Barking too muhch

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby luvmypitties » July 18th, 2007, 8:22 pm

Ellie has began to bark when commands are given at home. Like if I tell her 'back' which is her command to back up so I can go out the door first. And now when I tell her to 'wait' which is her stay. She stays but barks, she backs up but barks. How can I break the barking but keep the commands??
Tina
Our thoughts and prayers are with Mick and Christine! We love you both!

RIP my precious Noah! You are greatly missed and still so loved!!! 7-12-06-- 2-21-07
RIP Abby! I always loved you!
luvmypitties
I live here

Postby katiek0417 » July 18th, 2007, 8:36 pm

tell her quiet...correct her for quiet...if she breaks the command, correct her for that...in other words, start having a leash on her...

I had that problem with Sacha
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby Beth » July 18th, 2007, 8:41 pm

On July 18 2007, 7:36 PM, katiek0417 wrote:tell her quiet...correct her for quiet...if she breaks the command, correct her for that...in other words, start having a leash on her...

what does the leash do?
Mom to
Blaze 3/17/93 - 3/30/07
Onyx b 3/7/99
Duchess b 3/12/02 r 9/18/02
Rifle b 12/1/02 r 8/8/03
Diamond b 5/3/05 a 8/3/05
Luka r 5/16/07
Dixie b 10/20/06 a 4/1/08
Beth
Enlightened Bully

Postby SisMorphine » July 18th, 2007, 8:49 pm

On July 18 2007, 7:41 PM, Beth wrote:
On July 18 2007, 7:36 PM, katiek0417 wrote:tell her quiet...correct her for quiet...if she breaks the command, correct her for that...in other words, start having a leash on her...

what does the leash do?

So she can give a leash correction. Can't give a leash correction if the dog isn't wearing a leash ;)

I know that you're doing some new and intense training with Ellie, is it a significantly different training method than what she was on? Are you getting more strict with her than you were before? The barking could be confusion and/or distaste for the new way of life (aka: a hissy fit). For many dogs the barking is something that will dissolve provided that the barking is ignored and the training continues to be consistant.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby katiek0417 » July 18th, 2007, 10:31 pm

On July 18 2007, 7:49 PM, SisMorphine wrote:
On July 18 2007, 7:41 PM, Beth wrote:

what does the leash do?

So she can give a leash correction. Can't give a leash correction if the dog isn't wearing a leash ;)

Yep, what Sis said!!!

I know that you're doing some new and intense training with Ellie, is it a significantly different training method than what she was on? Are you getting more strict with her than you were before? The barking could be confusion and/or distaste for the new way of life (aka: a hissy fit). For many dogs the barking is something that will dissolve provided that the barking is ignored and the training continues to be consistant.

Like I said, Sacha used to do it....with her it was excitement...she knew she was getting a treat....

What is Ellie's body language?

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby luvmypitties » July 19th, 2007, 10:01 am

I think Ellie gets over excited about what happens after she is released from a command. Like I tell her back and then sit and then wait. Not too hard. I open the door she goes to move, I correct her and tell her wait again. Thats when she gets excited and barks, her tail is going a mile a minute. Now she doesnt do this in the car when she is told to wait. She waits and I release her to go run around at my work or at home. I think it is mostly at door ways. I like to go through first or else the dogs run me over so they were taught the wait and back commands to make it easier on me.
Tina

RIP my precious Noah! You are greatly missed and still so loved!!! 7-12-06-- 2-21-07
luvmypitties
I live here

Postby katiek0417 » July 19th, 2007, 10:07 am

On July 19 2007, 9:01 AM, luvmypitties wrote:I think Ellie gets over excited about what happens after she is released from a command. Like I tell her back and then sit and then wait. Not too hard. I open the door she goes to move, I correct her and tell her wait again. Thats when she gets excited and barks, her tail is going a mile a minute. Now she doesnt do this in the car when she is told to wait. She waits and I release her to go run around at my work or at home. I think it is mostly at door ways. I like to go through first or else the dogs run me over so they were taught the wait and back commands to make it easier on me.

If it's excitement, then I'd start using the leash to correct her (and tell her quiet), and that also allows you to enforce the other behaviors (sit, etc)...

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby luvmypitties » July 19th, 2007, 8:07 pm

Ok now another question regarding Ellie. She doesnt listen to my boyfriend at all. I have told him to get not mean but firm with her, and everytime he does she thinks he is playing with her. He has never played rough with her and definetly not with a loud stern voice. I just walk over to her and she is cowering and listens to whatever I say. I gave him the leash with her prong on and instructed him on how to correct her for not listening to him. He doesnt give a hard correction at all, I think he is scared. I keep saying do it harder. She listened to him eventually but it needs to be how she listens to me, sitting right away, laying down when told and so forth. She just doesnt take him seriously. And we are going to be moving back in together and she needs to listen to him like the others do. Any opinion??
Tina

luvmypitties
I live here

Postby katiek0417 » July 20th, 2007, 7:41 am

On July 19 2007, 7:07 PM, luvmypitties wrote:Ok now another question regarding Ellie. She doesnt listen to my boyfriend at all. I have told him to get not mean but firm with her, and everytime he does she thinks he is playing with her. He has never played rough with her and definetly not with a loud stern voice. I just walk over to her and she is cowering and listens to whatever I say. I gave him the leash with her prong on and instructed him on how to correct her for not listening to him. He doesnt give a hard correction at all, I think he is scared. I keep saying do it harder. She listened to him eventually but it needs to be how she listens to me, sitting right away, laying down when told and so forth. She just doesnt take him seriously. And we are going to be moving back in together and she needs to listen to him like the others do. Any opinion??

I hate to say this, but Ellie may take a while before she listens to your boyfriend the way she listens to you. Take Jue and Asja as an example. They were Greg's dogs....when he's around, they could care less about what I have to say...the difference is that when it's just me, they almost listen to me better than they listen to him...

Everything I typically do with them is calm, but if they act up, I am quick to give a verbal correciton and raise my voice...Greg, however, yells at them alot (b/c he expects more from them, etc)...but if I yell at one of them in the house, it's like "uh oh, mommy is mad."

See, they know me as the treat lady. I won them over by playing with them (and mixing in some obedience) and working them with food...when Greg wasn't home...I did everything nice and calm....

So, now, they know I'll be nice and calm with them, and they know I'll give a reward sometimes (other than just loves) so when I tell them to do something, they do it...

I think your boyfriend needs to work with Ellie the same way. But it's harder when you're around b/c Ellie is thinking "Wait, why should I listen to you, Mom is the enforcer of behaviors." Once she figures out that daddy can also enforce, she'll listen better...

He also needs to be willing to correct her...have him put the prong around his arm, then give him a "correction" the same you give her one...he'll see that it doesn't hurt/break skin/whatever...then explain to him that the skin on Ellie's neck is stronger than the skin on his arm, and he saw how it felt on that thinner piece of skin...so, for Ellie, it's not even that, but enough to make a point....

Keep in mind that it might take a long time to actually listen to him when you're around...

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby iluvk9 » July 20th, 2007, 9:16 am

On July 19 2007, luvmypitties wrote:And we are going to be moving back in together and she needs to listen to him like the others do. Any opinion??

Dump the boyfriend. I don't like him. :greenWave:
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby luvmypitties » July 20th, 2007, 11:23 pm

Things are getting better between the boy and me. We have had some really rough times since I last talked to you about him. He is really good with my dogs. He was very patient when Ellie didnt like him at all and would growl at him. She likes him now.

I think when we move back in together he will have more time with Ellie without me. I will instruct him on how to correct her correctly and her different commands. I guess it will take more time. How does he overcome the fact that Ellie thinks he wants to play when he raises his voice when giving a verbal correction? If I were to do that she would probably yelp or cower down almost into the ground!
Tina

luvmypitties
I live here

Postby katiek0417 » July 21st, 2007, 12:03 am

On July 20 2007, 10:23 PM, luvmypitties wrote:
I think when we move back in together he will have more time with Ellie without me. I will instruct him on how to correct her correctly and her different commands. I guess it will take more time. How does he overcome the fact that Ellie thinks he wants to play when he raises his voice when giving a verbal correction? If I were to do that she would probably yelp or cower down almost into the ground!

Honestly, he's going to have to train it...giving the verbal correction along with the pinch correction...that way she'll realize what it sounds like...

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby amazincc » July 21st, 2007, 3:22 pm

Can't you let your boyfriend "take over" Ellies care for a few days? You know - feeding, walking, etc. ??? Can you completely "ignore" her and let him take care of all her needs?
This way she might get the picture that there's another pack-leader in the house, and her behavior might change w/out you guys having to resort to... you know... all the corrections, and what-not.
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby luvmypitties » July 21st, 2007, 4:00 pm

My boyfriend and I dont live together yet. We will soon. So I guess it will all have to wait til then. I told him the stuff you guys told me to have hi try, he said you guys probably think he is a sissy becuase he was scared to hurt Ellie too much with her 'be a good girl' collar. I said, just a little but it is ok! lol!!
Tina

luvmypitties
I live here

Postby amazincc » July 21st, 2007, 4:05 pm

I didn't think he was a sissy... I'd rather have someone be a little afraid to hurt my dog than have someone be too harsh and gung-ho...
I think it will work out great, as long as he earns Ellie's respect and trust... everything else will follow...

Good luck to both of you! :)
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Return to Training & Behavior