whining more than usual

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby Jenn » April 25th, 2006, 3:17 pm

Do you talk to him when he whines, or make a big issue of it? You could quite possibly be encouraging it??

I know!! :oops: Benjamin is a talker/whiner/howler you name it! Before Maddie came along, and before I knew better I'd talk to Ben all the time. NOW I'm trying to encourage with all I have, quiet behavior. It's my fault and I know, but I'd just like to warn you. He doesn't whine due to excitement or stress he whines to get your attention, he whines while he's eating, he whines during play, he talks to you when you ask him to sit, he talks to you when you talk to him. Just about everyone loves it and finds his constant whines, and woo woo woos so endearing. I find them annoying. :oops: I'm in no way dismissing the previous posts, just suggesting you watch encouraging it or drawing too much attention to the behavior.
Jenn
undecided

Postby SisMorphine » April 25th, 2006, 3:18 pm

Halo is being extra whiny right now too.

But I know it's because A) He hasn't been exercised because my hip has been acting up horribly and I haven't been able to walk all week and B) He's a shepherd :P

I wonder if he may just be going through some sort of behavioral stage? I dunno . . .
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby rockermom » April 26th, 2006, 8:05 am

msvette2u wrote:Has he been wormed lately? Maybe he DOES have a tummyache??

Wormed? should he be?
he is Pooping normal. But when he has to go he has to go! Of course it is green (from the grass). Its not the grass eating I was worried about. It is the clumps that form when you cut wet grass. I was told it could cause blockage.
I found yesterday, if I knew he did not need to go out and I am too busy to let him out, since our temp fence is down to grow grass back, he is on a trolly and I watch him closely since other dogs have been seen. When he whines and howels, I ignore him and he will grown and lay down go to sleep.
Today one of my kids is off from school and Rocky is not whiney he is sleeping in his crate door open, as he would normally do at this time of day.
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby rockermom » April 26th, 2006, 8:10 am

Sis- I was thinking it was a behavioral stage since Rocky has gone through stages for almost every month. So I am going to take Jennkbm advice and ignore him. As well as all the exercise advice. Hope it passes.
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Previous

Return to Training & Behavior