My Foster Playbowed!

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby SisMorphine » April 8th, 2006, 11:55 am

So my little spooky foster, Venus, and I went up to see Chris on Thursday. He gave me some great tips on how to help build her confidence. We have been working on it with her, and yesterday she had 3 people other than myself handle her onleash and it went very well.

The first thing I noticed was yesterday morning she was comfortable enough to stretch in front of me. That was the first time she has relaxed while I was standing up (she's usually tense and rigid).

Well this morning she's like a whole new dog!! She's going in and out of her crate without me having to hook up her leash first. I brought her out to go to the bathroom. Her tail was up! This is the first time it wasn't between her legs (she only ever wags it in her crate with a closed door). Then she came butt running towards me!!!! Her tail was going a million miles an hour and she playbowed at me, jumped to the side, playbowed again, jumped to the side, then jumped up at me!! The whole time her little tail didn't stop moving.

I can't stop smiling now.

She still has a long way to go, but I am just so psyched that she's starting to gather a little more confidence. She is such a fantastic dog. I really need to get some pictures of her when I bring her out next.

ETA
Playbow into buttrun . . . caught on film
Last edited by SisMorphine on April 8th, 2006, 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby Purple » April 8th, 2006, 11:58 am

Great news! It makes you so proud, doesn't it?!
Purple
I live here

Postby Patch O' Pits » April 8th, 2006, 11:59 am

That is great news! What helped to bring her around?
Patch O' Pits Pursuit-O-Perfection

Run Hard at the Rainbow Bridge My Angel Sock-M! I Love You Baby Girl! Now that your Mom Starlit is up there too, please help her learn the ropes, love and keep her company until I can see you both again. Starlit I love you!
http://i14.tinypic.com/2a8q345.jpg
Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Postby SisMorphine » April 8th, 2006, 12:07 pm

Patch O' Pits wrote:That is great news! What helped to bring her around?

Just leash work. She was shying away from everyone, pulling away on leash, refusing to walk, etc. So whoever has the leash just keeps walking, tugging her along so she has to follow essentially telling her "I have control of this situation, just follow me." That's it. She gives new people very little resistance now compared to at first, and she walks fantastically with me. But that's it. Just some confidence on leash has given her confidence offleash in the potty yard and in the house. I'm so psyched.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby Patch O' Pits » April 8th, 2006, 12:24 pm

SisMorphine wrote:
Patch O' Pits wrote:That is great news! What helped to bring her around?

Just leash work. She was shying away from everyone, pulling away on leash, refusing to walk, etc. So whoever has the leash just keeps walking, tugging her along so she has to follow essentially telling her "I have control of this situation, just follow me." That's it. She gives new people very little resistance now compared to at first, and she walks fantastically with me. But that's it. Just some confidence on leash has given her confidence offleash in the potty yard and in the house. I'm so psyched.
Wow that was easy! Good for you both! :clap:
Patch O' Pits Pursuit-O-Perfection

Run Hard at the Rainbow Bridge My Angel Sock-M! I Love You Baby Girl! Now that your Mom Starlit is up there too, please help her learn the ropes, love and keep her company until I can see you both again. Starlit I love you!
http://i14.tinypic.com/2a8q345.jpg
Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Postby dogcrazyjen » April 8th, 2006, 1:35 pm

Confidence and fear both travel through the leash. Awesome job!
dogcrazyjen
Devoutly Bully

Postby chance's mom » April 8th, 2006, 1:51 pm

congrats, thats gotta feel good!!! good for both of you know you can both be happier and enjoy each other more. such a cutie btw!!
chance's mom
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby ellie@ny » April 8th, 2006, 2:01 pm

This is great!Good job on her,hope she find soon a perfect home! :)
Ellie
----------------------------------------
"Winners aren't born...they're made.And they're made just like anything else...through hard work.That's the price we'll have to pay to achive that goal."
ellie@ny
Full of Bully

Postby a-bull » April 8th, 2006, 4:52 pm

Oh wow, this is soo great to hear!!

Great work Chris & Alyssa!

:band:
DISCLAIMER:

My posts are my own opinions unless otherwise stated. They are not necessarily correct for all dogs or all owners.
a-bull
I live here

Return to Training & Behavior