Concerned about Sherman - pushiness(?)/bit me

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby ellie@ny » February 8th, 2009, 7:06 pm

HappyPuppy wrote:So we just got back from dropping Sherman off. :( They are going to evaluate him and have a possible home lined up (an original inquiry on Sherman as well) with a hard core trainer who has been looking ofr a high drive dog to do WP or Schutzund (sp?), etc. with. The consensus today was that he is high drive (tho not hyper) and we are not high drive. I sort of feel dumb for feeling 'scared' when he probably really wasn't trying to actually 'hurt' me but because it did hurt and he was seriously focusing on US each time, I wasn't sure how far he was going to go and I didn't know how to redirect him. But we have learned what we have in the 3 months we've had him. I'm anxious to hear how that goes for him - sounds like it will be an excellent match. Queen Ruby will enjoy the private attention for awhile, I'm sure!

I'm sorry to hear that he didn't work out for you guys,you did the right thing with giving him back to the sbt the rescue.I hope they will find the perfect match for him,as now they know about his high drive.
I don't like to give advice on temperament issues on the internet,because maybe in person I would see the dog from a different perspective than you or someone else.
Yes these dogs can be VERY handful,APBT's at least have a turn off button,when they're tired they lay down and relax,Staffords just keep on going.. :rolleyes2:
When Milo needs attention he would try to grab my sweat shirt,bark at me to let me know he's there and want to go out etc.
He's doing it right now as I type,and he just had a 5 mi bike run,and an hour walk after that today afternoon.
Maya and Nico are sleeping of course... :crazy2:
But that's why I love his little rat ass.
So again don't feel bad,hopefully next time you will choose the right dog for your life style! :wink:
Ellie
----------------------------------------
"Winners aren't born...they're made.And they're made just like anything else...through hard work.That's the price we'll have to pay to achive that goal."
ellie@ny
Full of Bully

Postby TheRedQueen » February 10th, 2009, 8:11 pm

Happy Puppy...how are ya doing? :hug3:
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby ellie@ny » February 11th, 2009, 9:53 am

I saw the other post about Shermann on the other board,and he's doing excellent back at the rescue,everyone loves him and spoil him. :dance: He will be adopted out to an expreienced owner in the near future.
Ellie
"Winners aren't born...they're made.And they're made just like anything else...through hard work.That's the price we'll have to pay to achive that goal."
ellie@ny
Full of Bully

Postby TheRedQueen » February 11th, 2009, 10:10 am

ellie@ny wrote:I saw the other post about Shermann on the other board,and he's doing excellent back at the rescue,everyone loves him and spoil him. :dance: He will be adopted out to an expreienced owner in the near future.

Seriously...they're spoiling him? :? I hope they don't think this was just an owner problem...
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen

Postby DemoDick » February 11th, 2009, 10:14 am

Seriously...they're spoiling him? I hope they don't think this was just an owner problem...

Yeah, "spoiling" a high drive problem solver (if that is indeed what he is) is a BAAAAAD idea...

Demo Dick
"My first priority will be to reinstate the assault weapons ban PERMANENTLY as soon as I take office...I intend to work with Congress on a national no carry law, 1 gun a month purchase limits, and bans on all semi-automatic guns."-Barack Obama
"When in doubt, whip it out."-Nuge
DemoDick
They Like to Fondle My Gun

Postby ellie@ny » February 11th, 2009, 10:16 am

That's not what I meant.. :)
Here is the original message:

" it is Tuesday morning and Lyssa isn't coming over until this afternoon but Sherman is doing great. All the boys at work have been rough-housing with him and can't get him to do anything wrong. He is the most spoiled dog there, anytime someone can't be found they are usually in his kennel cuddling with him. One of the girls fell asleep in there yesterday. All the guys want to take him home but since most of them can barely take care of themselves that isn't an option.. I have no concerns at all with re-homing him with someone who can handle a big strong dog who has lots of drive. I'll take some pix today, he looks so good! "
Ellie
ellie@ny
Full of Bully

Postby DemoDick » February 11th, 2009, 10:22 am

ellie@ny wrote:That's not what I meant.. :)
Here is the original message:

" it is Tuesday morning and Lyssa isn't coming over until this afternoon but Sherman is doing great. All the boys at work have been rough-housing with him and can't get him to do anything wrong. He is the most spoiled dog there, anytime someone can't be found they are usually in his kennel cuddling with him. One of the girls fell asleep in there yesterday. All the guys want to take him home but since most of them can barely take care of themselves that isn't an option.. I have no concerns at all with re-homing him with someone who can handle a big strong dog who has lots of drive. I'll take some pix today, he looks so good! "

Ok, I thought the shelter workers were spoiling him. Thanks for clarifying.

Demo Dick
"My first priority will be to reinstate the assault weapons ban PERMANENTLY as soon as I take office...I intend to work with Congress on a national no carry law, 1 gun a month purchase limits, and bans on all semi-automatic guns."-Barack Obama
DemoDick

Postby ellie@ny » February 11th, 2009, 10:34 am

And some pix from yesterday with a little OB training.
Ellie
ellie@ny
Full of Bully

Postby TheRedQueen » February 11th, 2009, 11:45 am

Thanks for clarifying...and I still hope they remember to remind everyone of the "honeymoon period"...Sherman was fine at first with HP too. ;)

TheRedQueen

Postby HappyPuppy » February 11th, 2009, 1:37 pm

Thanks, Ellie for reposting the updates. Dayna was able to get him to repeat the climb-up-your-arm business and used some physical aversion and said he didn't do it after that. Here's her latest email (I don't think she'd mind if I posted) - this picks up with her prev question re if we got physical with him. In my first post here, I thought our being physical was contrubuting to his behavior but then realized it was not cause and effect.... :

"Being physical would have (exacerbated the problem) if he were a vicious dog or even a dog with anger issues. But he isn't, he's a very intelligent dog who figured out very quickly that he could buffalo you and make you think he was the boss. I just posted pix of him on that thread if you want to go look. He listened very well after he figured out I wouldn't stand for his crap..lol I've told the boys not not let him jump at them anymore either, that's the one thing that needs to be nipped in the bud right now. He is welcome to jump up for a cuddle, but that launching stuff is done. Lyssa didn't make it over tonight but I'm confident she'll agree with me. He is very attuned to the boys at work, I think he needs a young male owner. :-) "

Now I feel like I let a good dog get away but I do realize I need to get a couple more years of dog/bully experience before I'm ready for 'a lot of dog.' I was sort of confused because I thought high drive = hyper/high energy and Ruby is fairly hyper and intense with energy and tap dancing but lower drive over all and Sherman is super quiet and calm but higher drive so my logic was off.......
Ruby Underfoot, CGC
HappyPuppy
Supremely Bully

Postby mnp13 » February 11th, 2009, 1:44 pm

HappyPuppy wrote: I was sort of confused because I thought high drive = hyper/high energy and Ruby is fairly hyper and intense with energy and tap dancing but lower drive over all

This is a very common misconception, and one of the reasons that there is such a disconnect between rescues and people looking for "high drive dogs."

I'm glad that things are working out for him back at the rescue, and in the long run you learned a lot about dog behavior. Though it was a hard experience it worked out for everyone involved.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby DemoDick » February 12th, 2009, 12:01 am

mnp13 wrote:
HappyPuppy wrote: I was sort of confused because I thought high drive = hyper/high energy and Ruby is fairly hyper and intense with energy and tap dancing but lower drive over all

This is a very common misconception, and one of the reasons that there is such a disconnect between rescues and people looking for "high drive dogs."

I'm glad that things are working out for him back at the rescue, and in the long run you learned a lot about dog behavior. Though it was a hard experience it worked out for everyone involved.

Roger that in a big, big way.

Demo Dick
DemoDick

Postby ellie@ny » February 12th, 2009, 8:49 pm

HappyPuppy wrote:Thanks, Ellie for reposting the updates. Dayna was able to get him to repeat the climb-up-your-arm business and used some physical aversion and said he didn't do it after that. Here's her latest email (I don't think she'd mind if I posted) - this picks up with her prev question re if we got physical with him. In my first post here, I thought our being physical was contrubuting to his behavior but then realized it was not cause and effect.... :

"Being physical would have (exacerbated the problem) if he were a vicious dog or even a dog with anger issues. But he isn't, he's a very intelligent dog who figured out very quickly that he could buffalo you and make you think he was the boss. I just posted pix of him on that thread if you want to go look. He listened very well after he figured out I wouldn't stand for his crap..lol I've told the boys not not let him jump at them anymore either, that's the one thing that needs to be nipped in the bud right now. He is welcome to jump up for a cuddle, but that launching stuff is done. Lyssa didn't make it over tonight but I'm confident she'll agree with me. He is very attuned to the boys at work, I think he needs a young male owner. :-) "

Now I feel like I let a good dog get away but I do realize I need to get a couple more years of dog/bully experience before I'm ready for 'a lot of dog.' I was sort of confused because I thought high drive = hyper/high energy and Ruby is fairly hyper and intense with energy and tap dancing but lower drive over all and Sherman is super quiet and calm but higher drive so my logic was off.......

Don't feel bad at all,take it as a learning experience!!! :wink: You'll know when you're ready!
Ellie
ellie@ny
Full of Bully

Postby amazincc » February 12th, 2009, 8:56 pm

HappyPuppy wrote:
Now I feel like I let a good dog get away

No, you didn't! :wink:
You made sure that a good dog will find an appropriate home, suited to his needs!!!
Shermz couldn't have asked for any better than that. :hug3:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Previous

Return to Training & Behavior