Ruby was a great breed embassador!

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby HappyPuppy » March 2nd, 2009, 5:09 pm

We went to an offroad race this Thurs-Friday. Ruby was an AWESOME breed embassador (with people.......…). There were about 5000 people there and she met at least 500 of them! :)) Even got repeat visitors … and people were thanking ME for letting them pet her – how cool is that!?! Twice, I even got introduced as ‘Ruby’s Mom.” She flirted with everyone that went by and got more lovin’s than she could believe. Total backtrack tho on her climbing into peoples’ laps for kisses (we’ve just started working on her holding a sit for pets). She was great with all of the loud noises and big rigs cruising around and revving engines – no fear at all.

But…….she tried to eat every dog that went by: from little dogs to great danes to A PUPPY! :shock: I was pretty surprised that she was like that out there as she’s been pretty good around most dogs and has at worst, seemed ‘selective’. I started watching her more closely, tho, since about 2 weeks ago when we went to the pet store for some shots and she growled at a few dogs there including a fairly young adorable lab puppy. At the offroad event, Ruby was either tethered to our truck, to the staked-down booth canopy leg or on leash. She scared a few people with her snarling but it all seemed to be within a range – she did not fixate on anything more than like 20-or-so feet away. I was hoping she would stay dog social or even just dog selective but I suppose I should now assume she is (or treat her like she is) more or less DA by the way she acted at the event. :( She’s about 4 and we’ve had her 3 years (pit mix).

It is what it is…but I’m wondering if the 3 months we had Sherman contributed to her behavior? We had to physically separate them about 5 or 6 times from spats – most of which were him being too rough with her or her guarding a toy but none required choking off or a break stick. She was definitely not so reactive before we had Sherman. So, waah, I remind my husband every day that it’s ‘to be expected’ but I secretly hoped (based on how she’s been so far) that we’d get off a little lighter….
Ruby Underfoot, CGC
HappyPuppy
Supremely Bully

Postby pitbullmamaliz » March 2nd, 2009, 5:39 pm

Remember, even though she had a good time that was still a highly stressful situation for her. She may have been overly stressed, it could have something to do with the fact that she was tethered. Just a thought. :wink:
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby amazincc » March 2nd, 2009, 8:57 pm

Well... maybe in Rubys mind "a good offense is the best defense" now???
Mick was not DA as a puppy until he got attacked three times (he was on-leash, the other dogs weren't) within six months. After that any dog on the street was a potential danger to him, at least in his mind, and he always made quite a spectacle of himself. :|
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby TheRedQueen » March 2nd, 2009, 10:48 pm

Tethering can definitely make a dog more frustrated...which can lead to aggressiveness. Next time, perhaps you could crate her and cover the crate...?

(And I often want to bite lab puppies too.) ;)
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Return to Training & Behavior