Muzzles

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby luvmypitties » June 21st, 2007, 8:33 pm

I got ellie a muzzle today. I want to be on the safe side when I go out with her until her training is better. I just wanted to get some tips on how to get her used to wearing one. I put hers on her today for a minute and she was trying to get it off. I also took some pictures of her with it on, wanted some opinions on fitting. I know it is hard to tell from pictures but tips on that would be great too. And is getting her a muzzle a good thing to do for when we go on walks, or take her to the vet or anything else that might arise? I just dont want her to seem like a 'vicious pitbull' to the public.

Tina
Our thoughts and prayers are with Mick and Christine! We love you both!

RIP my precious Noah! You are greatly missed and still so loved!!! 7-12-06-- 2-21-07
RIP Abby! I always loved you!
luvmypitties
I live here

Postby katiek0417 » June 21st, 2007, 8:39 pm

I'm not sure about the fit, but I get my dogs used to muzzles by putting it on and just letting them run around with it. I let them go outside, etc. If they are able to get it off, it's probably too big...

Does Ellie get along with Roscoe? If so, you might want to put it on, then let her play with him...it might get her mind off of it...OR, just take her out and play with her yourself....
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby luvmypitties » June 21st, 2007, 8:43 pm

She cant get it off and I can stick a finger, maybe two in with her snout in the muzzle so it is loose but not too loose. Seems like it might be a bit tight around her neck though (its one that wraps around the neck, I can make it so it doesnt but then it looks like it could slide right up over her ears.)

Ellie loves Roscoe. I will take them out and see how she does. I guess like all new things do a little at a time?
Tina

RIP my precious Noah! You are greatly missed and still so loved!!! 7-12-06-- 2-21-07
luvmypitties
I live here

Postby amazincc » June 21st, 2007, 8:49 pm

Oh... I like that one. Where'd you get it? Can she still pant/drink with it on?
I got Mickey a basket muzzle, since he has "issues" w/the outside-world... :oops:
Anyway - place a treat in the muzzle, so Ellie thinks sticking her snout in there is her idea, and do this several times a day. Also make the muzzle part of the very fun going-outside/taking-a-walk activity... does she get excited when she sees her leash? Give her lots of treats in the beginning and never use the muzzle as punishment.
A well-fitting muzzle leaves enough room for panting/drinking/eating small treats... but the dog isn't able to dislodge it w/his or her paws.
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby luvmypitties » June 21st, 2007, 8:56 pm

I ahvent had it on her long enough to see if she can pant or if she can drink. She can take treats still.

And I got this one at Petsmart. And thanks for the tips! I will definetly try them as I get her used to it!
Tina

luvmypitties
I live here

Postby amazincc » June 21st, 2007, 9:04 pm

If you plan to have Ellie wear this for longer periods of time you might want to invest in a basket style muzzle also. They are light-weight and comfortable, and IMO easier on the dog when it gets hot out. The one you got is only supposed to be worn for 20 minutes at a time (vet exam, stuff like that), whereas a basket style can be worn for longer periods of time, like on walks and/or at home.
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby luvmypitties » June 21st, 2007, 9:16 pm

The only time I need it is for the vets office or any time where she might have another encounter with a dog. We dont go on many walks here as there is no truely safe place to do so (no sidewalks here). I no longer take her to petsmart for socializing. I cant really think of any other time I would need it.
Tina

luvmypitties
I live here

Postby amazincc » June 21st, 2007, 9:30 pm

Then this one should be fine... :wink:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby randi81 » June 21st, 2007, 11:11 pm

Saydee wears one like that when she gets her nails trimmed.. she doesn't mind it at all after 5 minutes.
-Randi.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body; but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
randi81
Full of Bully

Postby mnp13 » June 22nd, 2007, 1:14 am

On June 21 2007, 20:33, luvmypitties wrote: I just dont want her to seem like a 'vicious pitbull' to the public.

A Pit Bull in a muzzle will always look that way to the public unfortunately.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby luvmypitties » June 22nd, 2007, 8:01 am

On June 22 2007, 12:14 AM, mnp13 wrote:
On June 21 2007, 20:33, luvmypitties wrote: I just dont want her to seem like a 'vicious pitbull' to the public.

Thats what I figured. She just wont be the one we take out in public to meet people. I dont want to give them a bad name, they have a bad enough one here already. I am working to change that though.
Tina

luvmypitties
I live here

Postby HappyPuppy » June 25th, 2007, 12:05 pm

On June 22 2007, mnp13 wrote:

It's too bad they don't come in some basic dog colors - brown, white, red... those would at least be less conspicuous.
HappyPuppy
Supremely Bully

Postby iluvk9 » June 25th, 2007, 12:30 pm

So do Dorky Labs...who love to wear their muzzles. (He's snoozing.)

iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby maberi » June 25th, 2007, 12:33 pm

Ha, that is great. I love that dog. Does Truman really need a muzzle or is that just his riding harness?

On June 25 2007, iluvk9 wrote:

So do Dorky Labs...who love to wear their muzzles. (He's snoozing.)

maberi
I Save My Empty Calories For The Bottle

Postby iluvk9 » June 25th, 2007, 1:51 pm

I got him accustomed to the muzzle when I realized I had to clean his flappy Lab ears for the rest of his life and he wasn't too thrilled about it. I make sure he wears it just for "play" so he never knows when it is ear cleaning day. Of course, he loves the darn thing. Even when he gets his ears cleaned.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby luvmypitties » June 25th, 2007, 9:54 pm

Ellie still hates hers. She got it off when she was wearing it around the house. I had it on tight too. Not sure how it came off, she scratched herself on her face too while doing it. Maybe it is too big??
Tina

luvmypitties
I live here

Postby DemoDick » June 25th, 2007, 10:23 pm

She got it off when she was wearing it around the house. I had it on tight too. Not sure how it came off, she scratched herself on her face too while doing it. Maybe it is too big??

Sorry to be the one to tell you this, but letting her fight the muzzle off was a big mistake. She learned that she can take it off is she's persistent enough, and will now likely try to do so whenever she gets a chance.

Was she supervised when she got it off?

Demo Dick
"My first priority will be to reinstate the assault weapons ban PERMANENTLY as soon as I take office...I intend to work with Congress on a national no carry law, 1 gun a month purchase limits, and bans on all semi-automatic guns."-Barack Obama
"When in doubt, whip it out."-Nuge
DemoDick
They Like to Fondle My Gun

Postby luvmypitties » June 25th, 2007, 10:31 pm

Yes she was in the same room as i was. She was sleeping under the desk. she was laying there fine with it on. Then I got up to get some paper (like 10 feet away) and I came back to the desk and she had it off. She hadnt been working on it when I was sitting at the desk because I had my feet on her. I just dont see how it could have come off that easily.

Katrina, do you think if I bring the muzzle with me you guys can tell me if it fits or not?

Oh and I wanted to add that in the few times she will actually need to wear it there is no way she would be able to take it off as I will be leash walking her when ever she has in on in public.
Tina

luvmypitties
I live here

Postby DemoDick » June 25th, 2007, 11:19 pm

Yes she was in the same room as i was. She was sleeping under the desk. she was laying there fine with it on. Then I got up to get some paper (like 10 feet away) and I came back to the desk and she had it off.

Not trying to be rude, but I would call that unsupervised. Supervised, for me, means directly watched or handled on-leash. As you've seen, a dog can undo what you're trying to teach in seconds.

I'm sure Greg can help you with this. Good luck.

Demo Dick
"My first priority will be to reinstate the assault weapons ban PERMANENTLY as soon as I take office...I intend to work with Congress on a national no carry law, 1 gun a month purchase limits, and bans on all semi-automatic guns."-Barack Obama
"When in doubt, whip it out."-Nuge
DemoDick
They Like to Fondle My Gun

Postby katiek0417 » June 26th, 2007, 5:50 am

On June 25 2007, 9:23 PM, DemoDick wrote:
She got it off when she was wearing it around the house. I had it on tight too. Not sure how it came off, she scratched herself on her face too while doing it. Maybe it is too big??

Sorry to be the one to tell you this, but letting her fight the muzzle off was a big mistake. She learned that she can take it off is she's persistent enough, and will now likely try to do so whenever she gets a chance.

I wouldn't say that...every single one of my dogs has gotten the muzzle off the first FEW times they wore them...I can now put them on, and they go about their daily business UNSUPERVISED, and can wear them for any extended period of time....

Sometimes it takes the dog getting the muzzle off for the owner to realize it wasn't on tight enough, etc...so, I made it tighter the next time...and I basically ignore the dog once it's on....
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Next