Dar's Puppy Playgroup Today...

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby ArtGypsy » March 21st, 2009, 7:55 pm

Hey Gang.............well, I took Dar to Puppy Play Date today--------I had been on the phone with her yesterday when Dar and Macy broke out in the fight, so she wanted to see how he would do with a mixture of dog sizes, energies, temperments, etc......
We were there for two hours and Dar didn't show ONE SECOND of dominance or aggression to any dog, at any time, regardless of the 'play energy'!

Which is a good thing!!!! Right!!??? !!!???!!!! :dance:

He rolled over, stopped running if a dog 'corrected him', was polite and even tolerated the pushy Boston Terrier who wanted to hump him!!

Yippppppppeeeeeeeee...!!!!!!!

We worked with some basic Leash Training techniques((he's catching on quickly and I feel better about that)),........we worked on 'palm touch' for a treat............**thinking....what else??***....Guess that's about it.

We've gotten another large crate for the crate and rotate parts of our day.......!!!!

so..........tell me about this trick of hiding food in the yard so the poochie can have a job, going on the HUNT.
(((((((reminds me of Easter Eggs for the Kids!!))))))

Jody, who feels better about Dar, but knows that whatever is going on with him and Macy is still a potential PROBLEM...........
“Hope has two beautiful daughters: their names are Anger and Courage.
Anger that things are the way they are.
Courage to make them the way they ought to be.”----Augustine
ArtGypsy
First I Caught Her, Then I Didn't Share My Fries

Postby airwalk » March 21st, 2009, 8:58 pm

Okay, so that's good news. I know everyone else said it before, but part of what is going on may be just the stress that's in your house right now.

Hide and seek can be played in a lot of ways...if it's really crummy outside, I play it with Scooter and Magic in a couple of ways. I hide very tasty treats around the house...under boxes...behind beds, under beds. I've used milk jugs (cut off the top) and hid treats under them.

Outside it's essentially the same game. Hide them on top of things, under things (where they can get to them after they work a bit), behind things, in the grass. His little brain will work double time trying to figure out all the places you might have hidden a treat for him.
airwalk
I live here

Postby madremissy » March 21st, 2009, 9:18 pm

x2 at what Diana said.
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby BullyLady » March 21st, 2009, 9:46 pm

If I may add another question.... How is the dog supposed to know that it should be looking for something?? I never understood that part.
"I'm not all bad but I'm a faithful sinner."
~Dave Matthews
Cathleen
Shelby - AB Mix 1 yr - CGC
BullyLady
Proud Uber Nerd

Postby airwalk » March 21st, 2009, 9:49 pm

I don't know how others did it..but I started Scooter with a tasty treat under a single milk jug. I showed him the treat and then let him watch me put it under the jug and then waited for him to figure it out.

Once that was done, we added other milk jugs. Then once he figured that out - we even play the shell game with him (I'm so mean sometimes) then I hide them and just start him with a "find it" command and show him the treat I used. The first few times I had to start him by showing him the area the treats were in and kept pointing him in the general direction....now all I have to do is show him the treat and get him started with a "find it", he knows.

Magic is catching on quite quickly using the same process.
airwalk
I live here

Postby Hundilein » March 21st, 2009, 10:16 pm

That is great news about the play group. It sounds like Dar did really well.

Keep working on that palm touch thing, it can be great. I use it all the time in lots of different situations.

airwalk wrote:I don't know how others did it..but I started Scooter with a tasty treat under a single milk jug. I showed him the treat and then let him watch me put it under the jug and then waited for him to figure it out.

Once that was done, we added other milk jugs. Then once he figured that out - we even play the shell game with him (I'm so mean sometimes) then I hide them and just start him with a "find it" command and show him the treat I used. The first few times I had to start him by showing him the area the treats were in and kept pointing him in the general direction....now all I have to do is show him the treat and get him started with a "find it", he knows.

Magic is catching on quite quickly using the same process.

I did it much the same way. Let the dog see you hide it the first time (I put my girls in a stay) and then release them and encourage them to find it. Then I move up to leaving them in one room and taking the treat into the next room to hide it, then release. Now I can walk all over the house hiding things and they'll run off to look as soon as I say "find it". I sometimes even try to trick them by walking all around one room, hiding the treats, and then walking all around another room, pretending. It's funny to watch them look everywhere.

You can also play hide and seek with toys if Dar likes toys. Renee is my toy-loving girl, so we play hide and seek with a toy instead of food. I have more hiding spots that way too (I don't like to hide food in my bed, but I don't mind tucking a toy under the blanket for her to find :)
Sarah and Renee - aka wild child
Hundilein
Loyally Bully

Postby katiek0417 » March 22nd, 2009, 1:47 pm

BullyLady wrote:If I may add another question.... How is the dog supposed to know that it should be looking for something?? I never understood that part.

I don't use food for my dogs...but, you can use the same methods for food as I do for whatever I am training them to detect...

So, I start off by letting my dogs see me put the food down...but I also make it so that it's partially visible for them...and not too far from their noses (so they learn to use their noses)...

Then, I tell them "ok" (release command) and tell them to "search" when they get the food, then praise them when they get to it...

Then, I let them see me hide it a bit more hidden...

Then, I allow them to see me hide it...but I start putting out more than one hide...

Then, I allow them to see me hide it, but I only pretend to hide it in some spots (so they really learn to hunt for it rather than just using their eyes)...

Then, I have someone hold them back, and I tease them with the food, and I pretend to hide it in a few spots, but also do hide it in a few spots, then i have the person holding them turn them around in a circle, and let them go...

Then, two circles...

Remember, all this time, I'm giving a search command when they start searching...

Finally, I do it with them hidden...
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder