Belgian Malinois for Drug/Gun Detection

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby iluvk9 » February 13th, 2009, 6:37 pm

Yoo Hoo! Katrina!!!

:greenWave:

Our school district just hired a company that will use a Black Labrador :loveU: a GSD and a Malinois. :)
We had a demonstration with "Schotzie" the Mal, today. :dance:

The owner of the company answered questions and then the handler showed us how it works. They had about 20 backpacks and bags set up. Cocaine was wrapped in 20 plastic bags and put into one of the backpacks. Schotzie ran between them and, of course, found the coke, and then sat in front of it.

Her reward was her favorite toy. I think she has OCD because that toy was ALL she focused on after she was done.

I was very impressed with her ability to focus on her handler (while in an auditorium with 800 kids), her job and the freaking toy. 8)

I asked: How much does it cost to train them? (Approximately $8,000.) and what other breeds do they use? (Jack Russel)
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby Marinepits » February 13th, 2009, 6:38 pm

Did you share any of your training tips? :dance:
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby iluvk9 » February 13th, 2009, 6:39 pm

I wish!!!!! 8)
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby SisMorphine » February 13th, 2009, 7:00 pm

iluvk9 wrote:I wish!!!!! 8)

Maybe you should share cooking tips as a way to punish the offenders :giggle:

PS: Those kids must all be shitting themselves. I SO wish we had a drug dog in the school last year. You should have seen the kids faces when they brought in the bomb detection dogs after we had a bomb thread "They are only sniffing for bombs, right?" rofl
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby katiek0417 » February 13th, 2009, 7:15 pm

iluvk9 wrote:Yoo Hoo! Katrina!!!

:greenWave:

Our school district just hired a company that will use a Black Labrador :loveU: a GSD and a Malinois. :)
We had a demonstration with "Schotzie" the Mal, today. :dance:

The owner of the company answered questions and then the handler showed us how it works. They had about 20 backpacks and bags set up. Cocaine was wrapped in 20 plastic bags and put into one of the backpacks. Schotzie ran between them and, of course, found the coke, and then sat in front of it.

Her reward was her favorite toy. I think she has OCD because that toy was ALL she focused on after she was done.

I was very impressed with her ability to focus on her handler (while in an auditorium with 800 kids), her job and the freaking toy. 8)

I asked: How much does it cost to train them? (Approximately $8,000.) and what other breeds do they use? (Jack Russel)

Joyce, that's AWESOME!!!!

Training these dogs is VERY expensive (I keep saying I'm in the wrong business)...I know how much Jerry charges for a fully trained dog...

I bought Nemo fully trained for drugs, and he'll be used for the same type of thing (going to schools, etc)...and, yes, Nemo is like Schotzie - he focuses on the task at hand and his toy...almost to the level of obsession lol

What toy did they use as the reward?
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby SisMorphine » February 13th, 2009, 7:24 pm

katiek0417 wrote:What toy did they use as the reward?

You know those real-life looking baby dolls? I can't remember what they're called but they look eerily real? That's what I would want to use as a reward if I was doing public demos. Just to give people a heart attack :neener:

Yes, this is the stuff I think about when I'm overtired and at work.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby Marinepits » February 13th, 2009, 7:37 pm

SisMorphine wrote:You should have seen the kids faces when they brought in the bomb detection dogs after we had a bomb thread "They are only sniffing for bombs, right?"

Ooopsie! :giggle:
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby katiek0417 » February 13th, 2009, 7:41 pm

SisMorphine wrote:

You know those real-life looking baby dolls? I can't remember what they're called but they look eerily real? That's what I would want to use as a reward if I was doing public demos. Just to give people a heart attack :neener:

Yes, this is the stuff I think about when I'm overtired and at work.

lol...

Marinepits wrote:
SisMorphine wrote:You should have seen the kids faces when they brought in the bomb detection dogs after we had a bomb thread "They are only sniffing for bombs, right?"

Ooopsie! :giggle:

Lys, it was probably the same look of terror I got from my students when I told them I was bringing in my DRUG detection dog for a demo in class lol (oh, and for those who don't know, since I know there are people on here don't know me, I teach at a university lol)

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby iluvk9 » February 13th, 2009, 7:44 pm

Schotzie had a "bland" red ball that was a bit squishy. After she found the cocaine, the handler dropped the ball two feet in front of the bag. Her eyes were already there, waiting for it. 8) You would have thought he gave her a million dog dollars.

I saw them outside while waiting to be called into the auditorium. She was very controlled, yet very hyper. I think he said she was about two years old.

I knew she was a Mal from your dog photos. 8) All the other jackass teachers kept telling me "he brought a skinny German Shep.". :shock: But I KNEW it wasn't when I saw her.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby katiek0417 » February 13th, 2009, 7:57 pm

iluvk9 wrote:Schotzie had a "bland" red ball that was a bit squishy. After she found the cocaine, the handler dropped the ball two feet in front of the bag. Her eyes were already there, waiting for it. 8) You would have thought he gave her a million dog dollars.

I saw them outside while waiting to be called into the auditorium. She was very controlled, yet very hyper. I think he said she was about two years old.

I knew she was a Mal from your dog photos. 8) All the other jackass teachers kept telling me "he brought a skinny German Shep.". :shock: But I KNEW it wasn't when I saw her.

:cuss: THEY ARE NOT SKINNY GERMAN SHEPHERDS!!!! Sorry, I'm done now...at least I know my pics are useful for something here! lol

I always like hearing the different rewards handlers use. It gives me ideas...right now, Nemo uses a kong...

Wow, a 2-year old mal doing drug work...yeah, I can imagine... :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby iluvk9 » February 13th, 2009, 7:59 pm

Do you know why the handler wore gloves? The dog was very under control. :|
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby katiek0417 » February 13th, 2009, 8:00 pm

iluvk9 wrote:Do you know why the handler wore gloves? The dog was very under control. :|

What kind of gloves, and what kind of leash?

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby iluvk9 » February 13th, 2009, 8:01 pm

The gloves looked like a nylon mesh with some leather. But no fingers. 8)

The leash was braided leather, I think. He held it very loose. He talked to her most of the time and I think that directed her more than the leash.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby katiek0417 » February 13th, 2009, 8:07 pm

My guess is that he was wearing gloves that would protect his hands...or to get more traction on the leash if he needed it...

We have club members that wear gloves...personally, I don't like to wear gloves...but I guess I could see how they'd be a benefit...

I know that when I do searches with Nemo, I hold the leash lightly to keep him in front of me...actually, I'm in front of him walking backwards, and he's facing me...so if the place he is to search is on my right, I'm holding the leash with my left hand...and I use my right hand to get him to sniff certain areas...now, I also do "free" searches with him, where I let go of the leash...but he's a train wreck, so I can't do it if there's a lot of breakable stuff, etc around...

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby iluvk9 » February 13th, 2009, 8:10 pm

When they did the actual search, the handler was in front, and pointing to each bag. When they were just walking in, the dog was next to him and you wouldn't have even thought there was a leash.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby katiek0417 » February 13th, 2009, 8:13 pm

iluvk9 wrote:When they did the actual search, the handler was in front, and pointing to each bag. When they were just walking in, the dog was next to him and you wouldn't have even thought there was a leash.

Okay, so it sounds like I do it much like the handler you saw today...I don't know if that's standard...but it's what Jerry teaches :|

I think that's awesome, though....

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby iluvk9 » February 13th, 2009, 8:15 pm

We were told when the dogs are in the hallways to ignore them and stay to the right, because they will always be on the left while they search.

I don't know how I am going to ignore the Black Lab. :rolleyes2:
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby BritneyP » February 13th, 2009, 8:20 pm

SisMorphine wrote:

DITTO!
Cruiser v Kellhof, CGC, TDInc- GSD
Jack z Esagilu, Police K9- GSD
Pia z Westwood- GSD
Darca z Perstatskeho mlyna- GSD
Sadie v Foster- GSD
Nala, CGC- GSD
BritneyP
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby katiek0417 » February 13th, 2009, 8:27 pm

iluvk9 wrote:We were told when the dogs are in the hallways to ignore them and stay to the right, because they will always be on the left while they search.

I don't know how I am going to ignore the Black Lab. :rolleyes2:

Control, Joyce...control!!!

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417