I see the light...

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby Malli » March 26th, 2006, 12:54 am

and it is on a shiny chrome prong!

O. M. G. !!!

I was at a local Shutzhund Trial and I got to talking with a really decent trainer who competed, we both have Pits, share the same views on things, it was great!!

I asked about what the prong and what she thought of it with my dog, explained my dilemma, etc. She brought out her own dog's and suggested I try it out. It was AMAZING I even baited him with the dogs he had never met that she had in her car and he responded after one try at straining.
I bought my own at a Pet store and tried it out with him there, he was AWESOME (he had never been in that store, and it is always very exciting for him to enter new places period, let alone a pet store.
The corrections are effortless and I don't feel awful, its like he has an understanding that he does it to himself

But boy is he pissed :ROFL2:

Malli
Malli
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby msvette2u » March 26th, 2006, 1:02 am

lol
Our GSD's hate the prongs but they respond. It's like "power steering" for a dog ;)
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby mnp13 » March 26th, 2006, 1:04 am

Woo Hoo! another convert!!!

:D

I'm glad you are seeing results already. Just be careful about him becoming collar smart, or you will have a total brat on your hands whenever the collar is off and an angel when it is on.

I had fully weaned Ruby off of the prong collar so her OB was as good with the prong as without. Then I got lax. Now she is a perfict (if a little mopey) goody two shoes when it is on, and a disobedient little witch when it is off.

With Riggs, Chris and Megan told me to put the prong on at least an hour before I work him so that it's not "the collar is on now, it's time to behave". They get used to the collar so it's not a 'cue' to them. It's working very well, and I haven't had to use it much. Some sessions he's wearing it but I never hook on the leash.

Just remember, a correctly fitted prong is tight and up high on the neck. If you leave it on for extended periods (like all day or overnight) it will probably cause irritation.

I'll bet he sulks for a while, they usually do when they suddenly have to do as they are told! Poor babies :rolleyes2:

what happened with you and that trainer is the best part of going to dog events - finding people who truly want to help you and the breed.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Maryellen » March 26th, 2006, 10:38 am

and make sure you have a backup nylon choke for safety measures. i have had 2 prongs pop and the collar came off, if i didnt have the backup nylon choke i dont know what would have happened.. the nylon choke is just for security reasons, i attach it to the leash with the prong
Maryellen
I live here

Postby girlie » March 26th, 2006, 11:30 am

Nylons make me nervous, my girl has broken many of them......if you have a very strong dog leather might be a better option. JMO.
girlie
Devoutly Bully

Postby Malli » March 26th, 2006, 11:50 pm

so I'm doing my corrections at about half of what they would have been if I'd done them with one hand.... He jumps back, and then turns and looks shocked and mournfully at me.

I even tested him at work where the smells are insane and the kitchen is a mix of spare kibble and food scraps on the floor, and he's awesome!

Is it ok to leave it on them for that long before I go out?? I had worried about leaving it on him at all when we weren't training or walking. It can't be too comfy...

The trainer suggested too that I might eventually be able to switch him off it... I'm not so sure :rolleyes2: The Bull in Pit Bull is really a great description of him

This lady was so nice, I asked her if she might do a session with us on proper corrections for it, and she said she'd love to take my money but it was actually quie easy. She then proceeded to answer at least 6 questions from me :ROFL2:

She also has a class for aggressive dogs, and mentioned that she uses nice methods to work with them...

I really want to make sure he does not become immune to this, so any preventative tips here would be awesome

oh, how tight is tight? His doesn't slip all the way down his neck (it stays within an inch or 2 of its ideal spot) and can slide around his neck a little. The trainer we were speaking with did fit a smaller one on him, but she suggested I add 3 links. I bought the second to smallest link size, BTW, and then bought 3 additional links.

Malli
Last edited by Malli on March 27th, 2006, 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Malli
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby mnp13 » March 27th, 2006, 12:00 am

Getting him used to wearing it will help keep him from being collar smart. You can leave it on him for a while before and after walks and training, that will help.

If he only wears it when you are training you are almost gaurenteed to end up with a collar smart dog.

Don't leave it on overnight or when you are not in the house with him.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Malli » May 1st, 2006, 12:46 pm

UPDATE :D

Amazing!

I have even started walking him with the prong on but on his flat!

It was all about breaking the habit.

The prong has also showed him that he does not need to have anxiety when approaching new and unfamiliar dogs; he is no longer focussing only on them and "psyching" himself up about it, it has become no big deal.

Training is also amazing, his heal is getting wicked! (well, at least for us)

It has also taken the stress out of me correcting him

yay us, yay prong collar :D
Malli
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby Purple » May 1st, 2006, 12:50 pm

Hopscotch actually does a happy wiggle butt dance when I bring the prong out! She just loves to work, or go for walks, and the little beast will actually still pull on the prong, I think she likes it too much!!!! :|
Purple
I live here

Postby katiek0417 » May 1st, 2006, 12:52 pm

Malli wrote:UPDATE :D

Amazing!

I have even started walking him with the prong on but on his flat!

It was all about breaking the habit.

The prong has also showed him that he does not need to have anxiety when approaching new and unfamiliar dogs; he is no longer focussing only on them and "psyching" himself up about it, it has become no big deal.

Training is also amazing, his heal is getting wicked! (well, at least for us)

It has also taken the stress out of me correcting him

yay us, yay prong collar :D

YAY!!!! I am so happy for you. We just put one on my puppy last week. What a difference a few days make (she's reacting beautifully, but it doesn't take much correction for her).

Keep us updated on your progress!!!!
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby SisMorphine » May 1st, 2006, 4:57 pm

pitcess wrote:Nylons make me nervous, my girl has broken many of them......if you have a very strong dog leather might be a better option. JMO.

Or a nice thick martingale.

I think I am going to have to suck up my anti-prong ways and go onto a prong with Jacktard . . . I mean . . . Halo. I'm not looking forward to it, frankly, but I do what needs to be done.

I was raised on Greyhounds, damnit, who would die if you ever pronged them. So just the thought STILL gives me the sickening pit in the bottom of my stomach even though I know better now . . .
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby pitbullmamaliz » May 1st, 2006, 5:23 pm

I always hated prongs until I got Inara, who pulls like an ox. With the prong our walks are sooo much more pleasant.
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby satanscheerleader » May 1st, 2006, 5:38 pm

Tanks a dolt. He's awesome with the prong inside {house or store} but outside he doesn't even notice it. He's too into trying to mark on everything. Although, my arm does notice less trauma after walking him with it than the halti. On a positive note I found something that is high value enough to distract him from other dogs at the vets or out and about. Get this...... little puppy squeeky toys. lol He is seriously mentally deficient. :| So instead of my stern verbal correction {as high value food never helped} I just give a little squeek and voila! lol He is an embarrassment to all male pit bulls in the world lol
satanscheerleader
Loyally Bully

Postby Malli » May 1st, 2006, 10:33 pm

Oh dear, Tank. Oscar would take one look and then proceed to go back to obsessing on whatever it was. As highly motivated he is for food and toys, I don't think I could find any that would permanently grab his concentration from another animal. (but maybe that all will change? He is getting SO much better!)

malli
Malli
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby katiek0417 » May 2nd, 2006, 7:35 am

Sacha is motivated by anything I give the puppy...and vice versa. If I can't get the puppy's attention, I give sacha something and of course Nisha has to investigate. The same goes for getting Sacha's attention. THAT'S a beautiful thing!!!!

Also, the puppy is totally attracted by fun squeeky toys....I guess that's b/c she's still a puppy. :wink: Also, her tug will get her every time...but then I have to do obedience for a sec and reward her...
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby 04100824 » May 2nd, 2006, 10:02 am

We use a plain ole' choke chain with the prong on Reno for backup in case the prong comes apart. The two work nicely together, as they pretty much slide tight in unison, so the prong still slides nicely.

Reno is VERY freakin' stubborn, and though he'll still try to pull on a prong (no no!) when he's at high levels of excitement, he gets it for the most part. It's gotten him to stop and wait to be back by my side on walks when I tell him to, it's gotten him to stop lunging at birds on our walks, he's better when we see dogs, it's helped to teach him "come"...I love it!

It really is amazing how much these things help.
Confident Young Bully

Return to Training & Behavior