Muzzles

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby katiek0417 » June 28th, 2007, 9:49 pm

On June 28 2007, 4:29 PM, amazincc wrote:Try the ones at http://www.fordogtrainers.com/index.asp ... gory=206... they are super-sturdy and comfortable, and they fit very well! Also only $30.00 which is a good price for a muzzle like that... :)

If we're not allowed to post links, please remove it... :oops:

I actually referred her to fordogtrainers...I love their muzzles...I have an awesome agitation muzzle from them...
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby amazincc » June 28th, 2007, 10:18 pm

Oh, good...
I love their products, very pit bull "friendly" and very sturdy! I got the coolest harness there... :)
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby katiek0417 » June 29th, 2007, 5:30 am

On June 28 2007, 9:18 PM, amazincc wrote:Oh, good...
I love their products, very pit bull "friendly" and very sturdy! I got the coolest harness there... :)

Now, I had a problem with one of their harnesses...I had it for my lab (for bitework and tracking)...she snapped the leather....

Like I said, though, I love the agitation muzzle I got...and the other thing I love about their site is that they have the fur-saver martingales, fur savers, and prong collars in brass and curogan!!!! I haven't been able to find them anywhere else....

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby amazincc » June 29th, 2007, 6:08 am

On June 29 2007, 4:30 AM, katiek0417 wrote:

Now, I had a problem with one of their harnesses...I had it for my lab (for bitework and tracking)...she snapped the leather....

They replaced it, I hope? I got the All-Weather harness w/the handle... so far, so good. And I love those fursaver collars as well... my border collie has really long hair, and they are great for her.
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby katiek0417 » June 29th, 2007, 9:19 am

On June 29 2007, 5:08 AM, amazincc wrote:
On June 29 2007, 4:30 AM, katiek0417 wrote:

They replaced it, I hope? I got the All-Weather harness w/the handle... so far, so good. And I love those fursaver collars as well... my border collie has really long hair, and they are great for her.

Yes, they did...they have very good customer service! It takes some time to get the stuff (I think it took a little over a week for the muzzle)...but I've always been so happy with their stuff that it didn't matter.

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby brooksybrooks1 » July 12th, 2007, 4:08 pm

eek-i don't like to see a pit with a muzzle. although i think you are being responsible and cautious, i think it would be much more beneficial to get some serious training and rehabilitation in. i always think it's better to control than prevent, if that makes sense, teach the dog the right behavior rather than mechanically preventing the wrong one, because the mindset is still there, they just can't act on it with muzzles, and i would prefer the mindset be gone altogether instead. also, whether your dog is the nicest one in the world or not, a muzzle on a dog always means that dog is "mean, aggressive, scary" to the public, and ESPECIALLY on a pit! sad truth!
brooksybrooks1
Loyally Bully

Postby amazincc » July 12th, 2007, 5:09 pm

I would LOVE to experiment on the neighbors, but they're not having it... :D

Personally, when I see any dog w/a muzzle on, I think "Good Owner" for taking precautions AND recognizing the dogs potential for aggression... I also know that not all muzzled dogs are dangerous, but that it makes non-dog lovers sometimes "feel" safer...
Really, once you start worrying about what people "think" it just about paralyzes your daily activities, doesn't it?
My dog wears a muzzle outside, but that doesn't mean I don't try to train/control him... I'd rather do that than have him end up in the pound for biting someone.
The "public" needs to get a grip... :P
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby brooksybrooks1 » July 12th, 2007, 6:43 pm

logistically i agree with all of that, i know it's not a big deal for a dog to wear a muzzle, however with regards to pitbulls i do care what people think, as it has already done so much damage and proven to escalate to much larger than just thinking it. it turns into action. i think this is why it's important to be proactive about the image, not that any of you aren't being, but it's just so sensitive, you know, and i just feel like it should be avoided as much as possible and more like a last resort for pitbulls in particular. it is of course responsible to take every precaution to keep you, your dog, and others safe, i just wish this wasn't a part of it.
brooksybrooks1
Loyally Bully

Postby luvmypitties » July 12th, 2007, 8:38 pm

Ellie will only wear a muzzle when necessary, we are working on getting her focus on me not other dogs. She did very well the other day when we were in an empty field outside the vets office (its like behind it away from where dogs walk by and what not) and a guy came up to me with 3 pitbulls!!!! Ellie's first reaction was to look at me! I was so happy I could have cried. The guy asked me lots of questions and I gave him lots of lectures on his dogs and everything 9long story) and invited him here. Not sure if he will come after what I said to him but I told him he would find lots of info and other advice on here. Back to Ellie, the whole time we were talking she was in a sit next to me. She kept looking up at me and then the dogs and back to me. I pet her and told her she was a good girl. Never once did she giveher whiney cry or anything. I was so excited!!!!

So ellie's muzzle will be a precaution for when we do training or go some place like the vets office where people dont do a good job of holding their dogs. When I meet different owners at the local dog park (mine dont go there but I do) I have talked to a couple people about allowing me to train with her around their dogs and explain why I muzzle and everything. That way they know I am doing the right thing by muzzling her for their dogs safety just in case and not that she is a vicious pitbull.
Tina
Our thoughts and prayers are with Mick and Christine! We love you both!

RIP my precious Noah! You are greatly missed and still so loved!!! 7-12-06-- 2-21-07
RIP Abby! I always loved you!
luvmypitties
I live here

Postby katiek0417 » July 12th, 2007, 8:55 pm

On July 12 2007, 7:38 PM, luvmypitties wrote:Ellie will only wear a muzzle when necessary, we are working on getting her focus on me not other dogs. She did very well the other day when we were in an empty field outside the vets office (its like behind it away from where dogs walk by and what not) and a guy came up to me with 3 pitbulls!!!! Ellie's first reaction was to look at me! I was so happy I could have cried. The guy asked me lots of questions and I gave him lots of lectures on his dogs and everything 9long story) and invited him here. Not sure if he will come after what I said to him but I told him he would find lots of info and other advice on here. Back to Ellie, the whole time we were talking she was in a sit next to me. She kept looking up at me and then the dogs and back to me. I pet her and told her she was a good girl. Never once did she giveher whiney cry or anything. I was so excited!!!!

So ellie's muzzle will be a precaution for when we do training or go some place like the vets office where people dont do a good job of holding their dogs. When I meet different owners at the local dog park (mine dont go there but I do) I have talked to a couple people about allowing me to train with her around their dogs and explain why I muzzle and everything. That way they know I am doing the right thing by muzzling her for their dogs safety just in case and not that she is a vicious pitbull.

You didn't tell us that when we spoke to you yesterday....CONGRATS!!!!

Like Greg said, you are looking out for other dogs...this makes you responsible....

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby amazincc » July 12th, 2007, 8:56 pm

Way to go, luvmypitties and Ellie! :clap:

Mickey has been a lunatic whenever someone knocks on my door, and my UPS guy usually takes 10 steps backwards when I open up... I have started to put the muzzle on Mickey and giving him the sit-stay command about 10 feet away from the front door. For the past three days he has been obeying and staying in position... and today I asked my UPS guy to throw him a treat, but to ignore him otherwise. Worked like a charm - Mick didn't even get up to get the treat until I told him he could. The muzzle definitely helps others to feel confident as well when they are around "dangerous" breeds... and, btw, my UPS guy is also afraid of the "loves-all-people-and-wants-to-slobber-them" border collie we have... but he said he'd "try" to pet her if she was muzzled... :lol3:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby luvmypitties » July 12th, 2007, 9:22 pm

On July 12 2007, 7:55 PM, katiek0417 wrote:
On July 12 2007, 7:38 PM, luvmypitties wrote:Ellie will only wear a muzzle when necessary, we are working on getting her focus on me not other dogs. She did very well the other day when we were in an empty field outside the vets office (its like behind it away from where dogs walk by and what not) and a guy came up to me with 3 pitbulls!!!! Ellie's first reaction was to look at me! I was so happy I could have cried. The guy asked me lots of questions and I gave him lots of lectures on his dogs and everything 9long story) and invited him here. Not sure if he will come after what I said to him but I told him he would find lots of info and other advice on here. Back to Ellie, the whole time we were talking she was in a sit next to me. She kept looking up at me and then the dogs and back to me. I pet her and told her she was a good girl. Never once did she giveher whiney cry or anything. I was so excited!!!!

Like Greg said, you are looking out for other dogs...this makes you responsible....

I forgot to tell you, I guess I was completely stressed after what happened yesterday! I told greg when I was on the phone with him. sorry I left you out, I feel bad now!!!
Tina

RIP my precious Noah! You are greatly missed and still so loved!!! 7-12-06-- 2-21-07
luvmypitties
I live here

Postby luvmypitties » July 12th, 2007, 9:23 pm

And thanks. I was beside myself over it. I am so proud of her, and we have only been to two training sessions with her and practiced this around dogs she knows and plays with (our other 5 dogs). She got some extra food in her bowl that night.
Tina

luvmypitties
I live here

Postby amazincc » July 12th, 2007, 9:36 pm

Now tell me your secret! Other than "Hard Work", "Consistency" and all that... how'd you do it??? What's the secret word? :) :wink:
Does Ellie know the "watch me" command?
Mickey is having a hard time grasping the concept... and I'm having a hard time teaching it to him... :sad2:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby pitbullmamaliz » July 12th, 2007, 9:45 pm

Tina that's great! I'm still trying to get Inara to that point - when there are dogs around, I don't exist. So I'm jealous! And like Christine said, what's the magic? :)
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby randi81 » July 13th, 2007, 10:03 am

On July 12 2007, 9:36 PM, amazincc wrote:Now tell me your secret! Other than "Hard Work", "Consistency" and all that... how'd you do it??? What's the secret word? :) :wink:
Mickey is having a hard time grasping the concept... and I'm having a hard time teaching it to him... :sad2:

Saydee's *watch me* command is very good.. I use a clicker when I work with her. She actually grasped the hand signal (pointing to my eye with finger) faster than she got me physically saying "watch me". I clicked when her eyes met my eyes... and gradually increased the time.

A bit OT.. but isn't in amusing how dogs will grasp certain commands after doing them like, 3 times? But then there are the others (sit-stay from a distance, or not pushing past me to get out the door) that make you wanna beat your head against a wall?
-Randi.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body; but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
randi81
Full of Bully

Postby katiek0417 » July 13th, 2007, 10:05 am

On July 12 2007, 8:22 PM, luvmypitties wrote:
On July 12 2007, 7:55 PM, katiek0417 wrote:

I forgot to tell you, I guess I was completely stressed after what happened yesterday! I told greg when I was on the phone with him. sorry I left you out, I feel bad now!!!

It's okay....he obviously forgot to tell me, too!!!

Now tell me your secret! Other than "Hard Work", "Consistency" and all that... how'd you do it??? What's the secret word?
Mickey is having a hard time grasping the concept... and I'm having a hard time teaching it to him...

How are you trying to do it?

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby luvmypitties » July 14th, 2007, 10:12 am

No Ellie doesnt have a watch me command. She just looks to me. I am stuck on what the secret is too. She just changed like over night. I really didnt do much with her. Like I said we went to a training session twice and worked around dogs she knew. I think Ellie and I just have a really good bond. She is always near me, always looking at me like 'what are we going to do next mom? I love her to pieces. She has had no formal training until now. And I swear when greg was handling her she looked like a pro. I was amazed at my training ability with her since she posed a challenge when she was younger being badly abused and scared of everything. Not the case anymore.

Katie should have some good tricks on how to get your dogs' focus. it involves a coordinated dog though...lol. I will let her explain it and what not so I dont mess anything up! ( Katie-I am talking about the spitting thing)
Tina

luvmypitties
I live here

Postby amazincc » July 14th, 2007, 2:05 pm

The hot dog spitting??? Mick is so uncoordinated when it comes to catching stuff... I don't think he can see well enough... and he's too goofy...
Katie and a few other people have given me some advise, but Mickey is really, really stubborn at times... he will "watch me" eat pizza, but I'm tired of running around w/a pie in my face... :( :wink:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby Jenn » July 15th, 2007, 1:35 pm

Hmmmm spitting, how lady like.. lol

;) Joking, I'd like to know what ya'll mean too.
Jenn
undecided

PreviousNext

Return to Training & Behavior