training treats

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby rockermom » April 10th, 2006, 9:08 am

I need to get some training treats. Whant to change the treats a bit make it more interesting. I have been using mostly meat balls and chicken. Hot dogs seem as they would be cheap and easy. But do you have to cook them first? What other treats are good to use for training class. They must be soft and easy to cut up into small pieces. I Need alot since I believe we will be sharing and trading treats. And Rocky is such a good boy, I go through treats like there is no tomorrow.
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby pitbullmamaliz » April 10th, 2006, 9:10 am

Actually Inara loves the Petsmart brand treats. I think they're $2.99, and I cut them in half so you get a ton out of them. They're small and easy to swallow.
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby dogcrazyjen » April 10th, 2006, 9:26 am

I usually use hot dogs, cut once in half lengthwise then sliced in thin slices crosswise, so you get lots of little half moon slices. I then put them on paper towels on a plate and microwave them for 5 minutes. They come out dryish and wrinkly.

Baked liver cut up into pieces, pounce cat treats, string cheese or buy a brick of mozzerella and cut up, cheese balls (the big orange crunchy fritoey people snacks-Sam's Club sells massive containers for 3 bucks), Charlie Bears. I have a client whose dog will only work for kibble. :|

For highly aggitated situations where it is VERY hard to get the dog to pay attention, liverwurst works wonders. It is very mushy though, so not good for a normal training treat.
dogcrazyjen
Devoutly Bully

Postby Purple » April 10th, 2006, 9:30 am

I use freeze dried chicken, liver or beef. I can keep the treats in my pockets without getting all slimey, and the dogs love them!
Purple
I live here

Postby katiek0417 » April 10th, 2006, 9:49 am

I use hot dogs. Straight out of the package. With Sacha, I bite pieces off and store them in my mouth (think chipmunk cheeks) so I can spit them to her (to work on attention heeling). With the puppy, I hold a whole hot dog in my hand, and I hold it down so she can nibble as she's learning to heel....I keep my hand on it so she can only get a little at a time....

Otherwise, i just break pieces off.

I take whole packages with me, then anyone who needs hot dog can just grab one from the package....
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby Maryellen » April 10th, 2006, 9:53 am

natural balance rolls.. cut into bite size pieces the size of a pencil eraser... or a little bigger..

or hot dogs like everyone else said..

or cheerios
Maryellen
I live here

Postby PittieLove » April 10th, 2006, 9:59 am

at Publix they have these treats that can be broken up. Cheese works well too
Bulldog Pride.
PittieLove
Confident Young Bully

Postby Romanwild » April 10th, 2006, 10:42 am

I bake mine.

liver, garlic, wheat germ, dry milk, whole wheat flower, corn meal and garlic.

Doggie crack. :wink:
Romanwild
I live here

Postby SisMorphine » April 10th, 2006, 11:26 am

dogcrazyjen wrote:I usually use hot dogs, cut once in half lengthwise then sliced in thin slices crosswise, so you get lots of little half moon slices. I then put them on paper towels on a plate and microwave them for 5 minutes. They come out dryish and wrinkly.

I do the same thing. Works wonders at even keeping Wally's attention . . . which is hard to keep!!
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby Hoyden » April 10th, 2006, 12:21 pm

I buy the too expensive lamb's liver some of the time or I save chicken or steak from dinner and use that.

Birdie has turned into a treat snob - hot dogs won't work with her.

She loves portwine cheese or cracker barrel cheddar cheese. Those cracker barrel cheese snack blocks are great - I just cut them twice 3/4 of the way through long ways, then cut them cross ways the same way so I can break off bits for bait.
Moral courage is the most valuable and usually the most absent characteristic in men ~ General George S. Patton, Jr.

She taking all the stars down from her sky to hang them up someplace new, where there's better weather and the sky's a different blue. ~ Autumn Fields
Hoyden
Collar Queen

Postby mnp13 » April 10th, 2006, 12:23 pm

I have a cow tongue and a cow heart. Now that my stove is hooked up again I'm going to thaw them and make treats in the deep well. It is at a constant 135 degrees because of the pilot light so I think it will work fine.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby cheekymunkee » April 10th, 2006, 12:26 pm

I use the free dog food samples I get at Canine Commisary fro threats most of the time. It's GREAT dog food like Wellness or Solid Gold & since they are free :|
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby dogcrazyjen » April 10th, 2006, 12:54 pm

I have a cow tongue and a cow heart. Now that my stove is hooked up again I'm going to thaw them

OK, am I the only one here that found this really funny? :twisted:
Get it?...cold hearted?....moo!

Ok, so maybe I am just weird. :|
dogcrazyjen
Devoutly Bully

Postby mnp13 » April 10th, 2006, 12:55 pm

yeah, you're weird. :D
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby mnp13 » April 10th, 2006, 2:54 pm

for all you soap opera lovers - head to OT
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby ellie@ny » April 10th, 2006, 10:26 pm

Liver,hot-dog,bil-jac,anything.... :D
Ellie
----------------------------------------
"Winners aren't born...they're made.And they're made just like anything else...through hard work.That's the price we'll have to pay to achive that goal."
ellie@ny
Full of Bully

Postby pLaurent » April 14th, 2006, 2:50 pm

I've used Pounce cat treats. Most dogs go wild for them, because they're smelly and they're very small which is good!
pLaurent
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Return to Training & Behavior