I have a dilemma.....

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby Insomnia » April 7th, 2006, 4:23 pm

okay...so little Harley is a little destructive and a bit hyper..I thought dogs his age should be sleeping all the time.. :|

Harley right now resides on my balcony for better part of the day, because it's either that or the crate which he hates....

B4 I ask my question, this is the schedule I have for Harley.....in the morning, he's got 1 hour play time & potty break, in the afternoon, he's got two quick potty breaks maybe 15 minutes each, and at night, he'll be out for about one to two hours for walk & play, rest of the time he's on the balcony.

I got 12 hour graveyard shifts 4 days a week that's why I can't have him inside the home more during the day 'cuz I gotta get my sleep in.....if he was more chillin', he can hang out with my parents during the day with PiPi and Princess, but he's too hyper, you should see how fast he can climb onto the dinner table, and he scares the crap outta PiPi, so PiPi don't come into my apartment anymore. I can't trouble my parents to look after Harley right now because he will not stop causing trouble....as u all know, that's gonna take a lot of time..and probably not going to happen if he's always on the balcony.....

Princess & PiPi have all the freedom in the world while Harley's on the balcony, I just feel kinda bad and I dunno if Harley's getting the attention he needs, my parents do walk Harley at night when they walk the rest of the crew, but not always 'cuz it's a handful to walk 3 of them. I'm having trouble finding time to spend time with all of them..........actually, I have no idea what I'm asking....can anyone kinda understand what I'm saying? Do I have a situation or not? Any suggestions?
Insomnia
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby SisMorphine » April 7th, 2006, 8:44 pm

Crate him. Don't care if he likes it or not he'll learn to like it. Throw him in the crate with something yummy (raw marrow bone or stuffed kong) and just ignore his wails of complaint.

This way he'll be able to be in your house, around your family, even if he's still in a crate. It will give him more stimulation during the day and acclimate him more to home life, thus hopefully reducing his crazies and destructive tendencies.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby dogcrazyjen » April 8th, 2006, 11:22 am

If he can be crated in your room at night he will feel more a part of the pack. If you seriously are only able to give him under 3 hours of attention a day, you may want to consider rehoming him to somone who has more time.

Sorry I wish I had more, but sometimes what we want is not what is best for the dog. :|
dogcrazyjen
Devoutly Bully

Postby Maryellen » April 8th, 2006, 1:31 pm

yep, crating him in the house is the answer. and, when he is out of the crate keep his leash on him, this way if he tries to jump on the table you can catch him midstream.. i would also try to keep him out more when you are home if possible, the more exercise he gets the more he will sleep.. a tired puppy is a happy owner.. get him a http://www.bustercube.com that should keep him busy, and a kong too..
Maryellen
I live here

Postby Insomnia » April 12th, 2006, 11:17 am

thanx for all the advice...

this is what I have done, hopefully improve the situation.....first, I managed to adjust my work schedule to working 4 consecutive days and then get 3 or 4 consecutive days off, I think I'll be able to spend more quality time with all of them this way, rather than having 1 day off in between 2 working days and feeling all tired and burnt out. When I'm home & not sleeping, I take Harley out to potty every hour or so, so less chance of him urinating inside the house, and keep him on a leash tied to a table or something, occasionally letting him off to wrestle with Princess. As for crating.....he has some major issues with going potty in the crate even when I had just taken him out...he seem to think crate is a good place to go potty...if I keep him in there more and just keep cleaning up his mess, I guess that'll stop it?

And....since now I will be keeping him inside more, how do I teach him to go potty on the balcony? He refuses to go potty there, when he's about to pee or already pee inside the house, I scoot him out to the balcony, but no matter how long I leave him there, he won't go. I'm contemplating if I should use the training pad, but I don't really know how that works...will the dog automatically like to pee on the training pad rather than on the floor??

Thanx again :)
Insomnia
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby mnp13 » April 12th, 2006, 11:19 am

Training pads are scented to attract the dog to use them. Get him used to using it, then move it towards the balcony door, then out onto the balcony.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby pitbullmamaliz » April 12th, 2006, 12:54 pm

When we first got Inara and her brother, we tried the training pads...they would pee on them (occasionally) but as soon as they did, they'd shred them all over the room. Kinda gross! Stopped using them as soon as we could.
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby dogcrazyjen » April 12th, 2006, 2:33 pm

Get some sod and put it in the bottom of a cat box.

Mark 'potty' with a clicker and treat, so he understands what 'potty' means.

If he is messing in the crate, it likely is too big a crate. They should not be able to get away from their mess. Put a cardboard box in there to take up some of the extra room or get a new crate.

Glad to hear you can work your schedule around a bit!
dogcrazyjen
Devoutly Bully

Postby Patch O' Pits » April 12th, 2006, 4:44 pm

How old is Harley?

Lots of good advice was given.. it deoends on what you really want to do ? I personally HATE puppy training pads and do not use them, but it works for some. Create traing is great.

I have to lagh as all my dogs are high drive so I hear you on trying to allot the time to make sure everyone is happy.

What works for me best is giving them their own individual time as well as time together. Also training time for obedience , agility whatever you find they really like. Keeping their brains working and busy is just as important as their bodies with a high drive dog

you can come play in my free online class at Pit Bull University,
come take a peek and let me know what you think.
http://ukcpitbull.com/education/login/index.php
Patch O' Pits Pursuit-O-Perfection

Run Hard at the Rainbow Bridge My Angel Sock-M! I Love You Baby Girl! Now that your Mom Starlit is up there too, please help her learn the ropes, love and keep her company until I can see you both again. Starlit I love you!
http://i14.tinypic.com/2a8q345.jpg
Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Postby dogcrazyjen » April 13th, 2006, 9:56 am

I signed up for it too, hope that was OK?
dogcrazyjen
Devoutly Bully

Postby Patch O' Pits » April 13th, 2006, 10:08 am

dogcrazyjen wrote:I signed up for it too, hope that was OK?

Yes, of course! Everyone is welcome! If anything is hard to understand the way I have it written up or any links don't work just let me know so I can fix it!

You'd don't need to compete to have fun with agility, but you can certainly take it to the next step. I listed a bunch of sites for the organizations and vocab too to get you started. It is always hard being a newbie... this way you get an advantage
Patch O' Pits Pursuit-O-Perfection

Run Hard at the Rainbow Bridge My Angel Sock-M! I Love You Baby Girl! Now that your Mom Starlit is up there too, please help her learn the ropes, love and keep her company until I can see you both again. Starlit I love you!
http://i14.tinypic.com/2a8q345.jpg
Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Return to Training & Behavior