Need HELP for anxious dog

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby dlynne1123 » December 11th, 2008, 10:04 pm

Yeah, we refer people to a veterinary behaviorist in nashua NH and she is very reasonable. More so than training behaviorists I have trained with. She does a great job going over some scheduled goals and tips and pointers. I usually send people to her when they have more respect for the Degree, but I'm proud to say she recommends a lot of the same stuff we recommend at training! Good luck, and be sure to give it some time, it may be just what the doctor ordered.

Also, its not the girl herself but maybe how she approached the dog or how she looked at the dog....so long as it was ignored rather than soothed, I'm sure its a mute point by now. So long as the visit wasnt' traumatizing, I'm sure shes already forgotten about the scary tech. We are usually on a mission with other things on the brain, and don't always approach dogs the correct way, and not all techs know how to read dogs either. So long as they are willing to work with you in future visits it should get better. It may be one of those conditioning things to work on....going to the vets for good visits...just to get weighed or to say hi, rather than always get poked and prodded.
Ryder - Rescue APBT
Panser on a Roll - APBT (American Bully?)
Gretchen - the red headed cat that thinks shes a dog
Prudence - the new cat on the block to put the dogs in their place!
Punchlines Better Than Lojac - APBT (RIP)
dlynne1123
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby fenella » December 11th, 2008, 10:53 pm

Thanks, everyone. Murphy is on 20mg. From reading the other thread about Inara, I see that this can vary widely.
The tech acted very nervous in front of Murphy (and I don't blame her after he growled). She asked if I would mind trying to muzzle him. I put muzzles on my guys sometimes for practice (just for a minute, then they get peanut butter). I figured that if they ever NEEDED them, I wouldn't want them to be freaking out about having one on. He was ok with it.
The other tech who has known Murphy since he was 8 weeks came in to help. Very cheerful (but not cooing) voice. We kept it very light "That's a good boy. You're fine" I was very proud of him.
At the end of the visit, he was reeeaaaaching in with his nose to sniff the scary tech. She turned suddenly when she realized he was approaching and jumped back a little, which sent him scurrying. Again, she did a fine job with him..I don't blame her. He scared her (which is kinda funny to me because Murphy is generally the most mushy non-threatening dog toward people).
I am trying to take the attitude that what's done is done. I've started it, so I may as well see how it goes. Like I said before, I have just been feeling guilty because I keep seconding-guessing myself..."He isn't really THAT bad." (Erin, I'm sure you'll jump in on that one, and that's fine)
fenella
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby ArtGypsy » December 12th, 2008, 12:49 pm

Hey guys......I'm going to make a comment here, (I know I'm really new, and this may not be appropriate), but even though I don't have any animals on medication, I did have to decide whether or not to medicate my son, who was diagnosed with major depression, AT SEVEN years old.

We had spent years and years (okay, 7 years), dealing with a child that just reacted to the world around him and the world within his head, DIFFERENTLY. Therapy, behavioral programs and PATIENCE was not enough. We finally went ahead and tried SSRI's. and now, after trying several times to wean him off, we know that prozac changed HIS LIFE.

I KNOW doggies may not have the cognitive ability to think about their behaviors and modify their own reactions to stress , but I BELIEVE in my Heart that sometimes, it's the MEDICATION that takes off the "edge" just ENOUGH so the dog(person) can begin to work on the other components in life that helps everything come together Eventually.

Again, Dogs and Kids, ((Dogs and Adults, even)) are different ..........But without the medication, Cole was just too 'stuck' and miserable to listen, to adapt, to learn, to Try.

We're always afraid of 'taking the easy way out'........or throwing meds at a problem instead of working at the issues. And me, with such a young child, i knew the risks and concerns with meds. I tried everything before finally opting for the meds at 8 yrs. old.
He has been on prozac for 3 1/2 years and I can't believe the difference. ........he plateaued out on lexepro and cylexa....

We just have to do our best. And if our dog ( or child) had a metabolic imbalance (diabetes) or a neurological imbalance (epilepsy), we wouldn't withhold meds for those conditions would we?

I say bravo for doing your best and trying everything. !!!

Good Luck!!!

----------Jody, on the brrrr--chilly---brrrr---Prairie
“Hope has two beautiful daughters: their names are Anger and Courage.
Anger that things are the way they are.
Courage to make them the way they ought to be.”----Augustine
ArtGypsy
First I Caught Her, Then I Didn't Share My Fries

Postby BigDogBuford » December 12th, 2008, 2:05 pm

I totally agree with the above poster. My mom is completely non-functioning without meds. Completely. Like locked in the psych ward months at a time while I was growing up. You have to do other stuff, too....but the meds are what makes her life *not* a living hell.
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby fenella » December 14th, 2008, 1:54 pm

Thanks. I decided to go ahead and try it. It has been a few days now. I am a little concerned because, for the last two days, he has woken me up with crying/whining fits at 2 am. (I am giving it to him before bed). This is very unusual for him. I tried ignoring it, but last night, it went on for an hour and a half. I took him outside on a leash without talking to him, then right back in the crate (I don't want to reinforce the behavior). I am just worried that maybe the meds are giving him a headache or something. Of course, I have no way of knowing if he is experiencing side-effects. I am going to slowly change the dosage time to see if maybe it is just making him have to go to the bathroom at an odd time. :|
fenella
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby amazincc » December 16th, 2008, 1:20 am

Have you tried giving it in the morning???

I take it, and I tolerate it much better when I take it in the daytime.
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby BullyLady » December 16th, 2008, 1:36 am

amazincc wrote:Have you tried giving it in the morning???

I take it, and I tolerate it much better when I take it in the daytime.

+1, it works much better when taken in the morning
"I'm not all bad but I'm a faithful sinner."
~Dave Matthews
Cathleen
Shelby - AB Mix 1 yr - CGC
BullyLady
Proud Uber Nerd

Postby fenella » December 16th, 2008, 10:46 am

Ok. I'll try that. I was going based on the drowsiness label...maybe that doesn't apply to dogs.
fenella
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Previous

Return to Training & Behavior