Teaching Stand

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby mnp13 » April 6th, 2006, 9:45 pm

Any suggestions? I've had a few suggestions on how to do it, but I'm not big on using force to teach.

I don't like luring him into a stand from a sit, because I'm just teaching him to break sit....
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby pocketpit » April 6th, 2006, 10:09 pm

For Ring we don't lure forward since the change of positions exercise is supposed to be done without the dog moving.
With puppies and some older dogs, I've taught it by placing my hand in the flank area while pushing a cookie into their chest at the same time. Often just touching the flank is enough to elicit movement with the back legs and sometimes they need a little "lift". Eventually the cues are all slowly removed.
I've also taught it by stepping into the dog when I stay "stand" and effectively making them stand up to move out of my way.
When they are in heel position I've seen the 2 leash method taught very effectively as well. One leash on the collar as usual and one leash looped around the flank area to be used as an encouragement or help to make the dog understand to lift the back end into a standing position.

Anyone else? I'm always interested in hearing different training techniques.
pocketpit
Supremely Bully

Postby rockermom » April 7th, 2006, 11:38 am

Ahhh this is one Rocky had much trouble with in our class that used only leash corrections. He refused to stand. However when I got to the clicker positive class he got stand quickly. What I did was holding the hand out flat and LOW luring to a stand without using comand. Giving the click treat as soon as in the stand. after a few of those added the comand with the flat hand down low. He quickly got it but would also stand and quickly sit. So then he would get lots of coninued treats to keep him in the stand/stay. He got it very quickly what was taking weeks to get prior.
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby SisMorphine » April 7th, 2006, 12:13 pm

I say "stand" Wally stays seated. I move him into stand, he flips me the bird and walks away.

Good thing he's not a show dog . . .
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby katiek0417 » April 7th, 2006, 1:18 pm

Michelle,

I don't like using force for teaching, either....which is why I liked Greg's method (you use more positive).

We put one leash on Sacha's collar, then looped another leash around her belly...he held both, using some pressure on the one around her belly to keep her standing...I fed her hot dog while praising "Good Stand." To do it at home (by myself) I put the leash on her collar, then looped the other leash around her belly, but then I used my banister in place of Greg...I held the leash that on her collar, but wrapped the other leash around the banister to hold her up...again, I sat there and fed treats while praising "Good Stand."

so, yes, you're using some force (keeping them standing with the leash), but you're feeding treats and praising while you're doing it....
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby Cuda » April 9th, 2006, 10:45 am

Teaching stand by pressing on the back of the shoulders in motion usually causes them to lock up and stand there. Give it a try. Worked for my pup.
Cuda
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby rockermom » April 12th, 2006, 8:53 am

Hand under the belly pushing up helps to get them to stand. My problem was stand stay. Wich while in the stand repetitively giving treats while saying good stand/stay helped him to stay.
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby mnp13 » April 12th, 2006, 10:12 am

I tried what Megan suggested and it worked very well.

I stand him up and every time he moves, I pick him up and hold him in the air until he stops moving and then put him down. It gets tiring, but he gets the point pretty quickly.

The other think I have found is that he holds very still if I put my hand between his back legs, on the back part of his you know. He stands still I remove my hand, he gets fussy, I hold him still again.

Between the two methods, he did pretty well last night.

He doesn't change positions yet, but he's getting the idea of the position.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Return to Training & Behavior