Leash training at Petco

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby amazincc » November 10th, 2008, 9:04 pm

So... I went to Petco the other day, for the first time ever... and it was an eye-opener.
And not just because of the prices they charge for a "good" kibble... holy cow. :o

There was a young man there w/his 4-months old puppy... a bulldog/pit mix. Apparently his puppy pulls on the leash when they go for walks, to the point of chafing his neck raw w/the collar.
He brought the puppy to Petco to get help w/leash training.

Anywho... the "trainer" (a really mean-looking older lady) proceeded to slap a choke chain on the puppy, and started walking up and down the aisle w/him.
When I say "walk" I mean she dragged the poor thing behind her, jerking him to her side every so often... w/the puppy actually becoming air-borne a few times from the force of her yanking him by the leash.
The "trainer" also told the owner that he must never, ever walk the puppy on his right side - ALWAYS on the left side only.

Since the woman scared the bejebus out of me I didn't ask her why... anybody have any insight?
Or is it just that particular womans preference?
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby katiek0417 » November 10th, 2008, 9:09 pm

In order to get an effective correction out of a choke chain, it must be put on in a certain way depending on which side the dog walks on...that would be my only guess....
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby amazincc » November 10th, 2008, 9:11 pm

Oh... duh. :doh: :oops:

That would make sense then.
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby katiek0417 » November 10th, 2008, 9:16 pm

amazincc wrote:Oh... duh. :doh: :oops:

That would make sense then.

Personally, I don't like choke chains...well, you know that...but basically, if the dog is sitting in front of you, you put the choke chain on so that the long end is hanging down like a "p"...then you're ready to heel on the left side....

For right side heeling, the dog sits in front of you and you put it on like a "q"

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby amazincc » November 10th, 2008, 9:20 pm

Yes, I know that... someone here pointed out that Micks chain was on "wrong" when I joined. lol

I didn't even think of it at Petco... and the owner of the puppy was too afraid to ask as well, I think. :wink:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby katiek0417 » November 10th, 2008, 9:27 pm

amazincc wrote:Yes, I know that... someone here pointed out that Micks chain was on "wrong" when I joined. lol

I didn't even think of it at Petco... and the owner of the puppy was too afraid to ask as well, I think. :wink:

Poor puppy....how old was it? I mean, could you tell?

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby amazincc » November 10th, 2008, 9:30 pm

amazincc wrote:
There was a young man there w/his 4-months old puppy... a bulldog/pit mix.

Such a cute and fat little thing too... :(

I saw the owner cringe several times, and I hope he discontinued that particular "training" method when he left the store.
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby katiek0417 » November 10th, 2008, 9:32 pm

Oops...sorry...read it too fast...I just saw puppy...

That's awful...I would never put a puppy that young in a correction collar

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby airwalk » November 10th, 2008, 10:03 pm

A couple of weeks ago at an event, we had a lady come up to talk with us about training a 6 month old Siberian that her daughter left her. She said they'd been kicked out of puppy class because the Sib was too distracting. Then she proceeded to tell us how the instructor had put a training collar on the pup - she said "you know the kind with the pointy thingies". We both cringed - she then went on to tell us how every time the instructor would correct the pup would scream (gee go figure) so they got kicked out.

We told her she needed a new instructor. There was nothing wrong with the pup, the instructor was an idiot (I think I actually used that word) and told her that anytime an instructor kicks a puppy out of class for being distracting, it means the instructor doesn't want to bother actually training.

So I applaud the fact that you kept quiet while this lady was doing that, I'm not sure I could have.
airwalk
I live here

Postby amazincc » November 10th, 2008, 10:43 pm

airwalk wrote:
So I applaud the fact that you kept quiet while this lady was doing that, I'm not sure I could have.

Oh, don't applaud... I felt horrible when I got home, and I wish I would've said something. :oops: :sad2:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby TheRedQueen » November 10th, 2008, 11:33 pm

At our Fidos event (a walk-a-thon) this past weekend, I saw no less than two puppies in choke or prong collars. And when I say puppy, I mean 6 months and under. Being dragged or on a tight leash the entire time.

:nono:

*Sigh*
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby airwalk » November 11th, 2008, 1:13 am

amazincc wrote:
airwalk wrote:

Oh, don't applaud... I felt horrible when I got home, and I wish I would've said something. :oops: :sad2:

Yeah, I understand, but sometimes saying something only makes the situation worse. Hopefully the owner understood that was inappropriate and finds a different way to leash train.
airwalk
I live here

Postby Malli » November 11th, 2008, 6:08 am

so, on this topic, what is the appropriate solution to the pulling puppy? Ignore it? Leash corrections on a flat collar?
I've forgotten the finer points of my puppy edicate and training :doh:
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby katiek0417 » November 11th, 2008, 9:02 am

There are several methods you can use on a puppy that don't involve "corrections." Harnesses can reduce pulling, as can halti collars (like the gentle leader), and they do have no pull harnesses, now....

However, some of the most effective methods is just to use food to bait the dog to be near you...this way you are effectively teaching the dog to heel, and that staying next to you gets it something good. I've also seen a lot done with clicker training...first, using the clicker to teach the dog that being near you is good...then adding in the leash, etc....

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby maberi » November 11th, 2008, 9:59 am

This is what I have been doing with Kayden (puppy brain when it comes to training)

I hate new owners having choke chains slapped onto their puppies. Usually these people have zero training experience so they do not know any better.

katiek0417 wrote:However, some of the most effective methods is just to use food to bait the dog to be near you...this way you are effectively teaching the dog to heel, and that staying next to you gets it something good. I've also seen a lot done with clicker training...first, using the clicker to teach the dog that being near you is good...then adding in the leash, etc....
Look beyond what your own eyes see
maberi
I Save My Empty Calories For The Bottle

Postby airwalk » November 11th, 2008, 10:11 am

With dogs at the shelter I use high value treats as bait to walk right beside me. When Scooter was a pup, I started him on a harness and then worked up to a flat collar.
airwalk
I live here

Postby katiek0417 » November 11th, 2008, 1:26 pm

Oh...and I forgot to mention...for real young (i.e., short) puppies, go to Home Depot and get those wooden paint sticks...or metal yard sticks (but shorter than a yard stick - like half)...put something yummy on it (like peanut butter - well, I wouldn't use that b/c I don't want to die) or canned food, or baby food, or cream cheese (you get the point)...and put the end with the food in a baggie...then freeze it...you can use that so you don't have to bend down...

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby TheRedQueen » November 11th, 2008, 1:36 pm

I use the clicker to reinforce staying with me...along with never allowing the puppy to pull me...even from day one....not even a little step to go sniff something. I stand my ground, so they learn that pulling doesn't get them anywhere...paying attention to me, and a slack lead get them somewhere. :)
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen

Postby airwalk » November 11th, 2008, 1:43 pm

katiek0417 wrote:Oh...and I forgot to mention...for real young (i.e., short) puppies, go to Home Depot and get those wooden paint sticks...or metal yard sticks (but shorter than a yard stick - like half)...put something yummy on it (like peanut butter - well, I wouldn't use that b/c I don't want to die) or canned food, or baby food, or cream cheese (you get the point)...and put the end with the food in a baggie...then freeze it...you can use that so you don't have to bend down...

that's a great idea..it will save me from walking like a really big, out of shape duck
airwalk
I live here

Postby TheRedQueen » November 11th, 2008, 1:46 pm

katiek0417 wrote:Oh...and I forgot to mention...for real young (i.e., short) puppies, go to Home Depot and get those wooden paint sticks...or metal yard sticks (but shorter than a yard stick - like half)...put something yummy on it (like peanut butter - well, I wouldn't use that b/c I don't want to die) or canned food, or baby food, or cream cheese (you get the point)...and put the end with the food in a baggie...then freeze it...you can use that so you don't have to bend down...

Yup, we have dowel rods in class...just for the puppies. I cover the ends in painter's tape, so the food can go on that, rather than the stick...peel it off when you're done. It also gives a nice color coded target to the end. ;)

TheRedQueen

Next

Return to Training & Behavior