Martingale Collar

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby rockermom » April 29th, 2006, 5:04 pm

I just got a martingale collar for Rocky. It is the type that does not have a clasp just pull over head. I was wondering how a martingale collar should be worn. Is it to be tight and up behind ears or should it be kept loose enough to pull on and off?
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby SisMorphine » April 29th, 2006, 5:24 pm

Keep it loose. Basically when you pull the martingale slip it should tighten up behind the ears just tightly enough that it isn't going to choke the dog. So when the dog is not pulling it should rest very loosely at the bottom of the neck.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby rockermom » April 29th, 2006, 5:30 pm

Thanks, Well loose tight does not really matter on Rocky since the collars never stay up high on him. I loosened it some so I can slip it off if I need too. I plan to buy one of hoydens in the future, but I wanted to try one first. So I bought one of the Lupine ones today.
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Return to Training & Behavior