Post-Surgery Check-Up...

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby randi81 » July 16th, 2007, 7:45 pm

WOOOHOOO go Mick!! It's always nice to hear (or read) progress!
-Randi.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body; but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
randi81
Full of Bully

Postby Malli » July 20th, 2007, 6:18 am

hi Christine :)

I was actually able to talk to a Doctor at work, and she said that although Domitor does drop heart and respiration rate quite low, it is a relatively safe drug, especially if the dog needs to be able to be up and walking within a relatively short period of time, it is a especially ideal in your situation because it does not have to be given intravenously.
As for the Ace, she said unfortunately there aren't really any other oral sedative options...

So, it does sound like your current strategy is really the best and only option. My only thought is that perhaps you could ask if you could give Mickey more Atravet, as I don't know his exact weight or the dose range I can't say for sure he's had his max dose, and he may do better with more (if it is within the dose range!)

I wish I had some better options for you :|
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby amazincc » July 20th, 2007, 12:43 pm

Oh, thanks so much, Malli, for checking into it in the first place... I really appreciate it. :)
Mick weights 64.5 pounds and takes 50mg of Ace 2 hours before each vet visit... but I really think it makes him more anxious instead of calming him down... :|
Before our last check-up I didn't give him anything, and he seemed to be less "on the offense" - even the vet tech who usually deals w/us commented on how much better our last appointment went.
Fortunately Mick is pretty healthy, and we don't need another check-up until October...
Thanks again! :wink:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby Malli » July 20th, 2007, 12:54 pm

typical reactions to ace include the dog not even acting like they've had any, the same but acting as before in a drunken manner, to most commonly very quiet or unable to walk. I have to wonder if perhaps he's at quite a low dose :|

At any rate, less drugs are better, and if he seems to do ok without them I'd go with that :thumbsup:
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby amazincc » July 20th, 2007, 6:28 pm

Hmm... he did "act" like he hadn't taken any, but walked like he was drunk. He also got very "combative" (lunging at people and nothing!), and was shaking/drooling and seemed extremely anxious. And very, very clingy - to the point of fighting to get on my lap, and following me around the house for hours after-wards... I think the "out-of-control" feeling he might get by taking the pills really frightens and upsets him.

The last time I skipped the pills, and he was way calmer... not friendly, but not lunging/growling/snarling and/or overly anxious. He still wanted to sit on my lap, but he wasn't in such a frenzy about it...
He is always wearing a muzzle, and the sedative is a necessary evil, but our eye vet is okay w/us not giving the Ace, and so is our favorite vet tech.
I know that some people/dogs don't react the way they should to some meds... Ace seems to have the opposite effect on Mick, and I was really surprised at the difference in his behavior without it. In the meantime - we will practice our "social skills" as often as possible, and come October, we might behave just as well, or better... :wink:

Thanks again for your help, Malli! :)
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby Malli » July 21st, 2007, 12:19 am

On July 20 2007, amazincc wrote:Hmm... he did "act" like he hadn't taken any, but walked like he was drunk. He also got very "combative" (lunging at people and nothing!), and was shaking/drooling and seemed extremely anxious. And very, very clingy - to the point of fighting to get on my lap, and following me around the house for hours after-wards... I think the "out-of-control" feeling he might get by taking the pills really frightens and upsets him.

I've had a doctor mention this before with some dogs. I've also definitely seen it happen myself, though not very often...

You're more then welcome :)
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby doberkim » July 21st, 2007, 8:18 pm

On July 15 2007, 12:00 AM, Malli wrote:
On July 13 2007, amazincc wrote:Oh, I didn't know that about the sedation... I do know that I would love to NOT pay 90 bucks each time though... :shock:
On my statement it says "Domitor/Antisedan IV Sed"... does that mean anything to you? He's also supposed to take 2 25mg tablets of Ace Promazine two hours before each vet visit (and still gets an injection when we get there...), but it seems to make his anxiety worse - he pants, drools and shakes for a few hours each time he takes them.
Today was actually the first time Mick vomited afterwards, and I thought that might've happened because I didn't give him any tranquilizers first... :|

I love the staff at that office... they all poke their heads in to say "hi" and ask how he's doing, and I would never expect them to put themselves in harms (teeth) way... I am very realistic about Mickeys behavior, and we all know that he can be unpredictable. Believe me, I am very appreciative that a vet sees him at all... :oops:

From what I understand, Domitor drops the hear rate quite drastically; I'd never heard of it, and one time a client requested we use it on their dog, the vet I was working with refused, stating the above reason. He probably vomited simply because Domitor is an anesthetic, thats my guess anyway - did you fast him before his visit today? He may be acting like that because the Ace isn't dosed high enough, or he simply doesn't take it well and it does, in fact make him anxious. Have you mentioned your concerns with the Ace? He may not be at his full dose, so if he isn't, you could try a higher one, or ask them if there is an alternative. Or, I could ask at work if the techs have any suggestions for you?
It is a bit of a bind, because I fully understand the vet and staff's need to have something heavy enough to make sure he can't hurt them...

As far as I'm concerned you are managing your dog in his current state very well, and you are trying to fix his behavioral problems : you're an upstanding client :)

I've used Domitor almost daily for 2 years and we haven't had any real problems (save for 3 dogs that needed second dosings). Tufts University vet school uses it for all their orthopedic xrays, I use it combined with other drugs for kitty magic - on those cats I simply cannot touch, as I find it MUCH safer than telazol.

I have no problem using Domitor on an animal that has no heart issues that I can do an exam on - it does drop blood pressure, but I have never seen it drop an animal dangerously low. I use it combined with hydromorphone for orthopedic xrays, as well as on my own animal when I needed to suture my dogs ear closed after he tore it and I was alone in the middle of the night.

Most animals that are truly dangerous in the vet clinic are not TOUCHED by acepromazine, no matter how high we dose it. The most I have been able to do is get the ace dose high enough (oftentimes combined with alprazolam/xanax) that I can GIVE the domitor IM.

Personally, I don't have any problem with Domitor, and the reversal is virtually immediate if you give it IV. That is the precise reason I DO use it - because I can reverse it partially, fully, or not at all. Animals are not dysphoric, there is actually some degree of pain control with the domitor, and it is effective given IM, combined with the reversal potential.
ARCH Bowie's Semper Fidelis v DRU, CD RN RL3 ATT WAC TT CGC (2/3 CD-H, 1/3 D-CD, 6/10 RL1X, 5/10 RL2X)
Beja's Bombs Away v Bowie, RN PTT CGC
http://otchrah.blogspot.com/
doberkim
Just Whelped

Postby amazincc » July 21st, 2007, 8:27 pm

On July 21 2007, 7:18 PM, doberkim wrote:[quote="[url=http://www.pitbulltalk.com//viewtopic.php?
Most animals that are truly dangerous in the vet clinic are not TOUCHED by acepromazine, no matter how high we dose it. The most I have been able to do is get the ace dose high enough (oftentimes combined with alprazolam/xanax) that I can GIVE the domitor IM.

I'm able to control Mickey much better without the Ace... he's manageable enough to have the vet/vet tech administer the shot while I hold him, plus he's muzzled...
Thanks for the explanation - I appreciate it. :)
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby pitbullmamaliz » July 22nd, 2007, 8:24 am

I know nothing about any of these drugs, but on one of the Yahoo groups I'm on, they've been talking about how Ace slows down the body but not the mind - I would think that would be really hard on a dog to still be terrified/anxious but not be able to do anything about it.
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby Malli » July 22nd, 2007, 2:34 pm

On July 22 2007, pitbullmamaliz wrote:I know nothing about any of these drugs, but on one of the Yahoo groups I'm on, they've been talking about how Ace slows down the body but not the mind - I would think that would be really hard on a dog to still be terrified/anxious but not be able to do anything about it.

most of them do absolutely fine on it, they just go to sleep or mellow right out (I've literally heard quite a few snoring) :| Its also used in a combo pre-anesthetic med with a light analgesic that we use at the hospital for 95% of our surgery patients (the "regular" scheduled day surgery patients from 16 different Doctors and clinics, plus a large portion of our emergency surgery patients - so we would definitely see complications and issues...
E-I-E-I-O!

Previous

Return to Training & Behavior