potty training trick

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby LaylaWoobie » February 10th, 2008, 2:06 pm

Just thought of this and thought I'd share it...

When Layla was a puppy and we brought her home, we wanted to potty train her so she'd be able to tell us when she'd have to go out because if we were in another room, we weren't always able to see the door. When we were potty training our other dog, this lead to many accidents at the door...which were hard to punish her for, because she had gone to the door to go out, but we weren't there to take her out.

So we put a some bells on a ribbon and attached it to the door handle. (got the bells from Michael's or another craft store, incase anyone wants to try this out) Whenever we would take her out, we would take her paw and hit the bells. She's a pretty quick learner, so within maybe 4 or 5 hours, she started hitting the bells. After a few days, she was accident free-at 8 WEEKS! It was amazing. To this day, 2 years later, we still have bells up and can hear them from all around the house. I personally love it...my mom's lab will stand at the door and bark and howl at you until you let her out, which drives me nuts! Layla hits the bell with her nose and will sit and wait for you to come open the door for her.

It's also helpful when traveling, as long as she can see her bells, she knows that's where she is supposed to go to be let outside. No matter what door it is, she will hit them and wait to be taken out.

Just some food for thought if anyone is looking for some potty training ideas.
LaylaWoobie
Full of Bully

Postby hey21jude » February 10th, 2008, 2:24 pm

Thats a really cool idea!
Cleo does something similar to this. We Have her collar on a hook by the door and when she needs to go potty she'll bring it to us. Of course sometimes she has to whine about it first and then we say "show me what you want" and she trot off and go get it.
She does this with her food dish as well. This trick backfires though, sometimes when she's finished eating she'll bring her dish to us again with a look saying "more please?". We say no and she slams the dish on the ground! She' so fresh!
Keith cannot for the life of him remember how he taught her to do this but its really helpful.

:rolleyes2:
Save the Pit Bull... Save the World.
hey21jude
Confident Young Bully

Postby gayrghts » February 10th, 2008, 5:48 pm

My fur kids do similar with the food bowl...

ie harley will bring it to me when its empty....

but.... when its empty we pick it up, because its a hospital wash basin and it would be chewed up if it was on the floor....

So we just thank him, and put it up....

Sometimes he gets frustrated.... but oh well :)

For going out, all of our dogs have learned to come to us, and put their front paws up on us.... no clue how they learned it, but they are persistant when they want to go out.... and if the little one can't get our attention she gets the older ones to do it.
Heather

A dog teaches a (kid) boy fidelity, perseverance, and to turn around three times before lying down.
- Robert Benchley
gayrghts
I live here

Postby LaylaWoobie » February 10th, 2008, 7:47 pm

She does this with her food dish as well. This trick backfires though, sometimes when she's finished eating she'll bring her dish to us again with a look saying "more please?". We say no and she slams the dish on the ground! She' so fresh!

That's too cute! Layla's dish is ceramic, so that wouldn't really work for her...but I love the idea. Layla does get fresh about her bells too, kind of like a food-refill...haha

If you don't come to her right away, she will sit on her hind legs and paw ferociously at the door like a little squirrel until you get there or she'll take the bells off the door and bring them to you. "EXCUSE ME--DID YOU NOT HEAR ME RINGING THESE DAMN BELLS MOM?!?!" :backRoll:
LaylaWoobie
Full of Bully

Postby hey21jude » February 10th, 2008, 8:40 pm

That's too cute! Layla's dish is ceramic, so that wouldn't really work for her...but I love the idea. Layla does get fresh about her bells too, kind of like a food-refill...haha

If you don't come to her right away, she will sit on her hind legs and paw ferociously at the door like a little squirrel until you get there or she'll take the bells off the door and bring them to you. "EXCUSE ME--DID YOU NOT HEAR ME RINGING THESE DAMN BELLS MOM?!?!"

Their Water dish is ceramic so she just pushes it around on the floor and hits her teeth on it to make a "ding" sound to get our attention. I love how when they ask for something, and they have to wait like 5 seconds so they throw a hissy fit like"Hello!!! Can't you see I Have To PEE!!!" LMAO Gotta Love Em!
Save the Pit Bull... Save the World.
hey21jude
Confident Young Bully

Return to Training & Behavior