Focus

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby maberi » July 17th, 2007, 2:51 pm

I am working on Earl's "focus". Basically when I say focus, I want Earl to look at me and hold his focus on my face. He is doing well with this but I'm having trouble lengthening the time that he holds his focus. When I ask him to focus he will look at me but the longer I wait the more agitated he gets and he assumes I want him to do something else. He usually ends up barking or going into a down trying to figure out what I want.

Do i just need to reduce the time I am having him hold his focus and gradually work up to longer periods of time? If so, how do I accomplish this without actually losing focus.
Last edited by maberi on July 17th, 2007, 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
maberi
I Save My Empty Calories For The Bottle

Postby katiek0417 » July 17th, 2007, 3:07 pm

Give him treats while he is focusing on you to reinforce that is what you want....don't let him look away between treats....

Tell him to focus, take food from your chin to the dogs mouth...this establishes the food coming from where he should be looking....as you give him the treat "good focus," then immediately say "focus" again...then reinforce....

Also, does your dog where a pinch collar?
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby maberi » July 17th, 2007, 3:34 pm

Yes, Earl wears a pinch collar.

Michelle showed me a trick of spitting the treat from my mouth which has worked very well but if he misses the treat he will break his focus in this case. Are you suggesting keeping my hand near my chin or moving my hand up to my chin and out towards him in the middle of the focus?
maberi

Postby katiek0417 » July 17th, 2007, 4:04 pm

I didn't know your dog caught food :)

Since the dog wears a pinch collar, you should proof this behavior, just like you do any other.

If you spit the food and he misses it, then looks away...straight upwards correction (put a leash on the collar)....

Focus is a behavior just like sit....the dog needs to learn that if he doesn't do it, there are consequences....

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby iluvk9 » July 17th, 2007, 5:09 pm

Uh, maybe you should work on your spitting technique, Matthew. :wave:
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby maberi » July 17th, 2007, 5:38 pm

On July 17 2007, iluvk9 wrote:Uh, maybe you should work on your spitting technique, Matthew. :wave:

Yes, I have tried practicing this by sitting on the couch and spitting tobacco juice into a can but the wife always seems to ruin my fun with her yelling.
maberi

Postby iluvk9 » July 17th, 2007, 5:40 pm

Jackass....

LMAO
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby billwoo » July 17th, 2007, 8:50 pm

try spitting treats at your wife. If she loses focus then the problem is your technique.
billwoo
Just Whelped

Postby maberi » July 17th, 2007, 8:53 pm

Ha, that actually got a good chuckle out of me :)

On July 17 2007, billwoo wrote:try spitting treats at your wife. If she loses focus then the problem is your technique.
maberi

Postby iluvk9 » July 18th, 2007, 10:47 am

On July 17 2007, billwoo wrote:try spitting treats at your wife. If she loses focus then the problem is your technique.

Another comedian.... 8) 8)
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby Scout » July 18th, 2007, 1:24 pm

Training your dog to focus on you inside the house will eventually lead them to focus on you when they are outside of the house correct? At the moment, when Cookie and I are walking, she is not interested in me, or her treats. She'd rather go find other dogs to play with and drag me along with her.

If it's focus we need to work on, then it will be something I will definitely incorporate more in her training.
Scout
Welcome Wagger

Postby katiek0417 » July 18th, 2007, 3:20 pm

On July 18 2007, 12:24 PM, Scout wrote:Training your dog to focus on you inside the house will eventually lead them to focus on you when they are outside of the house correct? At the moment, when Cookie and I are walking, she is not interested in me, or her treats. She'd rather go find other dogs to play with and drag me along with her.

If it's focus we need to work on, then it will be something I will definitely incorporate more in her training.

Also, make sure you do it without distractions around...once she is doing it reliably without distractions, then you can start to put distractions in there...remember, you have to walk before you can run....

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Return to Training & Behavior