Confining Dogs to Certain Areas

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby maberi » July 3rd, 2007, 3:17 pm

Do any of the members out there section off specific areas of your dwelling where the dogs are allowed?

Right now the dogs are allowed anywhere in the house when we are home and I have been throwing around the idea of trying to setup specific areas of the house where they are only allowed.

With 3 dogs and 1 cat, our house is starting to take a toll.

I would be interested to see if anyone has had any luck with this.

Thanks
Matt
maberi
I Save My Empty Calories For The Bottle

Postby Marinepits » July 3rd, 2007, 3:29 pm

I have the whole mostly-finished basement set up specifically for the dogs. That's where we have their crates, toys, and food, and there is a huge area that they can run around in. There is one small area where we have our exercise equipment, but the rest of the room is completely dog-friendly.

They all do have the run of the house while we're home, but it's nice to be able to pop them downstairs and let them "act the fool" and I don't have to worry about scratched furniture, dents in the wall, etc.

The only room they are not allowed to play in is the master bedroom. As much as I love those crazy mutts, I'd be furious if my velvet comforter was ruined. :D

We also had the garage set-up as dog friendly, but the hard top to the Jeep is now taking up most of the space, LOL.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby iluvk9 » July 3rd, 2007, 3:38 pm

On July 03 2007, maberi wrote:With 3 dogs and 1 cat, our house is starting to take a toll.

Try having a pony in the house. :giggle:

I use baby gates to keep them out of the rooms I have just cleaned, in the hopes that the room will remain fur-free for at least 15 minutes. Since most of the time they are allowed in all rooms, it seems to work for me, and them. If there is a baby gate up, no one tries to jump it (or step over it.)

One is always in the front door when I have the door open and the screen locked. Again, none of them have realized they can plow through it. :|

I bought them at Walmart for about $10., I think. I have 4.

When I am not home, they just prefer to stay in their dog den where the twin bed, crate, toys, etc. are located. I don't even put the baby gate up.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby Wyldmoonwoman » July 3rd, 2007, 3:42 pm

I do have my house sectioned off, mostly to protect the cat, she has no desire to cross the gate into the land of the dog stink.

Dogs are allowed on the enclosed back porch, kitchen, family room and in my husbands office. If invited my daughter lets dogs sleep upstairs in her bedroom.

The cat has free roam of the rest of the house, 3 bedrooms, two bathrooms and the dining room...I have a gate set-up between the kitchen and the rest of the house.

Sectioning the house has not only been good for my carpets, it has been great for new fosters...I keep them in the dining room so that we can exit out the front door to go to the bathroom and avoid the common dog areas...once everyone has been introduced I let them move into the dog areas.
"If I were not a man, I would like to be a bird. As I am a man, I do the next best thing, and ride a bicycle." -- Rev. Maltie, a cyclist in the late 1800s
Wyldmoonwoman
Full of Bully

Postby maberi » July 3rd, 2007, 3:43 pm

Where do you guys put the dogs at night? Crate, bed with you, floor next to the bed, etc...?
maberi

Postby iluvk9 » July 3rd, 2007, 3:44 pm

I sleep with 2 dogs, one small pony and my husband. :) Although Harleybird usually prefers his dog bed next to our bed.

NILF? I think not.....
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby maberi » July 3rd, 2007, 3:48 pm

The pony fits in your bed with you? Now that is something I have to see
maberi

Postby iluvk9 » July 3rd, 2007, 3:50 pm

On July 03 2007, maberi wrote:The pony fits in your bed with you? Now that is something I have to see

Everyone has a spot. My Little Pony sleeps curled up at the bottom of my feet. Sort of.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby Marinepits » July 3rd, 2007, 4:06 pm

At night, Mac and Tucker sleep in their kennels/crates. The other three sleep where ever they want to. If the hubby isn't home, Indy will sleep in the bed and sometimes Katy will sleep on the hubby's pillow.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby Wyldmoonwoman » July 3rd, 2007, 4:09 pm

Dogs sleep in crates unless invited to sleep in bed with my daughter
"If I were not a man, I would like to be a bird. As I am a man, I do the next best thing, and ride a bicycle." -- Rev. Maltie, a cyclist in the late 1800s
Wyldmoonwoman
Full of Bully

Postby amazincc » July 3rd, 2007, 4:13 pm

Are there any pics of this anywhere, Joyce??? :o

I only have a baby gate at the front door... the dogs have the run of the house. When I'm not home they are either in separate rooms, or one is crated while the other one has the living room and the kitchen... I don't really know why - it just works out that way... :)
At night... Daisy sleeps w/my daughter, problem child sleeps w/me... or on my chair... or on the couch... or... well, you get the point... wherever he pleases... :D
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby Malli » July 3rd, 2007, 4:30 pm

Oscar is not allowed in our bedroom. He would be, except the bf has the excuse of allergies. Because Os has never really been in the bedroom, he doesn't even really try, he know where the carpet ends at the door is the border. Other then that, he sleeps out of the crate and usually on his bed ; sometimes I crate him, just to keep up the crate training.

Malli
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby randi81 » July 3rd, 2007, 5:06 pm

On July 03 2007, 3:43 PM, maberi wrote:Where do you guys put the dogs at night? Crate, bed with you, floor next to the bed, etc...?

Saydee sleeps in her crate. Cory and I are both bed hogs, so there's just no room for a 60lb dog. Not only that, but she likes to dig at the pillows/blanket/duck in her crate until she's comfy.... and that just isn't happening to my sheets. :D

-Randi.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body; but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
randi81
Full of Bully

Postby iluvk9 » July 3rd, 2007, 5:35 pm

On July 03 2007, amazincc wrote:Are there any pics of this anywhere, Joyce??? :o

Are you trying to get nekkid photos of my husband, Chickie? Cause it ain't happening. :wink:
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby luvmypitties » July 3rd, 2007, 7:26 pm

My dogs are pretty much allowed anywhere in the house. We used to use baby gates but Jake pulled down 3 of them, one which was in the stud with the longest screw we could find. After that we gave up on those. And Ellie found it to easy to jump over.

At night Ellie is the only one who is allowed in the bed. Jake is on the couch and Roscoe is in his crate next to my bed. My room is set up for the animals. I have 6 kittens in there(and that includes 2 litter boxes. I do a lot of cleaning all the time so it doesnt smell. Hopefully they will be gone here soon!!!) and 3 dog crates. Jake's great dane sized crate is downstairs in the basement with the other cats' stuff!
Tina
Our thoughts and prayers are with Mick and Christine! We love you both!

RIP my precious Noah! You are greatly missed and still so loved!!! 7-12-06-- 2-21-07
RIP Abby! I always loved you!
luvmypitties
I live here

Postby mnp13 » July 3rd, 2007, 11:33 pm

There is one bedroom that is 100% off limits to the cats so that people who are allergic can still sleep over. My room is off limits because it's a mess. The rest of the house is open. The cats get to their room in the basement through a trap door in the back hall.

Ruby sleeps in the bed with us, Riggs sleeps on the floor on nights when Connor is in his crate. When Connor is out, Riggs sleeps in the crate in our bedroom. Connor sleeps in the bed when he's not in the crate, Riggs is only allowed on the bed on very rare occasions. The cats sleep anywhere they want to.

When we are not home the dogs are crated in their room and the cats are left out.

Pavarotti is always in his tank.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby SisMorphine » July 4th, 2007, 7:21 am

Dogs have free roam of my little almost-studio room. They are also allowed in the livingroom basement (where I used to live) but we close the doors to the two storage rooms because Teeny thinks those are great places to poop and steal stuff and we put a babygate in the doorway to the furnace room as she has taken to drinking the water out of the dehumidifier which is filled with heavy metals (of the non-hair band variety) which is baaaaaaaaaaad. I also keep the door to the bathroom closed because Teeny will trash pick and obsessively lick the shower.

Upstairs in my parent's house they're only supposed to be on the hardwood floors and on the runners. Mom's rug is off limits, but Teeny ignores her and runs across it anyway. I think the day that Teeny makes a mark on it is the day that either my mother has a heart attack or she kills me. When I had Mike Wally was the only dog allowed in my parent's house, but now that he's gone (my mother hated my big bear) Teeny is allowed upstairs to rape and pillage the house in true pirate fashion. Unfortunately for my mom's rug it is an open floor plan so there's no way to block off the livingroom area and most items that have been pillaged end up in a pile on the rug under the coffee table.

Wally sleeps in bed with me, or should I say, Wally allows me to sleep in bed with him, and Teeny sleeps in her crate. She slept out the other night as my friend slept over and wanted to snuggle with her, but at 5 am she tried to crawl into bed with me, Wally corrected the hell out of her, she jumped off my bed and puked on my favorite rug. THAT is just one reason why Teeny sleeps in her crate.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby juniper8204 » July 10th, 2007, 5:32 pm

My two Danes stay in the living room with the couches during the day while I'm at work...there are locking doors to keep them in that area, and my pittie stays in her crate in the den. When I'm home, I let them go in the living room, den, and kitchen, but bedrooms/bathrooms are off limits until bedtime.

At bedtime, my pittie sleeps with me and my husband and the two Danes sleep on the floor. It works out pretty good, but I'm looking forward to adopting out my foster Dane so the house won't be so cramped.
Jen
Mommy to Mindy Lou and Moose

Pits are addicting!!! If I foster any more, my husband will have my head!
juniper8204
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Return to Training & Behavior