the interactive stuffed toys...the ones with eggs or squirrels and such...that come out of the bigger toys. Perhaps some "dissections" like Jean Donaldson does in Culture Clash...feeding the dog in tied up fabric?

I haven't had to deal with this...as no one guts toys in my house...and fosters/SDiT/boarding dogs that do are all monitored. We also have soooooo many toys, that it's not usually a big deal.
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby madremissy » March 24th, 2009, 10:18 am

Kinzyl can't have any stuffed toys. Gone in 10 seconds. I just don't have them around for her. I have to watch the baby toys that are on Mckinlee's walker. She also has a fun game of grabbing Sammy's bed and running to the bedroom with it. She does this while he is still in it. :crazy2:
Gotty has them upstairs. He will destuff then play with the dead stuffie. Kinzyl will shred the whole thing until there is nothing left.
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby TheRedQueen » March 24th, 2009, 10:22 am

Is the dog crated at any time?

In my house...dogs that gut/tear up toys are supervised, as mentioned before...and if they're out...they can play with them...but not tear them up (they're taken away then). When they're crated...the other dogs can play with their toys all they want.

Xander has special toys that he only plays with when Inara is not around...they're kept on top of the fridge, and brought out only when she's outside or put away. Otherwise she takes them and hoards them...Chicken Leg and Peapod are those toys...he LOVES them...and Inara will take them away just to mess with him.
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby pitbullmamaliz » March 24th, 2009, 11:20 am

Inara loves to destuff stuffies, so I let her do it. :| She doesn't get them often, so when she does it's a treat. I let her throw the stuffing all over the house and have a good time.
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby Hundilein » March 24th, 2009, 11:26 am

TheRedQueen wrote:Is the dog crated at any time?

In my house...dogs that gut/tear up toys are supervised, as mentioned before...and if they're out...they can play with them...but not tear them up (they're taken away then). When they're crated...the other dogs can play with their toys all they want.

I don't remember for sure about crating, but will suggest it. Renee has toys that she only gets when Hannah isn't around as well. She's not quite as tough on toys, so she can play supervised with stuffies for short periods of time without ripping them up. Hannah goes for the kill immediately.

pitbullmamaliz wrote:Inara loves to destuff stuffies, so I let her do it. :| She doesn't get them often, so when she does it's a treat. I let her throw the stuffing all over the house and have a good time.

This is basically my philosophy as well. Neither of my girls has ever eaten toys, so I just make sure to take squeakers away as soon as there's a big enough hole to get them out and then let them go to town. I also look for stuffed toys with no eyes at thrift shops for cheap.

madremissy wrote:Kinzyl can't have any stuffed toys. Gone in 10 seconds. I just don't have them around for her. I have to watch the baby toys that are on Mckinlee's walker. She also has a fun game of grabbing Sammy's bed and running to the bedroom with it. She does this while he is still in it. :crazy2:
Gotty has them upstairs. He will destuff then play with the dead stuffie. Kinzyl will shred the whole thing until there is nothing left.

Okay, that just made me laugh out loud as I pictured Kinzyl running with a bed in her mouth, as Sammy sits in the bed wide-eyed flying behind her.
Hundilein
Loyally Bully

Postby mnp13 » March 24th, 2009, 1:15 pm

Put the stuffed toys away?

For some dogs "play" is destroying them, for some dogs it's just actually playing with them. They seem to be expecting the dog to change her play style and I'm not seeing that happen easily.

Ruby doesn't play much, but stuffies die very quickly with her, and twice as fast if there is a squeeker in there. Riggs and Connor play with the quiet ones for a little while before they destroy them, but if they make noise it's all over.

I have a pink doll that I have had since I was three, she lives in a drawer because if the dogs destroy her I'll have a new doll that looks strikingly like the offending dog.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Hundilein » March 24th, 2009, 2:25 pm

mnp13 wrote:Put the stuffed toys away?

For some dogs "play" is destroying them, for some dogs it's just actually playing with them. They seem to be expecting the dog to change her play style and I'm not seeing that happen easily.

That is my feeling as well. I just wanted to make sure no one had some wonder-technique before I essentially tell them that they're going to have to learn to live with it, or bring the dog back. I'm hoping this won't be a deal breaker, but if it is, it just shows me it wasn't meant to be anyway. And we have a great home lined up if this one doesn't work out, so the dog is good to go either way.
Hundilein
Loyally Bully

Postby katiek0417 » March 24th, 2009, 9:42 pm

Personally, I don't give my dogs stuffies...mainly because it messes with their grip in bitework (if they get enough stuffies with squeakers, they tend to try to get chewy on the sleeve to see if it squeaks lol).

However, I used to give Sacha (who doesn't bite) stuffies...but she tears them up...doesn't play...just starts tearing into them...so, honestly, we just stopped giving them to her.

Not a solution...but she can't tear them up if she doesn't get them...
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby Dog_Shrink » March 24th, 2009, 10:28 pm

My Italian Hound is like that. The minute she gets stuffies BOOM... it's right for the squeaker. She has a hole in them and the squeaker out in like 2.5 seconds. We just resorted to monitoring her with them and she loves "catch" so she brings her toys to us now to have us throw them to her. It wasn't easy to get her to stop shredding them and she will if you don't watch her and take them away as soon as she hunkers down on a pillow with them, but she has learned. We have tried the "just skins" with out stuffing and she seems to rip them open just as fast to get the squeaker, just no stuffing guts all over the house :)
Dog_Shrink
Just Whelped

Postby mnp13 » March 25th, 2009, 11:44 am

Hundilein wrote: I'm hoping this won't be a deal breaker, but if it is, it just shows me it wasn't meant to be anyway. And we have a great home lined up if this one doesn't work out, so the dog is good to go either way.

If destroying stuffed toys is a deal breaker I'm not thinking that they need a dog.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby DropkickPA » March 25th, 2009, 2:43 pm

Agatha makes a hole just big enough for her nose to fit in then guts her stuffies. Then she plays with the stuffie pelts for months (until they are so sad and crusty looking I throw them away). She likes to throw the pelts in the air like orca's do with seals.
Dropkick, Dropkid, and Agatha, of course!!
DropkickPA
Confident Young Bully

Postby BullyLady » March 26th, 2009, 1:34 am

DropkickPA wrote:Agatha makes a hole just big enough for her nose to fit in then guts her stuffies. Then she plays with the stuffie pelts for months (until they are so sad and crusty looking I throw them away). She likes to throw the pelts in the air like orca's do with seals.

That is EXACTLY what Sirius does, I find it rather adorable!

Shelby, on the other hand, just shreds and tears them into little stuffy bits. :rolleyes2:
"I'm not all bad but I'm a faithful sinner."
~Dave Matthews
Cathleen
Shelby - AB Mix 1 yr - CGC
BullyLady
Proud Uber Nerd

Postby furever_pit » March 26th, 2009, 11:42 am

Dylan doesn't get stuffies because they never last more than a few minutes. But he also goes for the shake and kill with EVERYTHING. At least the Kongs and the other toys we have can stand up to it. LOL
He even does it with his tug when working on his bite. :doh:
furever_pit
Supremely Bully

Return to Training & Behavior