shock collars

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby brooksybrooks1 » September 12th, 2007, 4:22 pm

well the cat is awesome with tre and bosley. he'll only run if he's getting chased in a not playful kind of way. but brooklyn hunts and torments him, so he's obviously a bit more sheepish around him. i'm sure he'd get over it quick if we could fix brooklyn. i think i'm gonna do a shock collar and give him a hard correction for even looking. it's that bad. i want him to be in avoidance around him for a while, and then slowly as he stops fixating on him and just lets him be the shocks will stop and brooks will most likely stop having a strong negative reaction to him, but just a complete disinterest. that's my plan.
Jenna
brooksybrooks1
Loyally Bully

Postby mnp13 » September 12th, 2007, 4:28 pm

btw

this:
I don't have time to let brooklyn wanting to eat my cat go ignored while i'm rewarding only positive behaviors, he needs to stop, NOW, or my cat will be dead or brook's face seriously scratched up

Is the crux of my position on this topic. Could you do PR and desenticize him to the cat? Yes, definately... but it's the NOW that is important to me, and NOW is not generally part of PR only training.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby brooksybrooks1 » September 12th, 2007, 4:42 pm

yeah, that's why i like corrections for this kind of training, i never said otherwise, honestly, i wouldn't risk doing it any other way. it's just the advanced stuff, competition style training, i think it can be done well using little to no physical corrections. i would NEVER try to train a dog, say, not to attack other dogs, by only rewarding them when they don't fixate. if they are being good, i'll tell them that, if they aren't, this is a life or death situation, and i'll correct them so quick its not even funny!

as far as the duck example, i wouldn't wait till my dog got to the end of the line and jerked himself back. i would correct him the second i saw him throw body posture and fixate on the ducks. as in "don't even think about it mister, you aren't even allowed to get into that mindset let alone run halfway/ all the way over there, you're getting corrected right here, right now." instead of him running running running everything is fine then BOOM!!! yanked back! i think this makes dogs think, "what the h*ll?! i just ran over here all this way without any correction so now what is this- can i run aggressively half way there? or should i just not run at all?" whereas a correction for the mindset itself, timed immediately when the dog shoots a hairy eyeball at those ducks, tells the dog exactly when and where he started messing up and to not even let it go that far next time.
Jenna
brooksybrooks1
Loyally Bully

Postby Wyldmoonwoman » September 12th, 2007, 4:44 pm

On September 12 2007, 3:47 PM, mnp13 wrote:
Koehler talks about the electrified chicken scenario in his book (which I would never ever do) but the principle is the same, the dog is allowed to go after the chicken and gets a correction from the actual object of it's prey driven obscession and this will effectively cure the drive to kill the farm animal.

See, I would question this because it sounds like the dog - porcupine thing.

I'll have to read that section of the book, I think Demo has it.

You are probably right...I admit that section of the book freaked me out a little, but there is some good information in the book
"If I were not a man, I would like to be a bird. As I am a man, I do the next best thing, and ride a bicycle." -- Rev. Maltie, a cyclist in the late 1800s
Wyldmoonwoman
Full of Bully

Postby brooksybrooks1 » September 12th, 2007, 4:45 pm

and for clarity- the reason i have a big difference in my training for the two is 1. the goals i have in mind and 2. competition style obedience isn't practical- you can't ask that out of your dog 24hours a day, you CAN, however, ask for basic obedience 24hours a day.
Jenna
brooksybrooks1
Loyally Bully

Previous

Return to Training & Behavior