Collar types:

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby mnp13 » April 13th, 2006, 10:41 am

pitbullmamaliz wrote:I know! I feel so mean, but now our walks will be longer and we'll both be happier during them.
About how soon should I put it on? I feel weird having it on her just to have it on her...and how long should I leave it on after?

About an hour before and after. Collar = walk creates a collar smart dog.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby pitbullmamaliz » April 15th, 2006, 8:43 am

I can't get the prong to stay up around her ears, but I hesitate to take another link out. How do I know if this is too big, just right, etc? I'm hoping when Hoyden's collar comes in it will help the collar stay up, but until then, any ideas? Or should I just resign myself to it sliding down her neck? I think the problem is her neck doesn't taper at her head - it's one width all the way down. :|

ETA
I also should have mentioned that it slides around her neck - like when she shakes her head, the collar slips sideways. Does this mean it's too loose? Sorry for all the questions, I just REALLY want to make sure I'm not harming her in any way.
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby huskyhouse » April 15th, 2006, 1:42 pm

If the prong collar can turn around the dogs neck, it's waay too big, take a link out. And it also may be the gauge size, I find the smaller gauge with more links added work and fit much better than any other size for most dogs. When a prong fits just right, you should only be able to fit the very tip of your finger underneath the tip of the prong itself :wink: .
huskyhouse
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby pitbullmamaliz » April 15th, 2006, 4:01 pm

Thank you! I will take another link out and see how that does...
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby rockermom » April 15th, 2006, 4:56 pm

I have had mouch trouble keeping training collars up high on Rocky's neck no matter how tight I make them. I have not used a prong yet, but I guess the same thing would happen. He has a very big head and a very small neck. Only about a 15", same size from bottom of neck to ears just like your dog. I am no longer doing leash corrections but when I was I found it very frustrating to constantly move up the collar. I used the martingale with the chain through it. and the nylon rope choke style, which stayed up high better until it stretched out.
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Previous

Return to Training & Behavior