Erin's Service Dog in Training diary...

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby TheRedQueen » September 7th, 2008, 6:51 pm

She's not a pit, she's a brown dog...but since she was "Score's replacement"...she's an honorary pit, right? Summer is my newest Service Dog in Training for Fidos For Freedom. She's from a rescue in NC, that Sarah (Hundelein...sp?) works with. Summer has been at prison (Federal prison in Cumberland, MD) for the past year, and she's with me now for the second stage of her training. She's got good skills, but doesn't know much of the world...as she entered prison at 4 mo. old. :nono: and has been there since.

She's clicker savvy, and is a good girl so far. She's getting along with the other dogs, but wants to eat the cats. She wanted to eat rats too, but called off easily (so far). The rabbits got a bit of interest this morning, but again, called off easily. I'll have to set up some good "meet n' greets" where I have everyone under control.

She's done some public access work with me...picking up my Bridesmaid dress at David's Bridal, going through Big Lots and K-mart...and to the grocery store. Quick trips, nothing major...lots of c/t for good attention and behavior. Nothing spooks her too bad...she recovers quickly. She likes to carry stuff in her mouth...and tried to take a stuffed toy off the shelves today. lol I may have to find something for her to carry while we're out, to keep her occupied at times.

I'm gonna keep posting updates, since I know Sarah is interested...and since we have other SD users and trainers on the board, I figure it might be fun to keep a log of what she's working on. I'll have pics sometime soon...
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby pitbullmamaliz » September 7th, 2008, 6:54 pm

Oh this will be interesting!
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby TheRedQueen » September 7th, 2008, 7:13 pm

Some pics of Summer...until I get some of mine up. :)

http://www.fidosforfreedom.org/assist-d ... summer.php

Summer was with me a few weeks when she first arrived in the program...it's fun to see how she grew up. Much more houndy looking in the "adult" pics on the website, but not so much in person. Very shepherd-y/lab-y it seems to me. Not houndy IRL. ;)
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen

Postby Hundilein » September 7th, 2008, 8:12 pm

Thank you, thank you, thank you for posting this, Erin!!!! Everyone at CPS will be so happy to be able to read about Summer's progress. I'm so excited that our first puppies are starting in on their "big girl" training :) I remember the trip up there to bring her to you. I really hope she continues to do well.
Sarah and Renee - aka wild child
Hundilein
Loyally Bully

Postby madremissy » September 7th, 2008, 8:31 pm

I think she is cute. I would love to follow this also. I have always been interested in this.
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby pitbullmamaliz » September 7th, 2008, 8:34 pm

I made this a sticky, so you now you HAVE to do a log of her training. :)
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby Hundilein » September 7th, 2008, 8:55 pm

pitbullmamaliz wrote:I made this a sticky, so you now you HAVE to do a log of her training. :)

Thanks Liz!
Hundilein
Loyally Bully

Postby TheRedQueen » September 7th, 2008, 9:43 pm

pitbullmamaliz wrote:I made this a sticky, so you now you HAVE to do a log of her training. :)

Sweeeet!

That'll help keep me utd on her progress too! ;)

TheRedQueen

Postby TheRedQueen » September 9th, 2008, 12:43 pm

Well Summer had a bad day yesterday...I was ready to strangle her. :D

I let her out of her crate yesterday evening, to go potty and get in the car to head to Fidos. She came out crazy...(she'd been in there around 5 hours max). She was happy to see me...and we went out to the grass for her to potty. She just jumped around and was generally exuberant. I was running late, so I tried all of the potty commands I know that FFF uses. Nothing. She just jumped around, checking everything out. I told her sternly, and she got into heel position. Not helpful.

So she went to FFF in the car with no crate pad...as I didn't want her to pee in her crate. (I don't know her well enough yet to know if she can hold it or not.

Got to FFF, walked her to the potty area...pee'd immediately. :cuss:

Once inside, she just wanted to play and see everyone. Jenn (Fenella) and I had stuff to discuss for puppy class...so we sat down to go through stuff. I put Summer in a down and told her to wait. She waited about 20 seconds and got up. Repeat this numerous times.

I finally got up and put her in a crate in the back room, so I didn't have to deal with her and the puppy class stuff at the same time. Ugh.

Went to the trainer's meeting. 2 hours of dealing with her popping up from downs, trying to crawl to eat the toy poodle under the other table, whining, rolling around on her back, crawling to sniff the BC next to us. I was trying to be patient..."yes" and treat for quiet and calm...but it was hard. I was ready to kill her. :nono: Annoying little twit.

Over a year at the prison, and she can't lay calmly for more than 30 seconds? Seriously? I know it's a different environment...but come ON already! :rolleyes2: Can't potty on leash/on command? :rolleyes2: Honestly...what do they do up there?

TheRedQueen

Postby amazincc » September 9th, 2008, 1:10 pm

Give the girl a break... she just got out of prison! :shock: :wink:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby TheRedQueen » September 9th, 2008, 1:38 pm

amazincc wrote:Give the girl a break... she just got out of prison! :shock: :wink:

Yeah, and she was there entirely too long...(a point of contention with me and the trainers).

I've had other prison dogs, and they usually do their behaviors and skills well...life experiences are a whole 'nother issue.

I'm more annoyed that her info hasn't gotten to me yet...what is her elimination command, how long can she hold a down, etc.

The past two days she's gotten on my last nerve...today she picked a couple of fights with Inara over toys, she steals toys from Score, she wants to eat the cat and the rats. So she's sitting in her crate more than I'd like.

:rolleyes2:

TheRedQueen

Postby Hundilein » September 9th, 2008, 2:48 pm

I'm sorry she had such a bad day. She's at least not as bad as Lilly, is she? I know you'll get her whipped into shape in no time, but I totally understand the frustration right now (I really do...I have two 6 month old puppies at my house right now...long story, I'll tell it somewhere else later).
Hundilein
Loyally Bully

Postby TheRedQueen » September 9th, 2008, 3:10 pm

Hundilein wrote:I'm sorry she had such a bad day. She's at least not as bad as Lilly, is she? I know you'll get her whipped into shape in no time, but I totally understand the frustration right now (I really do...I have two 6 month old puppies at my house right now...long story, I'll tell it somewhere else later).

Nope...nowhere near as bad as Lilly! (or Maya). She's doing well, just had a bad day yesterday. And normally I wouldn't have taken her to the meeting last night, but I know the other trainers wanted to meet her. I would have left her in the kennel room at FFF, but she was barking like an idiot in the crate. I don't want to let that behavior continue (the first home she was in from prison...they reported that she never shut up in her crate. So far she's been quiet at my house).

They tell me that Lilly is shaping up just fine...we'll see. I still have doubts.

TheRedQueen

Postby TheRedQueen » September 10th, 2008, 1:45 pm

A good day! (so far)

Went to a client's house...where Summer got to wrestle with a puppy...good times. She was on a long line, which dropped out of my hand as I was doing something else (duh) :doh: She took off running into the next yard. She stopped on my call...turned and came back to me. Yea!

She was very good with the puppy...telling him off properly (hey, don't hump me!) and being a good girl.

We then all went for a walk in the neighborhood...Score, Summer and puppy. (short walk). She got a bit agitated at the boxer in the electric fence, but kept walking. We had a lovely walk...and she was on her martingale only. :confetti:

Good girl. :D

TheRedQueen

Postby Jenn » September 10th, 2008, 10:02 pm

Yay for a good day :)
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby fenella » September 11th, 2008, 12:09 am

Summer is a lovely dog. Murphy sends his love...for those of you who don't know, I help Erin at Fidos. I think that Murphy has a crush on Summer. :loveU:
fenella
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby TheRedQueen » September 11th, 2008, 12:59 am

fenella wrote:Summer is a lovely dog. Murphy sends his love...for those of you who don't know, I help Erin at Fidos. I think that Murphy has a crush on Summer. :loveU:

And I think Summer has a crush on Murphy...:heartbeat: She plays best with him!

Summer had a good night tonight...she worked with me in a wheelchair tonight. (manual chair...my arms are gonna hurt tomorrow!) She wasn't upset by the wheels, got out of the way, did a nice "back" on cue so I could fit through a tight area, and got in heel position, despite me sitting in the wheelchair. Also, she picked up my clicker when I dropped it (it's hard to get to things when you're in a wheelchair!).

Very, very nice day/evening. I'm very proud of her.

She got her red cape/vest tonight, because I am confident she can do this. This means she can really start her public access work. 8) Get out of our way...we're going shopping!

TheRedQueen

Postby Hundilein » September 11th, 2008, 9:22 am

woohoo! I am soooooo unbelievably happy to hear this! I hope she'll be the first of many (well, at least 5) of "our" dogs that does well for you. Thanks for the updates...keep 'em coming! (you know, in between your shopping trips)
Hundilein
Loyally Bully

Postby TheRedQueen » September 11th, 2008, 7:15 pm

Had a play date tonight, with a dog-reactive dog. He's really bad on leash...lunging/snarling/etc. So I invited him over to play in our yard tonight...and meet the gang.

He and Summer hit it off, they're roughly the same size/shape (he's a rottie X). Wrestling, chasing, etc.

They got into a couple of scuffles, as they both wanted the same Cuz toy...but nothing that a loud "HEY!" didn't fix. I was very proud of both of them. The rest of the gang was just hanging out being Aussies. (Score too)

Summer is proving to be very adaptable to new things, including new dogs. Sarah, you did a nice job testing her...as she's really gonna be bomb-proof!

TheRedQueen

Postby Hundilein » September 11th, 2008, 9:27 pm

Yay! I'm really glad to hear she's doing well. I really liked her as a puppy, if I remember correctly.
Hundilein
Loyally Bully

Next

Return to Training & Behavior