Tips or things youve done?

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby ma67cpe » November 2nd, 2008, 2:01 pm

I just want to get my puppy to stop jumping on people and nipping at them when he gets excited. He is being 100% friendly but when he gets bigger Im dont want him to accidentally hurt somebody buy just trying to play. thanks in advance for any advice
ma67cpe
Just Whelped

Postby BullyLady » November 2nd, 2008, 2:13 pm

We have a huge jumping problem with my 11 month old puppy as well. It's a REALLY hard one to break, because if you reach down to correct them by pushing their butt to the ground or anything you are rewarding the jumping behavior. And for some dogs, including mine, even talking to them rewards the jumping behavior. :rolleyes2: What we have taken to doing is kneeing her in the solar plexus when she jumps. She will continue to jump until we knee her a few times, but the jumping definately stops sooner than when we weren't kneeing her. It's a slow process, but this is what our trainer recommended, and so far it's the only thing that has worked even a little bit. :|
"I'm not all bad but I'm a faithful sinner."
~Dave Matthews
Cathleen
Shelby - AB Mix 1 yr - CGC
BullyLady
Proud Uber Nerd

Postby mnp13 » November 2nd, 2008, 2:24 pm

What about keeping a drag line on him and stepping on it?
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby BullyLady » November 2nd, 2008, 3:19 pm

mnp13 wrote:What about keeping a drag line on him and stepping on it?

Oh, that's a good one too! Well, as long as your dog doesn't continue to try to jump and pull your foot out from under you so that you end up on the floor. :oops: :rolleyes2:
"I'm not all bad but I'm a faithful sinner."
~Dave Matthews
Cathleen
Shelby - AB Mix 1 yr - CGC
BullyLady
Proud Uber Nerd

Postby katiek0417 » November 2nd, 2008, 3:30 pm

Have you tried teaching the dog to sit for a treat when he greets people...and if he tries to jump, the person turns around to take attention AWAY from him?
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby airwalk » November 2nd, 2008, 8:07 pm

I've always had good success with my personal dogs by simply crossing my arms and turning my back to them whenever they jump up...the minute all four are on the ground for a couple of seconds, then I heap praise - if they jump up again, simply cross your arms and turn. It sometimes takes a bit depending on how hard headed the pup is

At the shelter we use that and a modified version. We put them on a leash and take them outside and hook them to a fence. That way we can control our ability to move away from them. We walk in towards them the minute they begin jumping, we turn around and pay absolutely no attention...as soon as four are on the ground for a second or two, we move in and heap praise, if they jump again we turn around and move just out of reach (it saves the back being scratched to crapola) and lather, rinse and repeat.
airwalk
I live here

Postby Hundilein » November 2nd, 2008, 8:27 pm

katiek0417 wrote:Have you tried teaching the dog to sit for a treat when he greets people...and if he tries to jump, the person turns around to take attention AWAY from him?

This is what I've always done. It's almost a reflex now for me to turn away from a jumping dog :D Being a clicker trainer, I also like to just let the dog figure it out on his own, rather than cuing anything, but I do think that cuing a sit can sometimes be helpful.

airwalk wrote:At the shelter we use that and a modified version. We put them on a leash and take them outside and hook them to a fence. That way we can control our ability to move away from them. We walk in towards them the minute they begin jumping, we turn around and pay absolutely no attention...as soon as four are on the ground for a second or two, we move in and heap praise, if they jump again we turn around and move just out of reach (it saves the back being scratched to crapola) and lather, rinse and repeat.

I've used this one too. Some dogs get "leash-wise" and figure out that they can jump if they are not on leash, but attaching them to something can give you a head start.

Personally, I don't like to use the kneeing method, because I worry that the dog may associate the unpleasantness with meeting new people. Of course, having a dog with major fear issues makes me especially careful about stuff like that. I also like to show the dog what I DO like rather than just what I DON'T like.
Sarah and Renee - aka wild child
Hundilein
Loyally Bully

Return to Training & Behavior