carpet mill

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby ellie@ny » January 23rd, 2009, 8:11 pm

Anybody have a good advice how to start dogs on the carpet mill?
I have never owned one,we used to have a treadmill,which was easy,but because the carpet mill is manual,I really want them to like it from the beginning.
It will arrive hopefully next week,so I have no idea what to expect at the moment... :|
Ellie
----------------------------------------
"Winners aren't born...they're made.And they're made just like anything else...through hard work.That's the price we'll have to pay to achive that goal."
ellie@ny
Full of Bully

Postby DemoDick » January 23rd, 2009, 8:21 pm

I used food and praise to start my dog. Train when the dog is at his hungriest and give small treats and verbal praise when he runs at a moderate speed. You don't want to encourage sprinting. Keep each session short, like a minute or so and don't ever let him get bored or worn out. You should always end the session while he is having fun, and after he "gets it", stop the mill and give him a BIG food reward (maybe his meal) while he's still hooked up.

Demo Dick
"My first priority will be to reinstate the assault weapons ban PERMANENTLY as soon as I take office...I intend to work with Congress on a national no carry law, 1 gun a month purchase limits, and bans on all semi-automatic guns."-Barack Obama
"When in doubt, whip it out."-Nuge
DemoDick
They Like to Fondle My Gun

Postby ellie@ny » January 23rd, 2009, 8:31 pm

Thanks Demo!
I was planning almost the same/using food,short sessions/,I really-really want them to like it later on,and not having it as a dust collector. :rolleyes2:
Ellie
"Winners aren't born...they're made.And they're made just like anything else...through hard work.That's the price we'll have to pay to achive that goal."
ellie@ny
Full of Bully

Postby ellie@ny » January 24th, 2009, 12:12 am

MoPulldogs wrote:
ellie@ny wrote:Thanks Demo!
I was planning almost the same/using food,short sessions/,I really-really want them to like it later on,and not having it as a dust collector. :rolleyes2:

We have never had a dog dislike the mill. When we put their running harness on we always ask them "Are you ready to go run?" in a really excited voice. We make it sound like it's alot of fun, try to make a game of it. Don't act like it's a big deal so they won't think it's a big deal. We will sit in front of the mill and tap the running surface with our hand. When they take off, even just walking we make a big animated deal of it. You know "over the top neighbors think your crazy praise" :crazy2: ...LOL I will even use a very animated tone of voice so they know they are doing the right thing. Short sessions, lots of treats once they are off them mill and there is no such thing as too much praise when you are starting something new.

Thank you,you gave me hopes with your first sentence! :)
I definitely have that animated voice! :wink: Now I can't wait! :dance:
Ellie
ellie@ny
Full of Bully

Postby ellie@ny » January 28th, 2009, 9:00 am

Alright so this is how it went....
1.day:-Milo loved it-he was running his head off with full speed for about 3-5 minutes,I praised him verbally,and he was very happy after too.
-Maya didn't like it so much and was nervous on it,after 1 minute I took her off because she wasn't happy at all.
2.day: -Milo didn't like it anymore,kept turning backwards and running like that/tried to get off/,I used praise-food,he just wanted off...
-Maya liked it, was running like a pro for about 5 minutes,then I stopped her.Was very happy.
3.day:-Milo, I didn't let him turn back used more food and praise,right now he is running until he reaches the food then stop.SO we played this game for about 10 minutes,but he didn't turned back at least.Was happy though,not nervous like on day 2.
-Maya again like a pro,was running for about 6 minutes,then I stopped her.

So this is where we're right now,Milo being an anoying azzhole,but I'm being patient with him,just don't get it why he liked it soo much on day 1/when I didn't even had to use food?/. :neutral:
Ellie
ellie@ny
Full of Bully

Return to Training & Behavior