Contacted Supportdogs

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby Robin B » September 2nd, 2008, 7:14 am

I tepephoned supportdogs to get an application form so they can work with me so we can train Gerda to be a supportdog.

I fit the criteria as I am a wheelchair user.

supportdogs are a charity and organisation that help train people to work with their dog in there own home to be supportdogs.

Ok it's taken me a bit of time to get to the 1st stage of getting myself to this stage,but, now contact has been made & all I have to do nw is wait for the pplication pack to arrive fill this in, wait for the application to be processed and if this is aproved to be allcocated some-one to work with myself and Gerda.

I know this may take some time and there must be a lot of people wanting the dogs that share their homes/lives to be trained to be a supportdog.

but as I said this is a step I feel in the right direction for both of us.
Robin B
Confident Young Bully

Postby madremissy » September 2nd, 2008, 8:43 am

That is great news Robin, I am sure things will go great.
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby Robin B » September 2nd, 2008, 11:57 am

madremissy Thank you :)
Robin B
Confident Young Bully

Postby pitbullmamaliz » September 2nd, 2008, 5:13 pm

Good luck!!! Keep us updated. :)
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby katiek0417 » September 2nd, 2008, 6:14 pm

Very cool! Let us know your and her progress!
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby hey21jude » September 2nd, 2008, 6:34 pm

Congrats Robin! :mrgreen:
Save the Pit Bull... Save the World.
hey21jude
Confident Young Bully

Postby Robin B » September 2nd, 2008, 8:30 pm

Thanks pitbullmamaliz, katiek0417, hey21jude & every-one, I will keep you all updated on what happening and how the pallication goes.

Fingers crossed I will be acepted onto Supportdogs and Myself and Gerda will have some-one trainign me and helping me to work with Gerda so she can become an offical support dog.

I will also post what this involves and the process & progress is here.

I have a feeling in my gut that Gerda will love this....or ccould that be my gut feeling that I will love working with Gerda in a way that is best for both her and myself and that we will have a stronger and better bond than we do alread.

Ops I better shut up now as it's late and when I'm tired I am in danger of typeing loads and then it turns into a load of twoddel(rubbish/trash) :oops:
Robin B
Confident Young Bully

Postby airwalk » September 2nd, 2008, 10:21 pm

Great news Robin! Keeping my fingers crossed you are accepted quickly.
airwalk
I live here

Postby Beth » September 2nd, 2008, 10:23 pm

Oh, Robin! That is fantastic. I wish you all the best and a speedy acceptance into the program.
Mom to
Blaze 3/17/93 - 3/30/07
Onyx b 3/7/99
Duchess b 3/12/02 r 9/18/02
Rifle b 12/1/02 r 8/8/03
Diamond b 5/3/05 a 8/3/05
Luka r 5/16/07
Dixie b 10/20/06 a 4/1/08
Beth
Enlightened Bully

Postby Robin B » September 3rd, 2008, 5:13 am

thank you airwalk & thank you Beth
Robin B
Confident Young Bully

Postby Hundilein » September 3rd, 2008, 11:44 am

Sounds like a great opportunity. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress!
Sarah and Renee - aka wild child
Hundilein
Loyally Bully

Postby SvcDogSawyer » September 3rd, 2008, 4:45 pm

I'm glad you took that step. It will only get better for you & Gerda.

One suggestion I would make is, while you are waiting for the application and approval start writing down things that you want Gerda to be able to help you with and the places you go and where you would like to go. Even if it's something you don't think Gerda will be able to do, write it down. Also think of things that you can do now that you may not be able to do in the future. And don't get too stressed about missing something, because by the time the trainer is done with you and Gerda you will have the skills and knowledge to train those things yourself.

It's a good way to keep your mind occupied while waiting and it will give you a head start with the training/trainer.

One more thing, when you start with Support Dogs try to stay relaxed in your training and don't worry if you and Gerda don't do something right the first time.
John & Sawyer

"Damn Walkies"
SvcDogSawyer
Not Patrick's Nipple

Postby Robin B » September 3rd, 2008, 7:48 pm

thanks Hundilein I will keep posting on how things are going, when i get the application form and what the outcome of this is.

Thanks SvcDogSawyer for your reply & good wishes also for the very helpful and informative sugesstions and way to start planning for things like writing this down. this will help me both think about things before hand & also to have the basics or kind of a basic idea/possible plan.
thank you for saying ' One more thing, when you start with Support Dogs try to stay relaxed in your training and don't worry if you and Gerda don't do something right the first time.'

Yes I feel that things can only get better for Gerda any myself when we are doing this kind of traning.
Robin B
Confident Young Bully

Postby Robin B » September 5th, 2008, 11:49 am

I thought I would post to say I got some information from support dogs and the form to ask for an information pack and application form.

I will post/mail this to them on Monday coz I can't get out the house at moment as called GP out as had a horrid night and day with vomiting and having to go to the loo. I have either some bug or food poisoning :( Hence why i will have to post this on Monday.
Robin B
Confident Young Bully

Postby aophoto » September 5th, 2008, 12:52 pm

congrats robin, looks like the process is coming right along
"The American people have spoken, and they have spoken clearly." - John McCain

Yes, we did America.
aophoto
Just Whelped

Postby Robin B » September 6th, 2008, 6:45 pm

thank you aophoto
Robin B
Confident Young Bully

Postby Robin B » September 11th, 2008, 1:01 am

I am now just waiting for the official application for to be sent, I will then send it back to supportdogs and wait for there dessission on if gerda will be acepted onto the program.

Please keep fingers and paws crossed on this.

Thanks
Robin B
Confident Young Bully

Postby TheRedQueen » September 11th, 2008, 1:04 am

Good luck!

I hope you get in, as I'm anxious to see the "inner" workings of other groups... :D As well as being excited that you'll get the help you want with Gerda!
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby Robin B » September 17th, 2008, 7:47 pm

Thanks TheRedQueen & all that have replied to this post.
As I said I will let folks know what is happening when I get newas.
still though in the process of filling in the form....I am really bad at forms :oops:
but I will do this.....soon.
Robin B
Confident Young Bully

Return to Training & Behavior