cutting nails

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Do you cut your dogs nails?

the groomer does it
5%
the vet does it
5%
if I have a full team of people to help me pin him
10%
as long as I have endless hotdogs to distract him
No votes
sure, no problem
67%
the tennis court does it for me (why?)
14%

Total votes : 21

Postby mnp13 » June 15th, 2007, 8:41 am

do you cut your dogs nails?
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Marinepits » June 15th, 2007, 8:48 am

Yup. They're all pretty easy to work on, except for Shorty -- I pretty much have to sit on her while I snip, but she's getting much better. :D
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby maberi » June 15th, 2007, 8:52 am

Earl and Karma are no problem

For some reason I never need to cute Yoda's. His nails are pretty brittle so they always stay short
maberi
I Save My Empty Calories For The Bottle

Postby mnp13 » June 15th, 2007, 8:52 am

I picked the tennis court.

I can cut Ruby's nails no problem. I just tell her to lie down, I roll her over and then cut them. No big deal.

I've never cut Riggs' nails and I never plan to. I can handle his feet without any major problems, but I see no reason to take the risk of cutting his nails. The day I screw up and quick him will be the last day he lets me get within 5 feet of his feet.

Tennis courts give the nails a nice smooth finish and get them to just the right length.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Wyldmoonwoman » June 15th, 2007, 8:53 am

I have never had a problem with any dog and cutting nails, or any grooming for that matter. Part of the "initiation process" at my home is a bath, exam, and nail clipping as soon as you walk in the door, it is part of my little temperament assessment, I have had dogs protest, but once they realize i am not going to stop, they submit...if they give me a hard time over nail clipping, I do one nail at a time until they are all clipped with lots of praise and affection between nails....
"If I were not a man, I would like to be a bird. As I am a man, I do the next best thing, and ride a bicycle." -- Rev. Maltie, a cyclist in the late 1800s
Wyldmoonwoman
Full of Bully

Postby Attila Magyar » June 15th, 2007, 10:36 am

Baby is an absolute terror. I have to pick her up arms extended with one arm in front of the back legs and one in front of the front legs letting the legs dangle. This is the only way so far I have been able to make it where an assistant can get her feet with the least amount of fight. It is still a bear of a fight but they get done. The rest of the dogs are no problem at all. it is the first time I have been tempted to pay a groomer to do it.
I hunt at night
Attila Magyar
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby randi81 » June 15th, 2007, 10:48 am

I often use ALL of those choices with Saydee! If I happen to be at the vet for an allergy issue or something, they'll clip them for me. I can do her front paws and dew claws myself, but she wiggles too much for me to do her back ones. I also use the tennis courts, too!
-Randi.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body; but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
randi81
Full of Bully

Postby maberi » June 15th, 2007, 11:14 am

Quick question for you guys (nail related so hopefully I'm not hijacking this thread). Yoda's nails always seem to be REALLY long but the nail is right down to the quick. Is this normal? You can sort of see his back and front nails in these pics

maberi
I Save My Empty Calories For The Bottle

Postby randi81 » June 15th, 2007, 11:17 am

Saydee's are like that, as well, and my vet told me they are fine. I INSISTED she looked like dracula with long crazy nails, but Dr. Sands insisted that I worry too much. She just said I need to file out the hollow to make them even, if that makes sense? :|
-Randi.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body; but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
randi81
Full of Bully

Postby blover27 » June 15th, 2007, 11:18 am

hmmm...i can do one by myself...one nail a day every day..the other needs a team of 5 full sized adults....so i usually just take her to the vet and laugh at them through the glass LMAO

so i didnt vote...didnt want to skew your data :D
''I'm neutral, BUT -- Not Afraid of any of them.''

http://www.pitsandpets.com
blover27
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby HappyPuppy » June 15th, 2007, 11:32 am

No one is addressing dew claws that don't get 'filed' down. We quicked Ruby's the last 2 times trimming and then let them get too long after that in avoidance. And she broke one pretty bad the other day. Had a groomer cut the remaining one the other day and she only snipped the very tip off and said to snip another bit of the tip in a week and then do that again in one more week to retrain the quick. Is this the proper procedure? We are at the beginning of a big fight about the clippers now and I'm hoping to hold that resistance where it is or reduce it a bit because a a vocalizing, writhing 45 lb dog is quite the handfull!

Edited to add - tho I hate the idea of using/wearing out tennis courts, do you use them because they are fenced (mainly, I'm sure) and/or because the surface is more forgiving than concrete? Our patios/sidewalk keeps the balance of here nails in check but the dew claw is still an issue.
HappyPuppy
Supremely Bully

Postby iluvk9 » June 15th, 2007, 11:37 am

I always clip them myself. I actually seem to have a talent for clipping squirming dogs (and cats) and when I was at the shelter, it was my "job".
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby InBearsMemory » June 15th, 2007, 11:41 am

Yes, I cut both our dogs nails. Nanuk our Husky is probably THE easiest dog when it comes to cutting nails. She just lies there and let me do my job. Loki is a little wormy at first but I usually tell him what I am about to do and he relaxes so I can cut his nails.
I only have to cut them maybe once a month because I walk them everyday and that has been keeping their nails nice and short for the most part. The only one I have to cut most of the time is the dew nail.
After we finish cutting their nails we massage some dog salve (similar to bag balm or musher's secret) on their pads and in between to keep bacteria and yeast away and to keep them conditioned. They reallly enjoy that.
Our big 120 pound Husky/Mountain dog mix Bear who passed away last year was a complete different story. He was the most gentle big boy I have ever seen but when it came to getting his nails cut he turned into a wild bronco. You literally had to sit on top of him and he was so strong he would buck you off like you were a ragdoll. I don't know why, he always HATED having his nails cut or his paws touched.
Withdrawn a step away, just to find my self.
The door is closed again, the only one left.
This storm that’s broken me my only friend.
InBearsMemory
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby mnp13 » June 15th, 2007, 11:47 am

Matt, it looks like his nails have just "grown out." The longer you let the nails get, the longer the quicks get, so it's a cycle. To get them short, you have to keep them short. Once they are too long, you can trim them right to the quick and over time that is supposed to make the quick recede.

As for the tennis courts, they are like giant emory (sp?) boards and do a great job. I can let the dogs run off leash and play and get their nails done at the same time. I tried it on an asphalt basket ball court, but that was a total waste of time, asphalt isn't hard enough to file nails.

I miss Cleo, she chewed her nails and kept them at a perfect length at all times.
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby katiek0417 » June 15th, 2007, 6:16 pm

On June 15 2007, 10:47 AM, mnp13 wrote:Matt, it looks like his nails have just "grown out." The longer you let the nails get, the longer the quicks get, so it's a cycle. To get them short, you have to keep them short. Once they are too long, you can trim them right to the quick and over time that is supposed to make the quick recede.

Yep, yep.....this is exactly what happens....

We tend to cut our own dogs' nails. Let's see:

Jue: actually, no need to cut his...not sure why (could be the aluminum crate), but his are always short....
Asja: Greg can usually do hers on his own
Charlie: We haven't had to cut his, yet...he seems to do pretty good at keeping them short....
Rocky: I'm not getting within 10 feet of that dog when something negative is being done to him.... :wink:
Sacha: in the off chance that they need to be done, she's usually good about letting me do them on my own.
Nisha: just rolls over and lets me do them
Kaiden: yeah, 65 lb puppy...I need Greg to help me hold him
Dru: Drive-y and likes to lick you...2 people are necessary
TJ: I can do the back on my own...I could probably do the front, but I prefer having Greg help me with the front...
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby amazincc » June 15th, 2007, 6:35 pm

I've always clipped my dogs' nails... last time Mick had it done at the vet only because he was under anesthesia already and they offered to do it...
I've never had a problem w/him - he'll just lounge on the couch and lets his paws hang down for me. :)
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby Mind_doc » June 15th, 2007, 6:43 pm

Once a week, Hannibal and Bella get the Dremmel. They don't LOVE it, but they do tolerate it for the treat afterwards. We have been doing it since day one so they are used to it. I helped a friend TRY to do his 5 year old APBT after I commented that it looked like his dog could climb a tree. About an hour and 3lbs of sweat later, only one paw was done. I think he just went back to the vet.
Mind_doc
Just Whelped

Postby Fear_the_Sheeple » June 15th, 2007, 11:50 pm

Caesar's good about it, even if I've clipped his quick a few times. :oops: Damn black nails! I hope there's a tennis court near the next place I live, that sounds like a much better idea. lol
Fear_the_Sheeple
Enlightened Bully

Postby Malli » June 16th, 2007, 1:35 am

I have always clipped Oscar's myself. Sometimes he trys to throw a fit, and I tell him to deal, or failing that, I sit on him. He knows that we don't stop until I'm done, and its just easier not to fight with me; he doesn't like it (obviously) but what mum says goes...
He does have long nails, I've had 2 vets tell me they are fine, although I wish they were shorter...
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby pitbullmamaliz » June 16th, 2007, 10:55 am

I'm a big fan of the tennis court too. Although her dew claws are getting a little long, so I'll have to clip those - since she only has them on the front, I'll just snip 'em when she's sleeping, quick and easy.

Here's a question for you all - I've read/heard before that if you can hear your dog's nails clicking on the floor, they're too long. Well, I can hear Inara's, but they're pretty damned short! I'm attaching a photo of her foot for everyone's viewing pleasure:

What do you guys think?
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Next

Return to Training & Behavior