We are trying something new

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby airwalk » February 28th, 2009, 4:09 pm

At least new to us - at the shelter - Erin you'll love this, we have begun clicker training and yep it seems to be working.

Right now we are all learning (thank dog you can't hurt them with mis timed clicks) but already it is amazing how quiet the shelter gets as soon as they figure out there's a clicker in the room. I know Erin, you've been telling me it would work.

right now we are working on getting our timing and spotting behaviors - we are clicking for coming forward in the run, being quiet and keeping all four on the floor - we'll expand it when we are all better.

But...it seems to be working and the dogs seem to love making people click.
airwalk
I live here

Postby amazincc » February 28th, 2009, 4:15 pm

Wow, Diana... that is AWESOME!!! Not just that it's working, but that you actually decided to TRY it!!! :confetti: :bounce: :clap: :helloClap:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby hugapitbull » February 28th, 2009, 5:02 pm

That is awesome! But, I have to admit, it made me laugh picturing in my mind all these barking dogs in a shelter and a clicker sound bringing complete silence. Too funny!
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby iluvk9 » February 28th, 2009, 5:03 pm

What a great idea. Then you can train the new owners.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby SisMorphine » February 28th, 2009, 5:05 pm

What a cool way to help show the dogs off better to potential adopters. We demand video!!!!
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby airwalk » February 28th, 2009, 5:07 pm

hugapitbull wrote:That is awesome! But, I have to admit, it made me laugh picturing in my mind all these barking dogs in a shelter and a clicker sound bringing complete silence. Too funny!

Actually that's just about the way it seems to work...all of a sudden it gets really quiet...kind of eerie actually

Thank you Christine...we decided to give it a shot and see if we can make it work....it appears to be working and it is something that YEP JOYCE owners can continue at home, so we're hoping that if they see the dog behaving in the shelter it will motivate them to learn about it and continue it

Video....yeah right...you're talking to someone that can barely post pictures - I'll have to see if my resident staff techie can figure out how to post video
airwalk
I live here

Postby CinderDee » February 28th, 2009, 7:34 pm

That's so cool! I can't wait to see the video.
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby pitbullmamaliz » February 28th, 2009, 9:07 pm

That's a really great idea! That would have to make the dogs more adoptable. :)
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby airwalk » February 28th, 2009, 9:16 pm

We are hoping it makes them more adoptable and the shelter more enjoyable to visit without 50 barking dogs.

I've truly been impressed with how it addresses the barking and how quickly we've been able to work with some very shy dogs and move them forward.
airwalk
I live here

Postby TheRedQueen » March 2nd, 2009, 12:06 pm

:clap: :clap: :clap:

How very, very cool! I'm glad it's working so well...I have heard of shelters doing this, and think it's awesome! Yea! :confetti:
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby Hundilein » March 2nd, 2009, 4:39 pm

This is so cool!!!!! I went to a seminar about the "Open Paw" program that Kelly Gorman Dunbar had a hand in starting (she may have been the main person to come up with it, but I am not positive about that). They don't use clickers, but do train behaviors like coming up to the front of a run, sitting, no barking, and four on the floor. Basically anything that is "universally cute", meaning it is highly unlikely that anyone looking for a dog would find it unappealing. She talked about how working with the dogs that way makes the shelter so much better to visit, as well as making it less stressful for the dogs. I'm glad to hear it's working well for you. I'd love to hear more about it as you keep going with it.
Sarah and Renee - aka wild child
Hundilein
Loyally Bully

Postby airwalk » March 2nd, 2009, 5:07 pm

Yep what we are using is a conglomeration of clicker training for shelter (Karen Pryor) and Kelly Dunbar's Open Paw program.
airwalk
I live here

Postby TheRedQueen » March 2nd, 2009, 6:35 pm

"Universally Cute"...what a great term...I have to use that for puppy raisers for something...
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby Hundilein » March 2nd, 2009, 6:54 pm

TheRedQueen wrote:"Universally Cute"...what a great term...I have to use that for puppy raisers for something...

Yeah, I liked it too. I can't remember if that was the exact term, but it was something close to that. They wanted to differentiate between things like sitting and tilting your head and thing like jumping up and down in front of you. The first one pretty much everyone thinks is cute. The second some people find cute, but others hate. The first group is good for dogs in shelters to learn. The second, not so much.
Sarah and Renee - aka wild child
Hundilein
Loyally Bully

Return to Training & Behavior