Pack Order

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby SisMorphine » July 19th, 2007, 11:07 pm

A dog who is very forward with it's dominant behavior: with humping, pushing other dogs out of food bowls, etc etc etc, aren't actually dominants, they are wanna-be dominants.

My old Dutchie would mount, chest bump, and do other such things to the dogs in the yard. People would sit and say "Wow, he's dominant." No, no he wasn't. That dog was a pussy. He just WANTED to be dominant and was a brat about it. He never even TRIED any of that poop with Wally. Not once.

A truly dominant dog isn't pushy. S/he walks into the room and immediately everyone there knows who is in charge. S/he will lie down on the best bed and the other dogs will walk around. If anyone gets too close they will get a correction, but I have found correction barking/growling/snapping to be MUCH different than guarding behaviors (which are fear based). It is very rare to find a truly dominant dog.

If the dog is pushy, it is a dominant wanna-be and the other dogs are just more submissive and do not care if the dog is truly dominant or is just acting that way. A dominant wanna-be is a bully. THAT is something that I do not accept/allow. A dog who bullies other dogs simply to be an a$$ is a dog who is going to hear from me about it.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby DemoDick » July 20th, 2007, 9:34 am

I generally tell anyone involved with bull breeds who are trying to enforce pack order among the dogs themselves to forget it. Just crate and separate. It's just safer.

Our dogs are never out three at a time. Ever. Connor and Riggs are DA and dominant. We will let one male out with Ruby at a time, because she has always been non-reactive to them. But that's it.

Demo Dick
"My first priority will be to reinstate the assault weapons ban PERMANENTLY as soon as I take office...I intend to work with Congress on a national no carry law, 1 gun a month purchase limits, and bans on all semi-automatic guns."-Barack Obama
"When in doubt, whip it out."-Nuge
DemoDick
They Like to Fondle My Gun

Postby brooksybrooks1 » July 20th, 2007, 6:08 pm

about the dominant wannabees being pussies-that's awesome, i totally agree! my boss' gsd drigon is alpha, the kind that walks into a room and owns it, but never really has to pull rank on anyone because they just know who's boss. one time brooks tried to mount him (stupid-brooks is socially inept i think) and drig just turned around immediately and gave him this really deep growl. brooks is usually the dog that if you give him a chance he's gonna puff up his chest and be a jerk to another dog, needs constant supervision or he'll start being a dick, but...

lets just say brooks dropped down to the ground immediately and wet himself. what a baby! drig has never had to say or do anything else since, and i feel like brooks respects him and minds his manners around drig moreso than anyone or anything else! i always joke with my boss that i would love to borrow drig for the night so he can come home and give me a night off of keeping my crazies in line!
brooksybrooks1
Loyally Bully

Postby katiek0417 » July 20th, 2007, 6:21 pm

On July 19 2007, 10:07 PM, SisMorphine wrote:A truly dominant dog isn't pushy. S/he walks into the room and immediately everyone there knows who is in charge. S/he will lie down on the best bed and the other dogs will walk around. If anyone gets too close they will get a correction, but I have found correction barking/growling/snapping to be MUCH different than guarding behaviors (which are fear based). It is very rare to find a truly dominant dog.

Jue is a truly dominant dog....other dogs can tell just by the way he carries himself...and I love that about him...
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby Scout » July 20th, 2007, 9:24 pm

I think it's safe for me to say that neither of my dogs are truly dominat dog. And I think that's why it's a little confusing for me. I asked my boyfriend what he thought and he thinks Cookie is the dominat one and just puts up with his antics b/c he's a puppy. But he thinks that may change later on. I dunno. :| I'm going to talk to our trainer tomorrow and see what she thinks since she knows both dogs.
Scout
Welcome Wagger

Postby SisMorphine » July 21st, 2007, 9:56 am

On July 20 2007, 5:21 PM, katiek0417 wrote:Jue is a truly dominant dog....other dogs can tell just by the way he carries himself...and I love that about him...

Wally is too and I just LOVE watching how he acts around other dogs and how they act around him. We usually throw Wally in the yard if we have a new dog who may be fearful as I've found it's easier to intro a new dog to a pack when there is someone there who is going to enforce social rules. Wally is DEFINITELY the enforcer . . . or more commonly known as The Fun Police.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby Beth » July 21st, 2007, 10:10 am

After reading through this thread, I am going to have to start paying attention to things in my house. We have 5 here, 3 females and 2 males. DH and I are 1 and 2 all the time, but I never really payed attention to how the dogs handle themselves.
Mom to
Blaze 3/17/93 - 3/30/07
Onyx b 3/7/99
Duchess b 3/12/02 r 9/18/02
Rifle b 12/1/02 r 8/8/03
Diamond b 5/3/05 a 8/3/05
Luka r 5/16/07
Dixie b 10/20/06 a 4/1/08
Beth
Enlightened Bully

Previous

Return to Training & Behavior