Erin's Service Dog in Training diary...

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby pitbullmamaliz » January 25th, 2009, 10:35 am

I changed the title of this thread. I'm really intrigued by SD training, so now you can update it about any of your dogs and what's going on with them. :)
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby TheRedQueen » January 25th, 2009, 10:59 am

Hundilein wrote:Woohoo! I can't wait to hear all about Denver. He was so good at my house as a puppy (and so horrible at Erin's...wonder what was up with that?) He reminded me a little bit of a little lost kid on the playground though. Something about his eyes made him look kind of sad. I can't wait to see what he's matured into.

A big fella...and a bit of a brat, apparently. They think it'll be good if he comes back here, as he's a bit of a bully too. Since he knows my guys, they think he'll get his ass kicked appropriately...as do I.

I want him because I want to train another SD, not a HD. :)

I changed the title of this thread. I'm really intrigued by SD training, so now you can update it about any of your dogs and what's going on with them. :)

Thanks Liz! :wave2:
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby TheRedQueen » March 9th, 2009, 10:13 am

Soon! Soon there will be another SDiT here! Denver comes back from Prison on the 21st...and I'll be getting him later in the week (I'm at a flyball tourney that weekend).

I'm very excited to be getting Denver...I had him here as a itty-bitty puppy (well, he was never really that small!)...and I loved him then. I picked him up with his buddy, Patti, from the flyball tournament in S. VA this time last year...both are coming home on the 21st to start the next phase of their career. Patti to be a Hearing Dog, and Denver to be a Service Dog. Yippee!

Stay tuned!
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen

Postby Hundilein » March 9th, 2009, 10:20 am

I can't wait to see updated pictures of Denver! I had him here overnight as a puppy before dropping him off with a fellow flyballer for the trip up to meet Erin. He was such a sweetie here. I hope he does well for you.
Sarah and Renee - aka wild child
Hundilein
Loyally Bully

Postby TheRedQueen » March 23rd, 2009, 10:51 am

I'm picking up Denver tonight...so I'll be updating soon!

TheRedQueen

Postby TheRedQueen » March 23rd, 2009, 9:38 pm

Denver is here...and so far, so good! :) He's coming from months in the prison program...and I got a lot of updates from the inmates that were in charge of him (which is lovely). He's really good with the cats and the dogs too. He's really fat though! We'll be working on that! 8)

TheRedQueen

Postby Hundilein » March 23rd, 2009, 9:52 pm

I'm glad to hear he's doing well so far. And it's great that you got lots of info from the inmates this time. You'll have him looking slim and trim in no time, I'm sure. I can't wait to see updated pictures.
Hundilein
Loyally Bully

Postby TheRedQueen » March 23rd, 2009, 10:08 pm

I'm charging the camera battery tonight...so hopefully it'll be nice outside tomorrow for pics.

He's much smaller than I thought he'd be. He's only as tall as the Aussies...and looks to be shorter than Score. Thicker in the legs and such...but his head is small. Big thick tail. But much smaller than I anticipated! Mutts are so much fun! lol

It was cute...I think he remembered everyone. They said that he postures with new dogs...but with the gang here, he just walked in and immediately gave submissive gestures (crouching down low, licking lips, head low, tail wagging happily).

TheRedQueen

Postby Jenn » March 23rd, 2009, 10:57 pm

Looking forward to the photos!
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby TheRedQueen » March 31st, 2009, 11:30 am

Alright...Denver's been here a week...so time to write about him a bit.

I am in love with this dog. :D He's awesome...just what a SD should be. He's calm and laid-back, but willing to work. He settles in the house, ignores the cats and bunnies (caged), and gets along with the other dogs. He doesn't need a lot of revving...he works easily without a lot of cheerleading. :)

His retrieve is nice...he loves to carry stuff around...whapping his tail against his sides as he parades around the house. He picked up a steel wool pad this morning and was carrying it around. :shock: He'll pick up anything.

He is very sturdy, and should be able to a stand n' brace quite easily if needed.

His tug is so-so...wo we'll be working more on that. He's got a very soft mouth...and right now he's not biting down enough to tug the fridge or doors open.

His public access work is impeccable...he just walks along quietly next to me, doesn't sniff around, doesn't get excited when people are screeching or cooing at him. Even on Sunday afternoon at Wal-mart, he just ignored everyone and worked with me.

He does get miffed with dogs in his face...and got very upset at a golden on Saturday at training who lunged to say hi (idiot golden). He likes dogs, but he doesn't like RUDE dogs. Same with my gang...so he fits in well.

He reminds me of Sawyer with the public access work...nothing fazes him. I love it. :mrgreen:

just a brief overview of what I've seen so far...I'll put more details in about various outings as we go along. :)

TheRedQueen

Postby TheRedQueen » March 31st, 2009, 11:50 am

Pics of Denver!

Rockin' his awesome ears...

BIG smiles

Playing with the annoying puppy...

Oh yeah, and Denver is fat. 68# coming out of the prison...and they said he was a picky eater. :bs: How do you get a picky eater to be that fat on only dry dog food? :| I can feel no ribs...and he has NO waist. We're down three pounds in a week...yea!

TheRedQueen

Postby Hundilein » March 31st, 2009, 11:57 am

Awww...I was wondering what his ears would do when he grew up. He looks much less like a little lost kid on the playground now. I'm glad to hear he's doing well so far.
Hundilein
Loyally Bully

Postby SisMorphine » March 31st, 2009, 12:00 pm

I think 90% of the dogs who my clients claim are "picky" and who "rarely eat" are very over weight. Uhhhh . . . you're feeding them too much, there, guys ;)

He's a cutie patootie!
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby TheRedQueen » March 31st, 2009, 12:04 pm

4 cups a day...of puppy food.

Of course no one else thinks he's that fat. Well, the entire flyball team was calling him fatty on Friday night at practice...but everyone else says..."well, it's not too bad". Dude, if the dog can't jump up without getting winded...that's too fat! :rolleyes2:

And Sarah...this one's gonna make it. Easily. ;) He's awesome.

TheRedQueen

Postby TheRedQueen » May 4th, 2009, 10:16 pm

update on Denver...there's a client that will probably be getting him. He's worked with him for the past two weeks, and really likes this guy. Denver is really comfortable around his power chair. :D I've been working him next to John's second scooter.

However, his retrieve is still so-so...I posted on Sawyer's blog about it...so I won't type it all out again. I can't match him with a client until he's ready though...and with his iffy skills, it's gonna be at least a few months. He's young though...so he's got time. I just have an eager client breathing down my neck! lol

http://servicedogsawyer.blogspot.com/20 ... enver.html

TheRedQueen

Postby TheRedQueen » December 2nd, 2009, 9:39 am

I realized that I never updated this thread on Denver.

He went to another trainer to work on his retrieve, as I didn't have time to focus on that so much. He's retrieving like a fiend, and will pick up anything. He's about to be matched with a client...who loves him a lot. Not the same client, but someone in a power chair, someone who knows what they're doing, as this'll be his second dog matching. 8)

Now I have Dove...the little field spaniel that was here as a puppy. We've got some issues...she is terribly fearful of everything. EVERYTHING. (everyone tells me that she's just got to "chill" for two weeks or so...just like a foster dog) :nono: She growls at strangers, is aloof with people she knows (I'm fine with that actually), she jumps at noises. But we'll give her time, and see how it goes. She's really fat of course...the prison makes them huge. She does have lovely house manners, and is easy to live with.

No pics, as they gave her a HORRIBLE haircut at the vet before she came home...(she's supposed to go the breeder/groomer for grooming/stripping). Now she's shaved to the skin and looks like a mangy cocker spaniel. :x

She's also got horrendous dog-dog skills...she immediately growls/snaps at every strange dog she meets. This is what I'm seeing...a really fearful dog that goes on the offensive before someone hurts her. This is what they saw at the prison:

I have three notes on her dog-dog interactions and play skills:
"Dove is the alpha of our pack"
"Dove is very "protective" of her "Ducky" (her toy that came with her)
"Allie and Dove started to play tug without our intervention"

And no one thought to write more about these behaviors in the 6 months+ that she was there?

:mad2:
Anyway...we'll see how she does at class tonight...her old puppy raiser is coming in to handle her tonight.

TheRedQueen

Postby Hundilein » December 2nd, 2009, 9:46 am

Yay for Denver! That is awesome! (He is one of "our" dogs, so I am especially excited about him. I'll have to update his former foster mom, she could use some good news right now.)

That sucks about Dove. Sounds a lot like Hannah, except not quite as bad with people and much worse with dogs. Hopefully you can get her turned around and on the right track again.
Hundilein
Loyally Bully

Postby TheRedQueen » December 2nd, 2009, 9:54 am

And Sarah...Moxie is matched, you knew that right? With my friend Diane...she didn't want such a little dog, but I kept telling her..."you'll like this one!" Now she adores her...and I say "told ya so!" every time I see her. Maya is also matched...working as a in-home companion dog. :D

Moxie's mom sent a donation to the rescue in Moxie's name... :mrgreen:

TheRedQueen

Postby Hundilein » December 2nd, 2009, 10:02 am

TheRedQueen wrote:And Sarah...Moxie is matched, you knew that right? With my friend Diane...she didn't want such a little dog, but I kept telling her..."you'll like this one!" Now she adores her...and I say "told ya so!" every time I see her. Maya is also matched...working as a in-home companion dog. :D

Moxie's mom sent a donation to the rescue in Moxie's name... :mrgreen:

Yup, you told me all that. And I got an email from the rescue about the donation, we were all so excited that she's working out so well.
Hundilein
Loyally Bully

Postby TheRedQueen » December 16th, 2009, 1:26 am

Good news all around...Denver is about to be matched...he'll be getting his very own human to work for! 8) Also, good news about Miss Alice (anyone remember that long-legged girl named Alice?)...coming soon.

Dove on the other hand, not so much. I haven't updated, because she's been going very, very slow in her training. She'll be headed to another trainer for the holidays, as she's too snappy with all the dogs around here...and with so many extras, she won't be able to cope. Poor shy girly.

TheRedQueen

PreviousNext

Return to Training & Behavior