Collar types:

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby katiek0417 » April 10th, 2006, 4:30 pm

houlabulla? wrote:Oh Ive seen her collars and have a few in mind that I was planning to get Rocky for his birthday. I also found a kit to make my own. I just wanted to try a martingale. I have the fabric type whith the chain. Is that the same thing?

There's a mixed debate about this. Sacha has been in a pinch, and reacts to the sound of a chain jingling....so, a martingale with the chain works well on her (I can just jingle the chain, and she "expects" a correction...even without the pinch on).

I have a friend with a huge (89-pound female GSD) who went from a pinch to a nylon martingale. She says it's great, and it works as well as the pinch.

As far as training, I don't know what the difference is (can anyone tell me). I just know why Sacha reacts. I have a really nice Mrs. Bones one for Nisha....it doesn't really give a correction, just tightens (so there's no pain...my trainer is absolutely against pain at her age).

where did you find a "make your own martingale" kit?
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby mnp13 » April 10th, 2006, 4:32 pm

katiek0417 wrote:There's a mixed debate about this. Sacha has been in a pinch, and reacts to the sound of a chain jingling....so, a martingale with the chain works well on her (I can just jingle the chain, and she "expects" a correction...even without the pinch on).

If she is reacting to the chain making noise she is 'collar smart' and that's definately something to fix.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby rockermom » April 10th, 2006, 4:46 pm

Hmm I thought reaction to the chain was what you would want.
At my old training class when I used the martingale with the chain I was constatnly being told to put the collar up behind ears. Is a regular martingale worn that way? How about a prong where should they be on th dogs neck? With such a big darn head and a small neck Its a pain having to adjust it wiggle over his big darn head and tighten up onto his little neck.
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby katiek0417 » April 10th, 2006, 4:48 pm

mnp13 wrote:
katiek0417 wrote:There's a mixed debate about this. Sacha has been in a pinch, and reacts to the sound of a chain jingling....so, a martingale with the chain works well on her (I can just jingle the chain, and she "expects" a correction...even without the pinch on).

If she is reacting to the chain making noise she is 'collar smart' and that's definately something to fix.

Not necessarily...she's not smart to a choke chain...still a chain...but no reaction...

The fact is, I can use the jingle and not have to give a correction....she still gets it....it's a reminder....

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby rockermom » April 10th, 2006, 4:50 pm

Katrina- sent you a pm about the kit.
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby rockermom » April 10th, 2006, 4:52 pm

Hoyden wrote:Martingale/ Limited Slip Collar with a buckle

Do you have your site back up with collars for sale?
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby rockermom » April 10th, 2006, 4:56 pm

Here is what confuses me. I thought martingales were for dogs who's head is smaller than the neck. Well my dogs head is huge compared to his neck so how does it work? And I supose a martingale must be adjustable in order to get it over this type of dogs head. And helpful to have a clasp or buckle. The ones I just got do not have a clasp or buckle which means I have to adjust it every time I pull it off of his head. tHATS A PAIN.
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby katiek0417 » April 10th, 2006, 4:58 pm

houlabulla? wrote:Here is what confuses me. I thought martingales were for dogs who's head is smaller than the neck. Well my dogs head is huge compared to his neck so how does it work? And I supose a martingale must be adjustable in order to get it over this type of dogs head. And helpful to have a clasp or buckle. The ones I just got do not have a clasp or buckle which means I have to adjust it every time I pull it off of his head. tHATS A PAIN.

I don't take the Mrs. Bones one off the puppy I just leave it on....

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby babyreba » April 10th, 2006, 5:20 pm

katiek0417 wrote:
mnp13 wrote:Hoyden makes custom martingales.

And if you want a really nice one...all fabric, go to

http://www.mrsbones.com

Very expensive, but gorgeous...and well worth the price. You can even get them extra wide if you want....

The Mrs. Bones collars rock. I had one for one of my rescue ABs and it was plenty strong for him. I also have one for my old lady Reba now, it's very regal on her!
babyreba
Supremely Bully

Postby Maryellen » April 10th, 2006, 5:23 pm

prong collars are not to be slipped over the dogs head, they are to be opened by the links and put on, then closed by reattaching the links. if the prong turns easily you remove a link.
Maryellen
I live here

Postby dogcrazyjen » April 10th, 2006, 5:50 pm

A martingale with a buckle!

The reason i do not use martingales is I had to cut one off a bull terrier who was tangled with another one, the other's leg got caught in the collar and twisted, and we couldn't tell which way. The dog would have died if someone hadn't had a knife handy and sliced the collar.

But martingale with a buckle? I could go for that.

I found a harness worked wonders with Tess, she had no hair and an infection when we got her, so a harness was what she wore. I trained Positive motivation and clicker and she did great.
dogcrazyjen
Devoutly Bully

Postby pitbullmamaliz » April 10th, 2006, 6:07 pm

I also have trouble keeping Inara's collar up around her ears. Right now she's just wearing a flat collar, but I ordered a martingale with buckle from Hoyden. I'm hoping that maybe it will stay up around her ears better. I hate tightening them too much to make them stay up - I feel guilty. How do I know if my collar is too snug?
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby concreterose » April 10th, 2006, 7:00 pm

What are the benefits of using a martingale vs. a prong?
concreterose
Loyally Bully

Postby Maryellen » April 10th, 2006, 7:02 pm

martingales dont look as mean as prongs do....thats one of the benefits.. the martingale is more like a regular collar per say..
Maryellen
I live here

Postby mnp13 » April 10th, 2006, 9:46 pm

houlabulla? wrote:At my old training class when I used the martingale with the chain I was constatnly being told to put the collar up behind ears. Is a regular martingale worn that way? How about a prong where should they be on th dogs neck? With such a big darn head and a small neck Its a pain having to adjust it wiggle over his big darn head and tighten up onto his little neck.

Any collar that is being used for a correction should be fitted up at the very top of the neck behind the ears.

Prong collars should never be shoved over the dog's head. They should be a little difficult to get on with the links, and should not spin easily on the neck. Use the smallest links that are strong enough for your dog.

Martingales that are being used as 'regular' collars can fit mid neck with no problem. Martingales used for corrections should be right up behind the ears just like a prong.

You should be able to get a finger under the collar if it is fitted correctly.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby rockermom » April 11th, 2006, 10:27 pm

Thank You for clearing the collar stuff up. I like the idea of the buckle on the martingale too.
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby pitbullmamaliz » April 12th, 2006, 9:55 pm

I broke down and bought a prong collar. It had gotten to the point where I HATED taking Inara for walks because she pulled so strongly - I had freakin' blisters. So I bought a prong last night. Before I bought it, I put it on my arm and popped it a few times to reassure myself the prongs weren't needle sharp! The lady at the store was great - she's a dog trainer so was helping me properly fit it and practice in the store. It was amazing - after it was on in the store, I didn't even have to correct at all, Inara just started walking like an angel! And I took her today for her first real walk with it. Ahhhhhh...so much nicer! I had to pop it a few times, which I think hurt me more than her! Her ears went back the first few times I popped, but after that she was great. Because it was so pleasant, we walked longer than usual, and BOTH of us were in much better moods upon our return. She's actually more cuddly now, too. I hated having to do it, but it's such a good difference already! And I do know it's just a temporary tool, until I can teach her to walk nicely w/o the corrections.
pitbullmamaliz

Postby mnp13 » April 12th, 2006, 10:27 pm

Just make sure to put it on a while before you go out and leave it on for a while when you get home. It will help her from becoming collar smart.

Welcome to the dark side :wink:
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby pitbullmamaliz » April 12th, 2006, 10:39 pm

I know! I feel so mean, but now our walks will be longer and we'll both be happier during them.
About how soon should I put it on? I feel weird having it on her just to have it on her...and how long should I leave it on after?
pitbullmamaliz

Postby dogcrazyjen » April 13th, 2006, 9:54 am

Make sure you praise her; I treat when the dog is in heel position looking up at me. Reinforce that good place, to teach her to want to be there, as opposed to having to be there.

Congrats on the nice walks!
dogcrazyjen
Devoutly Bully

PreviousNext

Return to Training & Behavior