Common Dog Commands in Several Languages

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby TheRedQueen » December 21st, 2008, 12:14 am

"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby KJS » December 21st, 2008, 4:52 am

Its a lot of fun....but woah what a lot of mistakes :mrgreen:
Dont breed or buy while shelter animals die!
KJS
Supremely Bully

Postby katiek0417 » December 21st, 2008, 5:27 am

There's a lot of sites like that...and it's amazing to hear the difference between, for example, a true German saying Platz and someone like me saying it! :wink:
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby pitbullmamaliz » December 21st, 2008, 10:23 am

That's neat!
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby fenella » December 21st, 2008, 12:09 pm

Some of Murphy's first commands were in German. We did a mix of both. After his bad experience with his first trainer, we went to all-English to try to get rid of the bad association. I usually found myself using the English ones anyway. He still will respond to platz occasionally.
fenella
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby TheRedQueen » December 21st, 2008, 12:13 pm

I can barely get English out of my mouth...much less remember anything else. ;) I'm sure my dogs are pretty well-versed in "Erinese" now. lol
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen

Postby Hoyden » December 21st, 2008, 12:43 pm

TheRedQueen wrote:I can barely get English out of my mouth...much less remember anything else. ;) I'm sure my dogs are pretty well-versed in "Erinese" now. lol

LMAO! Funny you mention that. You should see some of the people we train with tweak when they hear me give verbal commands to Birdie.

Come has morphed into uh-mee-ahs
Good girl into gud goos
Here into ee yhahs
Bad/No is Dahmi (Japanese for bad)

In the course of working together, our commands have become their own language. While Birdie will listen to normal verbal commands, my jibber jabber commands take precedence over anyone else's verbal commands.
Moral courage is the most valuable and usually the most absent characteristic in men ~ General George S. Patton, Jr.

She taking all the stars down from her sky to hang them up someplace new, where there's better weather and the sky's a different blue. ~ Autumn Fields
Hoyden
Collar Queen

Postby BullyLady » December 21st, 2008, 5:52 pm

Hoyden wrote:
TheRedQueen wrote:I can barely get English out of my mouth...much less remember anything else. ;) I'm sure my dogs are pretty well-versed in "Erinese" now. lol

LMAO! Funny you mention that. You should see some of the people we train with tweak when they hear me give verbal commands to Birdie.

Come has morphed into uh-mee-ahs
Good girl into gud goos
Here into ee yhahs
Bad/No is Dahmi (Japanese for bad)

In the course of working together, our commands have become their own language. While Birdie will listen to normal verbal commands, my jibber jabber commands take precedence over anyone else's verbal commands.

LMAO Oh my, that's hilarious!!

I heard, though, that it's actually better that way. I have a friend who uses "flutterbutt" as her release word. I can see where that would be useful because I can't even count how many times I've had my dogs in a down or whatever and my husband says "Okay" for another purpose (to me, the other dog, on the phone, etc....) and the dog I'm working with gets up. :rolleyes2:
"I'm not all bad but I'm a faithful sinner."
~Dave Matthews
Cathleen
Shelby - AB Mix 1 yr - CGC
BullyLady
Proud Uber Nerd

Postby TheRedQueen » December 21st, 2008, 6:09 pm

I heard, though, that it's actually better that way. I have a friend who uses "flutterbutt" as her release word. I can see where that would be useful because I can't even count how many times I've had my dogs in a down or whatever and my husband says "Okay" for another purpose (to me, the other dog, on the phone, etc....) and the dog I'm working with gets up. :rolleyes2:

That's why we use "Stolen" and "Paid for" with our Assistance Dogs...so they don't eat stuff out in public when someone says "Okay". ;)

TheRedQueen

Postby Hoyden » December 21st, 2008, 7:39 pm

TheRedQueen wrote:

That's why we use "Stolen" and "Paid for" with our Assistance Dogs...so they don't eat stuff out in public when someone says "Okay". ;)

I found out that Birdie would break a down stay, swipe food or toys when she heard OKAY with in the first few months that I had her. She heard a woman in the office at the place we trained say "okay" on the phone so she broke the down stay, grabbed a McDonald's chicken strip and went into a crate to have a snack. That word was banished from our training vocabulary.

I use "Bruha" as in brouhaha as her release command. For some reason, she likes that word, it makes her happy and waggy, so I decided to use it.

I use a separate command to release Birdie to eat while she is "on the job". I tell her "Maaanga".

For "Let's go" I use andiamo. Italian for "let's go".
Moral courage is the most valuable and usually the most absent characteristic in men ~ General George S. Patton, Jr.

She taking all the stars down from her sky to hang them up someplace new, where there's better weather and the sky's a different blue. ~ Autumn Fields
Hoyden
Collar Queen

Postby Rolex+Deebo » December 28th, 2008, 6:44 pm

Thats a cool site! I'm from Czech Republic, so Rolex is all Czech.
You should see some of the looks I get in classes, and trials.
Last year, on the end of one of the OB trials, the judge came up to me and asked "what on earth were you saying to that dog?" lol
PR Top Line's Inna White Tee CGC ~aka~ ♥Rolex♥
Deebo ~aka~ Slobber Monkey
Scahill's Goddess Of Light CGC TDI ~aka~ Ziva

Until he extends his circle of compassion to include all living things, man will not himself find peace. Albert Schweitzer
Rolex+Deebo
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby katiek0417 » December 28th, 2008, 8:53 pm

Rolex+Deebo wrote:Thats a cool site! I'm from Czech Republic, so Rolex is all Czech.
You should see some of the looks I get in classes, and trials.
Last year, on the end of one of the OB trials, the judge came up to me and asked "what on earth were you saying to that dog?" lol

Nemo is partly in Czech b/c that's where he was imported from...so the guy that started his training started him in Czech...

I gotta tell you, though, I have 3 main dogs that I am/will be competing with (Cy, Nisha, and Nemo), and each has a different language (Cy - French, Nisha - Dutch, Nemo - combination of Dutch/Czech)...it's funny on the trial field when I give the wrong the command!!! lol My response is even funnier "Oh, crap, that's not your language." And, yes, I've said that on the trial field!

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby Rolex+Deebo » December 28th, 2008, 9:11 pm

I have the same problem! Thats why Rolex is bilingual in the "basics" (sit, down, come).
But I still do the "stay, :doh: .... zustan"
Now I have to transfer Deebo to Czech, I taught him in English cuz I didn't plan on keeping him,and now I keep on telling him in Czech, and he looks at me like :crazy2:
PR Top Line's Inna White Tee CGC ~aka~ ♥Rolex♥
Deebo ~aka~ Slobber Monkey
Scahill's Goddess Of Light CGC TDI ~aka~ Ziva

Until he extends his circle of compassion to include all living things, man will not himself find peace. Albert Schweitzer
Rolex+Deebo
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby TheRedQueen » December 28th, 2008, 9:34 pm

Heck, I can't even get my dogs names out right most days...

I come off the flyball lanes all of the time to hear someone say..."You know you were calling the wrong dog, right?" :doh:

TheRedQueen

Postby katiek0417 » December 28th, 2008, 9:55 pm

Rolex+Deebo wrote:I have the same problem! Thats why Rolex is bilingual in the "basics" (sit, down, come).
But I still do the "stay, :doh: .... zustan"
Now I have to transfer Deebo to Czech, I taught him in English cuz I didn't plan on keeping him,and now I keep on telling him in Czech, and he looks at me like :crazy2:

Every once in a while when I have Cy and Nisha out together, I'll tell Nisha something in Dutch, and Cy will do it...even though he doesn't know it...and I know it's just body language or tone of voice...but I feel ya...I have to get myself mentally prepared (in other words, repeat the commands to myself) before I get a dog out to work! :crazy2: It's okay that my dogs think I'm nuts!

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Return to Training & Behavior