whining more than usual

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby rockermom » April 24th, 2006, 12:55 pm

Rocky has been very whiney lately. I wish I knew what was wrong. Ever since my mom came to visit on Thursday he started when we went out I put him in the crate I could hear him yelping as I drove away. Last night my husband was trying to read. Every time he put the book in front of his face Rocky would howel. Then when time for bed (crated) he started yelping and whining. Very unusual at bed time. Today he is following me all over the house. Laying by my side and making a quiet whine. He never follows me around. My 16 year old son was away all weekend. Could that have bothered Rocky? He does not seem to be clinging to him. Maybe it is just the rainy days. He likes to lay in the sun all day. I think he does not know what to do with himself. Sun SA. Poor lazy boy.
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby Romanwild » April 24th, 2006, 2:44 pm

I always over simplify but it sounds like he needs a healthy dose of exercise. Real exercise.

How old is he?
Romanwild
I live here

Postby Maryellen » April 24th, 2006, 2:52 pm

i think exercise too.. he was very whiney saturday too, and he might be stressed with your mom visiting, and your son away, and he could very well be a little bored, and need more exercise then normal...
Maryellen
I live here

Postby mnp13 » April 24th, 2006, 2:58 pm

Some dogs really don't like changes in routine. I agree - extra exercise will help.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby rockermom » April 24th, 2006, 3:01 pm

Hmmm My yard is soaked. I just took him for a walk. We have class tonight. Any recomendations for exercise on wet days?
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby rockermom » April 24th, 2006, 3:04 pm

[quote="Maryellen"] he was very whiney saturday too[quote]

Yeah he was whiney on Sat. However he does that in class when he has to be in a down and not doing anything.
At home he lays down all damb day. No whining
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby Maryellen » April 24th, 2006, 5:17 pm

maybe take him for a long jog around the block?? he is still a puppy, and needs alot of exercise, he isnot a slug like rufus, so i would say more exercise for him.. how about building him a springpole inthe backyard?
Maryellen
I live here

Postby Patch O' Pits » April 24th, 2006, 6:39 pm

Play in the mud.... just keep some big towels at the door to clean up before you come inside :|
Patch O' Pits Pursuit-O-Perfection

Run Hard at the Rainbow Bridge My Angel Sock-M! I Love You Baby Girl! Now that your Mom Starlit is up there too, please help her learn the ropes, love and keep her company until I can see you both again. Starlit I love you!
http://i14.tinypic.com/2a8q345.jpg
Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Postby rockermom » April 25th, 2006, 8:07 am

springpole? what is that? Is it an agility thing? He likes the tunnel maybe I should get one of those since they fold up.
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby Maryellen » April 25th, 2006, 8:17 am

a springpole is a pole that is tall, and has springs for the dogs to hang off a cloth or toy.... i think there are some posted in the gallery... let me check
Maryellen
I live here

Postby Malli » April 25th, 2006, 1:00 pm

Maybe check him over and make sure he is not sore? Just to make sure it isn't medical

exercise is the best cure for problem behaviors

Malli
Malli
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby rockermom » April 25th, 2006, 2:02 pm

Oh, wonder what the neighbors would think of Rocky hanging from a springpole.
Last night I went to my sons baseball game. My husband was mowing the wet lawn since it was a complete jungle with this rainy weather. Seems Rocky cried and whined the whole time I was gone. Came home to him like a crazy loon sniffing the air as though the fresh cut grass was getting him stoned. Went to training where he whined some more but once we got going he was actually doing well. Then this morning he was jonesing for getting out to the fresh cut grass. Looking for grass clumps to eat. Which I understand is not a good thing. I took him for a good walk this morning went out for a few hours came back took him for a walk met friends for lunch he sat near the table while we ate. Walked real nice loose leash walk. Seemed overly behaved. got home and inside and he runs to every door crying again. He is quiet now laying under the chair where I am at the computer. He is just acting weird. Maybe its a pre teen thing? He is going to be just about 10 months I believe.
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby Gatsu » April 25th, 2006, 2:11 pm

now heres my dilemmea i live in a town house (sides are attached) and my back yard ia like 12' by 10'.

so i cant exactly build one in the back hard (no grass just cement) i do have a courtyard in front of my house but the land is the condos so i cant permantly build anything that'll stay there. They also cut any "low" branches off the trees. so to get to any branch thats strong enough i need a 20' ladder(everytime i'd put it up) which i dont have.

any suggestions??
------------------

www.jh-training.ca

Jon
Gatsu
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby rockermom » April 25th, 2006, 2:27 pm

I would be interested since I cant be out in the yard the amount of hours Rocky would like me to be out there with him. Stay at home mom is good for them but it also has its downfall.
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby Maryellen » April 25th, 2006, 2:37 pm

is he going to the bathroom normally? pooping fine? maybe he has an upset stomach and has gas..

he also probably needs more exercise to keep him calm.. the more exercise you give him the more he will expend his energy in exercise...
Maryellen
I live here

Postby msvette2u » April 25th, 2006, 2:46 pm

It sounds as if he wants to hang out outside and not be indoors. A few of mine are like that. Would rather be out playing or laying in the sun.
Dogs eating grass isn't the worst thing. I asked our vet once when I had Pepper, since Pepper acted like she was a COW or something, and ate grass all the time. The vet said some dogs just like the taste of it!!
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby Maryellen » April 25th, 2006, 3:01 pm

i have 4 cows at home right now...they love the grass. but they dont like fresh cut grass..

whining is usually a sign of exciteness or stress
Maryellen
I live here

Postby msvette2u » April 25th, 2006, 3:13 pm

Our Yaeger kind of whine/groans when he's bored :|
msvette2u
I live here

Postby msvette2u » April 25th, 2006, 3:14 pm

Has he been wormed lately? Maybe he DOES have a tummyache??
msvette2u
I live here

Next

Return to Training & Behavior